Introducing friends to Rush

Moonraker

I had a friend instant message me today while I was at school. It simply read in 2 lines...

- "dude"

- "i really like permanent waves now"

This got me thinking, he was one of my first friends I effectivly introduced Rush to. I have made fans now out of quite a few more people, one I took with me to the R30 concert at SF and got him hooked. How many friends of you guys have you turned into Rush nuts? And when you turned them, what do you use as opening material for them?

When I do this, I usually start them off with Moving Pictures and Permanent Waves, the same way I started off.

Your opinions?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If they don't like Moving pictures then they usually don't like rush, but there is always a few exceptions. I haven't heard any rush fan say they didn't care for MP though. PW is also a good starter. Good idea for sure. 1022.gif

Most of the people I've introduced to Rush were roommates who just ended up hearing a lot of Rush because of how often I'm playing their stuff... kind of an introduction via osmosis thing.

Probably my toughest project, though - and greatest success - has been my husband. When I met him, he was 16 and totally into pop, early techno (Front 242, Frontline Assembly), anything using synthesizers and samplers. The less organic the music was, the better he liked it. I gave him ENDLESS crap about the stuff he listened to and told him countless times I was going to save him from a lifetime of sterile music. I knew better than to start with Rush. That would just have been too big of a leap for him to make in one try. Everything he was used to was in pure 4/4 and was very danceable.

I would play various tracks for him from different hard rock groups, and while I could tell he was getting a little bit used to the sound of REAL instruments, it wasn't going very well. Then one day I loaned him my Ozzy Osbourne "No More Tears" CD. He put that on and the opening bass line to the title track started up, and somehow everything just clicked for him - he couldn't stop listening to it and started wanting to hear more and more and more hard rock and heavy metal. He's never looked back.

When he was 21 we started dating, and I started gradually introducing him to Rush. Once we got married, we'd either each pick a couple of CDs we wanted to listen to or we'd take turns picking CD's, and I'd usually pick Rush stuff. I started with some of their newer albums (at the time that meant Presto, Roll the Bones, Counterparts and Test For Echo). He still hadn't gotten at all used to anything remotely "out there" and, by his standards, anything before Moving Pictures was DEFINATELY "out there" - and even MP through Hold Your Fire was a bit iffy. But as he heard Presto, RTB, CP and T4E more and more he found he was starting to like them a bit. Over the years I gradually expanded to picking older stuff for our player and asking him sometimes to just listen to one of their albums to see what he thought about it.

In the last about 4 years, he's finally come around to being something of a fan. He's nowhere NEAR as entheusiastic as I am, but he greatly admires their musicianship, he likes some of the older stuff, and came with me to the concert this year where he really had a good time. Given where he started from, I consider that quite the accomplishment!

ALOT!!! Most have been open to Rush, thought they were gone or havent heard of them. We have been mostly successfull in recruiting Rush fans!!! biggrin.gif

I am SO far from being able to recruit new fans...I still get the blank stare and the "Rush? Rush....hmm...nope, never heard of them. Tell me one of their songs. 'Spirit of Radio? Tom Sawyer? Nope, not ringing a bell."

confused13.gif

Two types of people like to meet me on the street. Rush fans, and those that say "Who's Rush" Both of them usually end up getting a copy of whatever happens to be playing at the time. I've had very few people show up in the hub or even contact me back to say thanks, so I don't know if that means that they don't like Rush enough to get more recordings, or if they are just a bunch of ungrateful bastidges.

Ive noticed that with a couple people when I ask them if they know who Rush is, they ask for a couple songs that they've done to see if they recognize them. I tell them they have made Tom Sawyer, Freewill, Spirit of Radio, Limelight, Subdivisions, Closer to the Heart, Working Man. Some have answered that they have heard a few of those songs mentioned on the radio, but had absolutely no idea it was the same band. After that, he bought Moving Pictures, but I havent heard from him in the last 2 years so I dont know if hes become a bigger fan now.

Yea I have a problem too I wanna make a really good CD (80 min) and I dunno what songs to give to my friend....she's 27 so she knows come of their songs but not all the good ones....please help.....I guess list what songs you would put on the cd! thanks! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (D-13 @ Sep 10 2004, 02:33 PM)
Yea I have a problem too I wanna make a really good CD (80 min) and I dunno what songs to give to my friend....she's 27 so she knows come of their songs but not all the good ones....please help.....I guess list what songs you would put on the cd! thanks! biggrin.gif

Highlights from Chronicles would be a way to go. Adding a few songs from post 90s and you got a cd.

Ones not to leave out (keeping in mind this is female)

Time Stand Still

Mystic Rhythms

The Pass

Animate

Subdivisions

Closer To The Heart

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Sep 10 2004, 03:55 PM)
Yea I have a problem too I wanna make a really good CD (80 min) and I dunno what songs to give to my friend....she's 27 so she knows come of their songs but not all the good ones....please help.....I guess list what songs you would put on the cd! thanks!  biggrin.gif

Highlights from Chronicles would be a way to go. Adding a few songs from post 90s and you got a cd.

Time Stand Still

Mystic Rhythms

The Pass

Animate

Subdivisions

Closer To The Heart

Thanks moony! I won't leave those out fur sure! trink36.gif

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Sep 10 2004, 05:55 PM)
Yea I have a problem too I wanna make a really good CD (80 min) and I dunno what songs to give to my friend....she's 27 so she knows come of their songs but not all the good ones....please help.....I guess list what songs you would put on the cd! thanks!  biggrin.gif

Time Stand Still

Mystic Rhythms

The Pass

Animate

Subdivisions

Closer To The Heart

Er.... no offense, but just because she's female doesn't NECESSARILY mean she'd want all the "wimpy" songs smile.gif If I wasn't already a Rush fan, the songs you list wouldn't do a whole lot to convince me to listen to more.

What kind of stuff does she listen to normally, D-13? Your best bet would be to find some songs that are somewhat similar in sound and feel to what she generally likes, and then kind of "work your way out" toward the other stuff from there. If she's mainly into pop, then many of the songs Moonraker suggests would be great. If she's more into, say, Van Halen and Aerosmith or something of that nature, start with some of the "arena rockers" from the PeW/MP era. If she's a grunge head, T4E and VT would make a good starting point. Luckily, Rush has been through so many sounds and styles, it's not that hard to find something that's likely to go well with whatever she's currently into (unless it's country, serious Hip-Hop or Soul....) biggrin.gif

My wife has been "forced" to listen to Rush for 15 years, but this year I made her first Rush mix CD and she loves it now (been 6 months in her car). Here is what I put on it:

The Pass

Time Stand Still

Half The World

Presto

Losing It

Subdivisions

Limelight

Cold Fire

Everyday Glory

Nobody's Hero

Mission

Different Strings

Ghost Of A Chance

Bravado

The Analog Kid

I am ready to make a second one, so any suggestions, let me know smile.gif

My husband introduced me to Rush 17 years ago. It has been a love we have shared ever since. Infact, we drove to Houston to see THE GUYS for our 13th wedding anniversary this year.

We have a 10 year old daughter and a 5 year old son who fight over which Rush son we play first in the car. We're helping get the next generation of Rush fans started! 653.gif

I forgot to add, my son shares his birthday with Geddy!! He thanks that's the coolest thing in the world!! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (2112babe @ Sep 11 2004, 08:49 PM)
My husband introduced me to Rush 17 years ago. It has been a love we have shared ever since. Infact, we drove to Houston to see THE GUYS for our 13th wedding anniversary this year.
We have a 10 year old daughter and a 5 year old son who fight over which Rush son we play first in the car. We're helping get the next generation of Rush fans started! 653.gif

hey welcome to the board! I have a 3 year old daughter who loves Rush already too smile.gif She wanted to hear "Leave that thing alone" 3x in the car today trink39.gif

Thanks for the welcome.

My 5 year olds favorite is Coldfire and my 10 year olds is Resits and YYZ.

I love seeing the kids get into Rush instead of that other stuff that's out there.

If nothing else, we gave our kids the best tasted in Music!! biggrin.gif

Archived