Storyland

Saint NIck

Hello my Friends!

How about this for a topic; if you can remember, pick a favorite song and write about hearing it for the first time.

I have a lot of faves but for now I'll concentrate on Dreamline.

I remember it was in August of '91 when I came home from school, turned on my stereo and heard a guitar solo, then heard vocals "...we are young, wandering the face of the Earth..." and thought to myself, 'this could be Rush'.

A bunch of seconds later the dj confirmed, "#26 debut on the Z Rock 50 for a world premiere of Rush from the new cd Roll the Bones which hits stores one week from tomorrow, that's Dreamline...".

I was able to hurry up and record those few seconds of Dreamline onto cassette tape; and a few days later, actually on Sunday, September 8th I was able to get a copy of Roll the Bones. So I get home, play the tape and listening through headphones...and Dreamline just absolutely rocked.

After a couple or so listens, I figured that this song could, would, should be a great concert opener. Like Force Ten, Dreamline has that cool intro and those guitar & bass chords, with perfect complimentary hi-hat and snare drum rim clicks, build up to a great big bang open to the song...to the show.

Geddy does a tremendous job with vocals on this one. For most Rush songs I prefer the live versions, and my fave live version of Dreamline is from Different Stages. Yet, there's just something very special about these 4 minutes and 37 seconds...leading straight into Bravado.

Archived