Porcupine Tree VS. Tool

Which band is better?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Which band is better?

• Porcupine Tree
    • Tool

I like Tool, but I agree they can be repetitive. I think most people here know how I feel about Porcupine Tree, so my vote is obvious. Gavin Harrison is a great drummer, no argument here. But, Chris Maitland was an excellent drummer, too. And, PT was still an amazing band with him. For me, Steven Wilson makes the difference.

I recall seeing some kind words about tool on the porcupine tree site. not sure listed these here is what i read earlier with the link to follow:

Influences and Affinities - If you like Porcupine Tree...

Radiohead

The most important band in the mainstream at present, combining songs and experiment to great effect.

Tool

After Radiohead the most well known experimental rock band active in the world today, but with the emphasis on metal.

Nine Inch Nails

Their (his) 1999 double CD "The Fragile" was a big influence on PT for it's ambition and production.

King Crimson

The original progressive rock band, still searching, still progressing....

Jeff Buckley

The greatest singer of his generation ?

The Mars Volta

Truly contemporary 21st Century progressive rock - ambitious, fresh and stylish.

XTC

Ex-XTC member dave Gregory worked on Lightbulb Sun. One of SW's favourite bands.

The Beach Boys

Their work from 1965-73 was one of the biggest influences on PT's harmony vocal arrangements.

Meshuggah

SW's favourite metal group. Unbelievable musicianship and complexity, but also very extreme.

Katatonia

Excellent Swedish group - great rock songs with powerful emotive vocals.

Chroma Key

Ex Dream Theater's Kevin Moore. Intelligent, textural pop music.

ABBA

http://www.porcupinetree.com/community.cfm

Both amazing bands with different styles. Tool is more skull crushing than PT, but PT is more diverse in their approach. Like all my favorite bands, it depends on my mood.

Why this talk about who's better? It makes no sense. Pick the band you like and be happy, don't try to convince someone that "your" band is better.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Aug 5 2009, 08:30 AM)
QUOTE (Tinwoodsman @ Aug 5 2009, 09:25 AM)
I prefer Tool Tool Tool Tool ... Tool ... a little repetetive to some, but still Tool.

Tool is in my top 5.

PT is not on my radar.

by radar do you mean you never heard of them? or you tried but disliked it so much that is off your radar?

Compared as bands they are both great. powerful and intense music played by excellent musicians.

When you look at just the band leaders, I feel that Steven Wilson blows away Maynard in the sheer musical genius department. He certainly is far more prolific as well.

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Aug 5 2009, 12:44 PM)
Why this talk about who's better? It makes no sense. Pick the band you like and be happy, don't try to convince someone that "your" band is better.

Agreed......it is a completely subjective term.

I guess we should just talk about nothing but the greatness of Rush then. confused13.gif