"Take Your Fingers From My Hair" And Poke Them In

RUSHHEAD666

First off, some of you who read this know that I love to bash Dream Theater on here because this is a Rush Forum.

Also I love pissing off all of you diehard DT fanatics because, well.... it's fun.

So which came first, the chicken or the egg? The Rush Or the Dream Theater?

We all know the answer to the second question.

Anyway I just wanted to mention that I finally got around to the second disc of the DT covers and I was totally floored by DT's cover or "Take Your Fingers From My Hair" by the great ZEBRA.

Randy Jackson would be proud.

I'm impressed that Dream Theater would pick this song to cover by a very underrated band. JMO

I have all the ZEBRA stuff and this band got the SHAFT over the years.

Incredible three piece.

Are there any ZEBRA fans on here?

I bet there are.

I find it so ironic that after listening to the new DT album over the weekend that I must laugh in retrospect to that last DT thread I wrote when I made fun of "A Nightmare To Remember."

I love that song.

Especially the car crash.

RUSH ON!

Earl

I liked Zebra.

I have the record...the one with the chess piece on the cover...whatever it's called. That was pretty good record. I really like the Intro to Who's Behind The Door, and Tell Me What You Want.

Aside from the record and those songs that all I know though.

Good band.

I used to LOVE Zebra, and I had their first two albums. Currently, all I have is a "Best of" CD.

"Who's Behind the Door" got me started, thanks to MTV, but I also love "Tell Me What You Want," the Yes-inspired "The La La Song," and -from the second album - "Bears."

Zebra were great! Great three-piece! I too am surprised DT acknowledged them with a cover song. Not too many people know about Zebra, alas.

I need to hear the tune yet. I saw Zebra many years back and they totally rocked. I would have liked to see DT do either The La La Song or Who's Behind the Door. They picked a decent song, but not my first choice. I'm sure they tear it up.

I wore the grooves out of their first release, and got to see them in concert in Spokane. A really good proggish band - solid musicians.

QUOTE (goose @ Jun 29 2009, 02:55 PM)
I wore the grooves out of their first release, and got to see them in concert in Spokane. A really good proggish band - solid musicians.

That's awesome Goose!

A few years ago Randy Jackson did some cool Led Zeppelin covers gig down in San Diego.

I was invited to go backstage and hang out since one of my buddies who lives down there is friends with Randy.

It never panned out for me but I heard that the show was great.

I would love to see ZEBRA. Never have.

I do have a cool Randy Jackson pick!

Cheers!

• Like 1

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jun 29 2009, 03:16 PM)
I have seen Zebra at least 50 times.

I don't know why Dream Theater is even bothering doing their music. Or anybody else's. I don't know why they don't stick to their own original music, which surely they have enough of.

Shine!

That's incredible!

Your screen name should be ZEBRAHEAD!

Hey isn't that the name of a horrible modern rock band?

I agree with you on the DT obsession of covering a ton of other bands tunage.

They do so many covers that eventually one will be good.

That Maiden cover is horrific. Same with the Crimson cover.

Even their original songs sound like covers.

No wonder they are a fun band to rip on, yet I like them!

I am an OXYMORON! LOL!

Earl

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jun 29 2009, 05:38 PM)
That Maiden cover is horrific. Same with the Crimson cover.

i think you need to re-listen to them. i really don't know how the hell you can say that . they also do a great job on the Dixie Dregs tune. i am sure you don't like that as well

1022.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jun 29 2009, 06:38 PM)
They do so many covers that eventually one will be good.
That Maiden cover is horrific.  Same with the Crimson cover.

The KC is killer!

Amazing that I could compliment DT. unsure.gif

I love the covers album, particularly the Zebra cover, I must confess I'd never heard of Zebra before, I'm assuming the Randy Jackson you've been mentioning is American Idol Randy Jackson. I didn't see that one coming!

Anyway I've ordered a couple of Zebra albums on the back of Take Your Fingers From My Hair.

Whilst they did a very good job with the Queen tribute, James' vocals on Tenement Funster are piss poor. Roger Taylor's original rasp is the only one for me, but James does a great job with Flick of the Wrist and Lily of the Valley.

The box set fukkin' rocks!!

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jul 1 2009, 03:12 AM)
I'm assuming the Randy Jackson you've been mentioning is American Idol Randy Jackson.

Common mistake, but no.

AI's Randy Jackson has done a lot of work as a bass-playing "studio musician" on albums by Bon Jovi, Journey, and many many others. But the Randy Jackson in Zebra is the singer/guitarist/creative force of the band (and a white guy); totally NOT the American Idol guy.

Compare:

http://i00.bdbphotos.com/8L/72/0000103872-25614L.jpghttp://www.rockeyez.com/interviews/zebra/r26.jpg

To muddy the waters further, there is still ANOTHER musician named Randy Jackson - Michael's brother; a member of the Jackson 5. The J5 guy and the AI guy aren't the same guy; AI's Randy Jackson is no relation to Michael.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jul 1 2009, 10:39 AM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jul 1 2009, 03:12 AM)
I'm assuming the Randy Jackson you've been mentioning is American Idol Randy Jackson.

Common mistake, but no.

AI's Randy Jackson has done a lot of work as a bass-playing "studio musician" on albums by Bon Jovi, Journey, and many many others. But the Randy Jackson in Zebra is the singer/guitarist/creative force of the band (and a white guy); totally NOT the American Idol guy.

Compare:

http://i00.bdbphotos.com/8L/72/0000103872-25614L.jpghttp://www.rockeyez.com/interviews/zebra/r26.jpg

To muddy the waters further, there is still ANOTHER musician named Randy Jackson - Michael's brother; a member of the Jackson 5. The J5 guy and the AI guy aren't the same guy; AI's Randy Jackson is no relation to Michael.

They could be twins!

Thanks GR, for clearing it up for me.

Too... many... Randy... Jacksons! laugh.gif

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jul 1 2009, 09:25 AM)
Too... many... Randy... Jacksons! laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Yes, definitely! I kinda think OUR Randy Jackson, the Zebra guy, should think about changing his name! laugh.gif

all the covers are great. especially the dixie dregs one. I just noticed Jerry Goodman plays on several songs! Very tasty.

I don't think i have heard any zebra but kept recoginizing the name. turns out he performs on the rush tribute disc- subdivisions ( which is not all that great and certainly not as good as workign man IMO).

he sings on distant early warning, subdivisions, AFTK.

I have worked with Randy Jackson and ZEBRA for 10 years now, helping get shows booked and promoted throughout the Midwest. I bring Randy to Dallas almost every year for solo acoustic performances - 3+ hours of old and new ZEBRA material in addition to classics by Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, Pink Floyd and even a couple of Rush covers.

Randy also performs "The Music of..." concerts with symphony orchestras all over the country. Performances are mostly Led Zeppelin, but some shows are Pink Floyd, others are The Eagles, and a couple The Doors shows every year. See below for the websites.

www.thedoor.com - ZEBRA's official website

www.themusicofledzeppelin.com

When I asked Randy about the DT cover, he said, "Awesome job. The ending is killer!".

Which came first, Zebra or Tim Burton ?

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jul 31 2009, 12:47 PM)
Thanks to the cover, I've Zebra's best of ordered.

good job, you will not be disappointed

1022.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Aug 2 2009, 06:19 PM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jul 31 2009, 12:47 PM)
Thanks to the cover, I've Zebra's best of ordered.

good job, you will not be disappointed

1022.gif

Looking forward to it, though amazon "are having difficulties fulfilling my order"....I'll give 'em another week, there's loads of copies on eBay!

QUOTE (DonW @ Jul 31 2009, 12:40 PM)
I have worked with Randy Jackson and ZEBRA for 10 years now, helping get shows booked and promoted throughout the Midwest. I bring Randy to Dallas almost every year for solo acoustic performances - 3+ hours of old and new ZEBRA material in addition to classics by Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, Pink Floyd and even a couple of Rush covers.

Randy also performs "The Music of..." concerts with symphony orchestras all over the country. Performances are mostly Led Zeppelin, but some shows are Pink Floyd, others are The Eagles, and a couple The Doors shows every year. See below for the websites.

www.thedoor.com - ZEBRA's official website
www.themusicofledzeppelin.com

When I asked Randy about the DT cover, he said, "Awesome job. The ending is killer!".

Very cool, and welcome to TRF! Use this thread to update us on his appearances. I'd love to see him again. It's been 20+ years.

trink39.gif