Porcupine Tree VS. Tool

Which band is better?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Which band is better?

• Porcupine Tree
    • Tool

I think polls like this are meaningless as far as the results. Unless your a die hard fan of both bands, the votes just constitute a popularity contest.

In the end the result is... schla03.gif

Tool had ONLY two albums I moderately liked at one point in my life...now it lost nearly all its relevancy to me.

Porcupine Tree on the other hand I had a huge phase with at the turn of the decade and while I’ve gone on and listened to other stuff over the years that’s speaks to the present me, the band still holds up as one of my all time favorite bands...so yeah they’re the better band to me.

• Like 1

A bit of a necro-posting here, but still a viable poll to me...

I've been listening to Tool for much longer than PT, having bought Undertow the second week it was on sale in 1990-something (1993?). I drifted away from them as they got harder but my musical interests did not at the time, and then I reconnected with them around 2002. Have been an avid Tool fan since. APC as well, although mostly their first two albums. Tool is a masterful art rock/prog band, creating dark sonic soundscapes and having some exceptional compositions. Danny Carey is a hell of a drummer, and Maynard's vocals are perfectly suited for their style. As a bassist I like the fact they let theirs be active in the music, likely a requirement since they're a musical 3 piece like Rush. The problem with Tool is they can be a bit repetitive. Adam Jones is a visual artist first, guitarist second, and I feel that it sometimes weighs the band down. His approach to the instrument hasn't changed very much over the years, but he's a genius at layering effects and has a signature 'sound' [tone, attack] which is a reminiscent quality of many of our guitar legends. He's the Tom Petty of prog guitarists, he writes good metal/prog hooks but can't play lead worth a shit.

Porcupine Tree got my vote. Although I came to discover the band around FoaBP, I'll still play their music regularly. Steven Wilson's solo career, as well as enjoying O.r.k., keeps my PT memory alive. They're all exceptional musicians in different ways, Gavin obviously being the standout. There's more musical variety and dare I say maturity with PT I've mostly found lacking in Tool. PT just seem to know how to write *any* kind of genre/style song they want, and make it wholly PT. I also connect more with the lyrics on most PT material, whereas I find Tool more challenging and sometimes a touch clumsy at delivering their message. It could also be an age thing, I'm in my 40s now and angst isn't nearly as high on my list of requirements from the bands I listen to.

Edited by stoopid
  • Like 1

I'm with Stoopid!

Surprised I didn't vote in this poll in 2009; was probably too difficult a choice to make. I love both bands. PT is among my "Top Tier" of 6 bands (Rush, Zep, Krimson, Floyd, Yes, PT/SW), Tool is very nearly in that top tier - a band I was an earlier adopter for (Undertow), have seen many times in concert, and totally in awe of the drums of Danny Carey (big influence in my drumming development). It's hard for me to define why Tool is not in my top tier - I think it is related to the sameness of vibe I get from Tool, whereas PT has a wider range of material. This could also be related to the limited output that Tool has had. Steven Wilson's excellent solo work and concerts keep the flame of PT alive for me too - whereas, Tool's more recent tours (I've seen two) are just sorta rehashing and going through motions to a degree.

Also, Stoopid, are you really sure that you can't find some angst-inducing things going on in the world to relate to? ha ha ha Seriously, sometimes I need Tool or something stronger to cope.

Also, Stoopid, are you really sure that you can't find some angst-inducing things going on in the world to relate to? ha ha ha Seriously, sometimes I need Tool or something stronger to cope.

Gojira and their numerous environmental-activist inspired songs are generally enough for me. :P

• Like 1