Subdivisions Cover

After watching the now famous Jacob Moon solo version, all other covers are unnecessary.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 12 2009, 11:20 AM)
After watching the now famous Jacob Moon solo version, all other covers are unnecessary.

Couldn't have said it better myself

In all fairness TRF's own Tarkus406 has a pretty sweet cover of this song on youtube too. I enjoy his version as much as Jacob Moon's cover.

I would love to hear him record this in a studio 1022.gif

This is my favorite Rush song ever, I consider my self a Subdivisions connoisseur.

Tarkus gets 11 thumbs up! yes.gif

I added it to my YouTube's best playlist on my YouTube profile.

QUOTE (Modest Man From Mandrake @ Jun 12 2009, 12:07 PM)

In all fairness TRF's own Tarkus406 has a pretty sweet cover of this song on youtube too. I enjoy his version as much as Jacob Moon's cover.

This is my favorite Rush song ever, I consider my self a Subdivisions connoisseur.

Where's the link! Post it, man!

I will check it out, but in all fairness you haven't heard me play it on my keyboards. smile.gif

It is probably my all time favorite song as well. 1022.gif

Edited by RUSH-2112

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 12 2009, 12:13 PM)

Where's the link! Post it, man!

I found these

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49Bgn19j2qs

QUOTE (RUSH-2112 @ Jun 12 2009, 12:26 PM)

I will check it out, but in all fairness you haven't heard me play it on my keyboards. smile.gif

You're right I haven't, but I have heard tarkus' and I think that it is awesome! 1022.gif

So make a video already dammit!! old.gif

QUOTE (Modest Man From Mandrake @ Jun 15 2009, 08:39 PM)

You're right I haven't, but I have heard tarkus' and I think that it is awesome! 1022.gif

If you consider yourself a subdivision conissieur, then I think your going to enjoy what I can do.

I watched Tarkus's video. Pretty good. The keyboard sound doens't sound like the original, but he did a good job playing it.

I will try to use my digital camera to record an overhead shot so everyone can see the keys being played.

I'm just not up to speed on what format to record in and how to get it compressed so I can post it up on the Internet.

First things first, let me record "my version" 653.gif

QUOTE (RUSH-2112 @ Jun 16 2009, 04:07 PM)

If you consider yourself a subdivision conissieur, then I think your going to enjoy what I can do.

I watched Tarkus's video. Pretty good. The keyboard sound doens't sound like the original, but he did a good job playing it.

I will try to use my digital camera to record an overhead shot so everyone can see the keys being played.

I'm just not up to speed on what format to record in and how to get it compressed so I can post it up on the Internet.

I did some work on the patch i was using on the Roland and I got it pretty close sounding to the original. As for the Casio, that's a piece of crap so I didn't bother laugh.gif

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Jun 16 2009, 05:41 PM)

I did some work on the patch i was using on the Roland and I got it pretty close sounding to the original. As for the Casio, that's a piece of crap so I didn't bother laugh.gif

Which one were you playing in that video?

QUOTE (RUSH-2112 @ Jun 17 2009, 09:42 AM)
QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Jun 16 2009, 05:41 PM)

Which one were you playing in that video?

Well, both. The Casio (lower) I used for the polyphonic synth and the Roland Juno-Stage (upper) i used for the monophonic lead. The Roland sounds a lot better now that it did in that video, I tweaked the patch and made it sound more Signalsy

Edited by Tarkus406

I really need to get my recording posted up.

BTW, Tarkus I watched alot of your videos. You are a good guitarist, much better than I can do.

Maybe we could do a "virtual" collaboration project together?

I can play keys on any 2.gif song, so let me know what interests you. 653.gif

QUOTE (RUSH-2112 @ Jun 22 2010, 08:08 AM)
QUOTE (mortkort @ Jun 22 2010, 09:05 AM)
that patch sounds awesome! i think you nailed it

Thanks. I perfected that patch nearly 20 years ago when i bought my very first keyboard, a Korg DW6000 (which I still have and play today).

Great synth. I had a DW-8000 for years and it had a great Subdivisions sound. It also had a Tom Sawyer sound that was amazing. I have yet to hear a Rush cover band get as good of a Tom Sawyer sound as I had. They usually forget to add the delay, which is essential. 1022.gif

QUOTE (Cowtothesky @ Jun 22 2010, 07:04 PM)
QUOTE (RUSH-2112 @ Jun 22 2010, 08:08 AM)
QUOTE (mortkort @ Jun 22 2010, 09:05 AM)

Thanks. I perfected that patch nearly 20 years ago when i bought my very first keyboard, a Korg DW6000 (which I still have and play today).

Great synth. I had a DW-8000 for years and it had a great Subdivisions sound. It also had a Tom Sawyer sound that was amazing. I have yet to hear a Rush cover band get as good of a Tom Sawyer sound as I had. They usually forget to add the delay, which is essential. 1022.gif

I have a DW8000 and EX8000 as well. All serve my purposes for playing 2.gif music

I play the DW6000 and DW8000 together for the Tom Sawyer "growl"

QUOTE (mortkort @ Jun 22 2010, 08:05 AM)

I completely agree with this statement. We've been trying to find the right patch for this for sometime now.

Here's Subdivisions Chronicles Style:

http://www.chroniclesofrush.com/media/index.cfm?item=14

Keys are just OK sound-wise. We are missing that angelic sound to it. A tad dry if you ask me.

I'll be hitting you up SOON on some business my froind.

fun fact:

I have no effects on my voice when saying Subdivisions nor am I actually farting out my mouth saying it. I just sound like that. THANK YOU NEWPORT!

QUOTE (ChroniclesOfRush @ Jun 23 2010, 09:42 AM)
QUOTE (mortkort @ Jun 22 2010, 08:05 AM)

I completely agree with this statement. We've been trying to find the right patch for this for sometime now.

Here's Subdivisions Chronicles Style:

http://www.chroniclesofrush.com/media/index.cfm?item=14

Keys are just OK sound-wise. We are missing that angelic sound to it. A tad dry if you ask me.

I'll be hitting you up SOON on some business my froind.

fun fact:

I have no effects on my voice when saying Subdivisions nor am I actually farting out my mouth saying it. I just sound like that. THANK YOU NEWPORT!

Get a Korg DW6000. They are pretty cheap.

I'll give you the patch for Subdivisions, plus a few more that I use.

Let me know about some business. Make it happen 653.gif

Do you know if there is a VST plug for the Korg DW6000? I use the Roland PK-5 combined with my racked computer and Cubase for my synth sounds. I am a midi wizard but I am not sure how I would actually use it as my module.

The keys we use are the (2)Roland A33 as controllers with a Roland JV 1080 and a Roland JV 990 stuffed with Vintage Synth and Experience expansion cards.

Do you have a working knowledge of these things?

And to finally put this thread to bed (for any non-believers still out there), here is my keyboard part playing along with the original song Subdivisions.

Rush panned slightly left and ME panned slightly right

Tell me this doesnt sound 99% accurate?

http://www.trfmusicians.com/components/com.../SUBD_Guide.mp3

Edited by RUSH-2112