That Harry Potter Thread Is Growing Like A Snail's

RUSHHEAD666

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jul 25 2009, 12:47 PM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jul 25 2009, 10:49 AM)
QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jul 25 2009, 12:28 PM)
I think Earl has an inappropriate crush on Harry, he's just saying other people do to try and deny the truth...

tongue.gif

You could be on to something there! laugh.gif

laugh.gif

tongue.gif

"DEATH TO ALL BUT METAL!"

"Heavy Metal" Rules!! To each their own!!!

Signed,

STEEL PANTHER

It certainly wasn't the best movie......but at the time I thought it was cool......I just don't know how anyone can say it's the worst movie they've ever seen, but that's cool......

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Movies generally need the following things in order to be any good

1. Interesting/engaging plot

2. Character development

and in the case of movies based off of other media (ie comic books), you must also be able to answer "yes" to the following question

3. Can the movie stand on its own rather than relying on the existing IP to make sense?

Heavy Metal failed miserably in all three areas. I know it was based off of a comic book or whatever, and that was probably part of the problem. The characters sucked and the stories they were in sucked even more.

The Harry Potter movies also increasingly sucked at that third element. I can enjoy the HP movies because I have read the source material, but I get the feeling that a person who has not read the books would be utterly lost and confused at times. Lots of stuff in the HP movies, including very important elements from the books, was never explained on screen, or at least not adequately.

So let's get back to bashing Heavy Metal! I sure love doing it smile.gif

Yea, the characters suck. What other movie can you think of where the supposed "hero" of the main story doesn't actually speak? This was an animated movie made in the 1980s, so there's really no excuse. Even Wall-E made some noises resembling speech, and quite honestly Wall-E's dialogue with EVE was about ten million times more interesting than the words I heard in Heavy Metal.

The characters had no real development, and they were two dimensional. Again, maybe they are explained better in the comic, but that's the problem...the movie is not the same thing! None of the characters lasted long enough on screen to really be explained well. The same thing happened to the stories, I bet. Maybe they are very interesting and well developed in the comic, but the same problem arises yet again that the movie is NOT the comic. Movies have to be able to stand on their own. You can't turn the existing IP into a crutch for the movie. It's just lazy.

There, I explained it. Hopefully I'm still allowed to hang around TRF tongue.gif

and if you want to explain how very wrong I am, go ahead. You have the power to do pretty much anything you like (except make me watch that movie again)

QUOTE (Slime @ Jul 26 2009, 09:08 PM)

2. Character development

and in the case of movies based off of other media (ie comic books), you must also be able to answer "yes" to the following question

3. Can the movie stand on its own rather than relying on the existing IP to make sense?

Heavy Metal failed miserably in all three areas. I know it was based off of a comic book or whatever, and that was probably part of the problem. The characters sucked and the stories they were in sucked even more.

The Harry Potter movies also increasingly sucked at that third element. I can enjoy the HP movies because I have read the source material, but I get the feeling that a person who has not read the books would be utterly lost and confused at times. Lots of stuff in the HP movies, including very important elements from the books, was never explained on screen, or at least not adequately.

Yea, the characters suck. What other movie can you think of where the supposed "hero" of the main story doesn't actually speak? This was an animated movie made in the 1980s, so there's really no excuse. Even Wall-E made some noises resembling speech, and quite honestly Wall-E's dialogue with EVE was about ten million times more interesting than the words I heard in Heavy Metal.

The characters had no real development, and they were two dimensional. Again, maybe they are explained better in the comic, but that's the problem...the movie is not the same thing! None of the characters lasted long enough on screen to really be explained well. The same thing happened to the stories, I bet. Maybe they are very interesting and well developed in the comic, but the same problem arises yet again that the movie is NOT the comic. Movies have to be able to stand on their own. You can't turn the existing IP into a crutch for the movie. It's just lazy.

There, I explained it. Hopefully I'm still allowed to hang around TRF tongue.gif

and if you want to explain how very wrong I am, go ahead. You have the power to do pretty much anything you like (except make me watch that movie again)

When you watched Heavy Metal were you seriously expecting huge intelligent dialogues and and deep plot?? Sounds like your expectations were pretty high going in.........it wasn't supposed to be movie along the lines of HP.......like I siad before, I didn't think it was great (it was ok), it's what it was........I didn't take it too seriously.......

Edited by WCFIELDS

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jul 27 2009, 12:13 PM)

2. Character development

When you watched Heavy Metal were you seriously expecting huge intelligent dialogues and and deep plot?? Sounds like your expectations were pretty high going in.........it wasn't supposed to be movie along the lines of HP.......like I siad before, I didn't think it was great (it was ok), it's what it was........I didn't take it too seriously.......

I was expecting something resembling plot and character development. Good dialogue is also something I like seeing. All of those are things I expect from EVERY movie. I may not have been expecting Shawshank Redemption (that movie is probably the polar opposite of Heavy Metal), but I expected SOMETHING. They might have at least attempted to have a story and character development.

QUOTE (Slime @ Jul 26 2009, 08:26 PM)

2. Character development

I was expecting something resembling plot and character development. Good dialogue is also something I like seeing. All of those are things I expect from EVERY movie. I may not have been expecting Shawshank Redemption (that movie is probably the polar opposite of Heavy Metal), but I expected SOMETHING. They might have at least attempted to have a story and character development.

I think Heavy Metal is one of those movies you have to be on drugs to enjoy. On drugs - very good movie. Not on drugs - not so much. no.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 26 2009, 09:03 PM)

2. Character development

I think Heavy Metal is one of those movies you have to be on drugs to enjoy. On drugs - very good movie. Not on drugs - not so much. no.gif

Gary!

I loved this movie when I was a teen-ager in the Eighties. Never took drugs! I was too young. To quote Weird Al I was "White And Nerdy." Still am I suppose. I still don't do drugs but I do like ice cold brew.

Anyway I used to sneak out late at night into the family room when my parents were asleep and watch "Heavy Metal" on HBO or CINEMAX. I even taped the movie on my parents VCR so I could watch it whenever I wanted to.

Even drug free people love this movie!

Again, I can't wait for a Blu-Ray remaster of this animated masterpiece.

Even the song "HEAVY METAL" rules!!

Love,

Sammy "The Red Rocker" Hagar

QUOTE (Slime @ Jul 27 2009, 12:08 PM)

2. Character development

Very extensive answer. I'd thank you for all that but I know that bashing Heavy Metal is one of your hobbies. tongue.gif

However, there are plenty of enjoyable movies with very little character development or profound dialogue [insert the title of almost any zombie movie here]. Anyways, I'm not trying to change your mind since I know that's impossible. Just sayin'.

Besides, you hate Red Barchetta [i remember you once called it 'slow and plodding' ] so already your opinion is suspect pokey.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jul 27 2009, 06:35 AM)
Besides, you hate Red Barchetta [i remember you once called it 'slow and plodding' ] so already your opinion is suspect

That ends the whole fuucking argument

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 27 2009, 02:57 PM)
Besides, you hate Red Barchetta [i remember you once called it 'slow and plodding' ] so already your opinion is suspect

laugh.gif applaudit.gif

QUOTE (Slime @ Jul 26 2009, 11:08 PM)
I can enjoy the HP movies because I have read the source material, but I get the feeling that a person who has not read the books would be utterly lost and confused at times. Lots of stuff in the HP movies, including very important elements from the books, was never explained on screen, or at least not adequately.

I both enjoy and understand the movies, and I have read not one page of a single one of the books.

So much for that argument. cool.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 27 2009, 12:57 PM)

"Red Barchetta" is "slow and plodding?" Ridiculous.

Good call Duck.

1022.gif

Edited by RUSHHEAD666

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 27 2009, 02:57 PM)

icon_really_happy_guy.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jul 27 2009, 04:05 PM)
Looks like their is a Heavy Metal 2 in the works.......

Hey dude! Please tell me that you are not talking about that terrible aminated sequel called "HEAVY METAL 2000."

I hated that one. Couldn't even get through it.

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jul 27 2009, 01:20 AM)

2. Character development

Gary!

I loved this movie when I was a teen-ager in the Eighties. Never took drugs! I was too young. To quote Weird Al I was "White And Nerdy." Still am I suppose. I still don't do drugs but I do like ice cold brew.

Anyway I used to sneak out late at night into the family room when my parents were asleep and watch "Heavy Metal" on HBO or CINEMAX. I even taped the movie on my parents VCR so I could watch it whenever I wanted to.

Love,

Wait a minute. You post like you do, and you're NOT a drug user?

Damn - I would have bet a bundle you drank the bottle of acid in college, or something.

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jul 27 2009, 05:10 PM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jul 27 2009, 04:05 PM)
Looks like their is a Heavy Metal 2 in the works.......

Hey dude! Please tell me that you are not talking about that terrible aminated sequel called "HEAVY METAL 2000."

I hated that one. Couldn't even get through it.

NO!......there was some mention of an actual Heavy Metal 2 (real sequel)on imdb........not sure how credible it is.........

QUOTE (Pags @ Jul 27 2009, 04:13 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jul 27 2009, 01:20 AM)

2. Character development

Gary!

Love,

Wait a minute. You post like you do, and you're NOT a drug user?

Damn - I would have bet a bundle you drank the bottle of acid in college, or something.

I get that shit a lot thanks for the compliment.

Believe it or not my brain cells are still intact.

Sincerely,

FRIZZLE FRY tongue.gif

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jul 27 2009, 04:18 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jul 27 2009, 05:14 PM)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tG_324xsi8

This is strange.  I accidentally found this on Youtube when searching for a new HEAVY METAL sequel.

The NECROMANCER playing along with 1981's HEAVY METAL!

ok, now that's f'n weird.......

Totally weird!!!!!!

Wow, I hope you are right about a real sequel to the original!

Before this thread, I never knew that I wasn't the only one who hated Heavy Metal. It's good to know I'm not alone!

But I doubt I'll find any allies to help me with my future "Red Barchetta is the most boring Rush song ever" thread tongue.gif

If, in some alternate universe, "Red Barchetta" ended up on the Heavy Metal soundtrack, I'd just have more reason to hate.

and isn't hate what art is all about? smile.gif

edit: punctuation

Edited by Slime

QUOTE (Slime @ Jul 27 2009, 09:35 PM)
Before this thread, I never knew that I wasn't the only one who hated Heavy Metal. It's good to know I'm not alone!

But I doubt I'll find any allies to help me with my future "Red Barchetta is the most boring Rush song ever" thread tongue.gif

If, in some alternate universe, "Red Barchetta" ended up on the Heavy Metal soundtrack, I'd just have more reason to hate.

and isn't hate what art is all about? smile.gif

edit: punctuation

I bet you have a secret passion for a band called LOVE/HATE.

If not then they are right up your alley.

Sincerely,

Jizzy Pearl tongue.gif

How original. How much have YOU contributed to the literary world? If you can sit down and write a book, much less direct and act in movies as good as the Harry Potter movies, then you can talk. schla03.gif Edited by Spindrift82