• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#61 invisibleairwaves

invisibleairwaves

Tim Horton

• Members *
  • 17352 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 12:42 AM

Since fledge is MIA, I'll say it: make more threads.

Sponsored Post

#62 Hatchetaxe&saw

Hatchetaxe&saw

Hail the mighty Lag!

• Members *
  • 10840 posts
  • Interests:Misanthropy.

Posted 01 August 2009 - 06:10 AM

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Aug 1 2009, 05:32 AM)
QUOTE (RushFanForever @ Jul 30 2009, 01:04 PM)
I am going to let this post slide since with the posting I made about Rush and the Grateful Dead that is quoted in Neil's book "Traveling Music" makes this legitimate.

However the posting about KC and The Sunshine and Rush is ridiculous. There is no connection whatsoever with both bands.

You do know that these are joke threads, right?  laugh.gif  

Everything's not a Rush reference, sometimes we're kidding around.

That KC thread is deathly serious.
It's well known that KC of said KC & The Sunshine Band is an avowed disciple of one Ayn Rand, he's a keen libertarian and loves Scottish Single Malt whisky.....and Baby Give It Up and La Villa Strangiato could be the same song. bolt.gif  

#63 apetersvt

apetersvt

The Professor

• Members
  • 3487 posts
  • Interests:wine (good beer and cheap liquor actually), women, and song

Posted 01 August 2009 - 05:37 PM

While we're on the subject.......

Happy Birthday Jerry smile.gif  

#64 Xanadu93

Xanadu93

I'm a dude!

• Members *
  • 22391 posts
  • Interests:My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

also, music, sports, politics, reading, writing, and

Video Games: Ratchet & Clank series, Burnout 3: Takedown, Jak & Daxter series, Motor Storm, Pocket Tanks, Space Pinball

Movies: The Breakfast Club, Star Wars series, Forrest Gump, Full Metal Jacket, Pirates of the Caribbean series, The Green Mile, Epic Movie, Don't Be a Menace

TV Shows: Family Guy, American Dad, Two and a Half Men, The Big Bang Theory, Teen Titans, The Simpsons, Deadliest Catch

Posted 01 August 2009 - 05:38 PM

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Aug 1 2009, 01:42 AM)
Since fledge is MIA, I'll say it: make more threads.

laugh.gif  

#65 tangy

tangy

The Great Progholio

• Members
  • 9699 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 06:08 PM

QUOTE (apetersvt @ Aug 1 2009, 05:37 PM)
While we're on the subject.......

Happy Birthday Jerry smile.gif

yes.gif  happy birthday jerry!  1022.gif  common001.gif  cool10.gif  

#66 tangy

tangy

The Great Progholio

• Members
  • 9699 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 03:44 PM

View Postrushgoober, on 28 July 2009 - 08:16 AM, said:

It's comparing apples and oranges.

I will say this, however:

Grateful Dead - best American group of all time
Rush - best Canadian group of all time

Bump!

#67 daveyt

daveyt

Non Sequitur

• Members *
  • 8335 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 09:29 PM

a couple rock & roll books I have read on the subject state the dead f***ing sucked live (greg allman, john fogerty). btw Sebastian Bach's book is chock full of Rush references as you already would have guessed.

#68 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 59548 posts
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 22 February 2018 - 12:05 AM

View Postdaveyt, on 21 February 2018 - 09:29 PM, said:

a couple rock & roll books I have read on the subject state the dead f***ing sucked live
:eyeroll:

The Dead are an iconic live band.

#69 Alien Girl

Alien Girl

So Far So Good

• Members *
  • 2279 posts
  • Interests:Interests?...I have no interests...I'm not an interesting person. Very one dimensional...like cardboard...or toast.

Posted 22 February 2018 - 01:11 AM

:eh:

I'm not even going to dignify this w/ an answer.

#70 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

My name is Earl

• Members
  • 32410 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 01:28 AM

I knew I wrote my story on here before about the "DEAD HEAD" street sign in my parents neighborhood!  Timing is everything!

THE GRATEFUL DEAD SUCK!

One of the worst bands even created by MAN.

Stoners, acid droppers, ultra liberals, hippies, dirty stinky sweaty band.

Rush is to Ronald Reagan as The Grateful Dead is to Hillary Clinton.  

Signed,

Ayn Rand

LOL!

#71 tangy

tangy

The Great Progholio

• Members
  • 9699 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 09:28 AM

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 22 February 2018 - 01:28 AM, said:

I knew I wrote my story on here before about the "DEAD HEAD" street sign in my parents neighborhood!  Timing is everything!

THE GRATEFUL DEAD SUCK!

One of the worst bands even created by MAN.

Stoners, acid droppers, ultra liberals, hippies, dirty stinky sweaty band.

Rush is to Ronald Reagan as The Grateful Dead is to Hillary Clinton.  

Signed,

Ayn Rand

LOL!

Homeslice you might want to get an asterisk!

Funny thing is you are judging a book by its cover.

I would like to hear from other deadheads but imo rush is far more liberal or progressive leaning lyrically speaking.

#72 Alph Seeker

Alph Seeker

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3105 posts
  • Interests:Flyfishing, flytying, motorcycling, archery, skiing, snowboarding...

Posted 24 February 2018 - 07:03 PM

Why did this old thread get bumped?  Ironically I was just musing to myself the other day about the fact that some people who know I am a die-hard Rush fan are surprised to learn I also love the Dead.  Not in the same way - totally depends on the mood I am in, but for chill out music, I love 'em.

#73 daveyt

daveyt

Non Sequitur

• Members *
  • 8335 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 05:35 PM

View Postgoose, on 22 February 2018 - 12:05 AM, said:

a couple rock & roll books I have read on the subject state the dead f***ing sucked live

trust me I'm not that ignorant and I think it's funny how some artists have vey strong opinions on other bands. I'm sure it could have been a bad night but I also know that some of their early shows were "interesting."

#74 Alph Seeker

Alph Seeker

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3105 posts
  • Interests:Flyfishing, flytying, motorcycling, archery, skiing, snowboarding...

Posted 26 February 2018 - 11:35 AM

View Postdaveyt, on 25 February 2018 - 05:35 PM, said:

View Postgoose, on 22 February 2018 - 12:05 AM, said:

trust me I'm not that ignorant and I think it's funny how some artists have vey strong opinions on other bands. I'm sure it could have been a bad night but I also know that some of their early shows were "interesting."

Regardless of what some books say, there is an abundance of live recordings available for you to listen (and watch) and decide for yourself.

#75 pjbear05

pjbear05

Solar Federalist

• Members *
  • 2223 posts
  • Interests:Beer and music.

Posted 02 March 2018 - 12:34 PM

I don't even need one hand to count the Dead songs I like.  Garcia was a so-so guitarist, and the rest of the band was shite.

#76 Ron2112

Ron2112

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 607 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 10:10 AM

View Postpjbear05, on 02 March 2018 - 12:34 PM, said:

I don't even need one hand to count the Dead songs I like.  Garcia was a so-so guitarist, and the rest of the band was shite.

Spoken as someone who apparently knows NOTHING about the guitar or music in general.

Regardless of whether you like the GD's music, philosophy, whatever, Garcia is an iconic guitar player for a reason.  The man was a living, breathing books of guitar scales and modes, and the way he can slip into such modal solos from one version of a song to the next is stunning.  It demonstrates a knowledge of the fretboard that few, if any, other gutarists have achieved.

As for the GD in general, you can like their songs or not (I happen to love a great deal of it), their approach to their business model with regards to how they interact with their fanbase was revolutionary.  

THey set up a ticketing system that ensured fair access to good seats for all their fans -- something that most modern bands STILL haven't mastered.  

They made each concert a rare and unique event by changing their set list every single night.  

By allowing taping and free trading of their shows, they created a demand for official product -- to include concert seats -- which was nearly unprecedented.

There's a reason why year-to-year when Jerry was still alive that the GD were consistently the highest-grossing live act in the world.  The only band who could touch them money-wise was Pink Floyd, in 1994.

#77 tangy

tangy

The Great Progholio

• Members
  • 9699 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 10:18 AM

View PostRon2112, on 05 March 2018 - 10:10 AM, said:

View Postpjbear05, on 02 March 2018 - 12:34 PM, said:

Spoken as someone who apparently knows NOTHING about the guitar or music in general.

Regardless of whether you like the GD's music, philosophy, whatever, Garcia is an iconic guitar player for a reason.  The man was a living, breathing books of guitar scales and modes, and the way he can slip into such modal solos from one version of a song to the next is stunning.  It demonstrates a knowledge of the fretboard that few, if any, other gutarists have achieved.

As for the GD in general, you can like their songs or not (I happen to love a great deal of it), their approach to their business model with regards to how they interact with their fanbase was revolutionary.  

THey set up a ticketing system that ensured fair access to good seats for all their fans -- something that most modern bands STILL haven't mastered.  

They made each concert a rare and unique event by changing their set list every single night.  

By allowing taping and free trading of their shows, they created a demand for official product -- to include concert seats -- which was nearly unprecedented.

There's a reason why year-to-year when Jerry was still alive that the GD were consistently the highest-grossing live act in the world.  The only band who could touch them money-wise was Pink Floyd, in 1994.

Great post. Fantastic players who were about having a great time

#78 HalfwayToGone

HalfwayToGone

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 874 posts
  • Interests:Music—listening and performing.

Posted 08 March 2018 - 07:05 AM

I'll go ahead and disagree.  Knowing a lot of scales means nothing if all you do with it is noodle around for a half-hour at a time.  The reason the dead had such a huge following is because 90% or more of their fans were obliterated on acid or toward the end, ecstasy.  I tried very hard to give them a chance, and saw them 4 times while Garcia was still alive.  I've had a "thing" for plenty of other guitarists who noodle, but Jerry's noodles bored me to no end every single time--literally, I'd be looking around trying to get a hit off someone's joint and waiting for it to be over.  When they actually played songs and sang, they were a decent live band, but the only part of the show that even slightly interested me was the big drum jam, and that's only because I'm a drummer.  The one other thing you could say about the bands is that Rush came from the entirely opposite approach to performance--extremely rehearsed and pretty consistent, which lends itself to putting a lot more mental effort into really nailing and nuancing each performance, as opposed to just flying by the seat of their pants and crashing on a regular basis.  I'm sure I remember tons of times my friends commenting about dead shows, saying things like, "oh, Jerry must've gotten some really crappy drugs that night."  Never had to worry about that at a Rush show--their bad nights were still pretty good.  On the other hand, for people who have bootleg fetishes, dead tapes from one show to the next are much more unique, while rush boots from any one tour are probably similar other than sound quality and how perfectly or not they played on a given night.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users