Krautrock

rushgoober

Ok, I've started this thread for two reasons:

1. To shamelessly promote my radio show on Thursday, June 4th, 2009, which is a Krautrock theme show. More info on the show HERE.

2. To talk about this awesomely cool sub-genre of music...

Krautrock (I know, it's a horrible term, but I didn't make it up) was a sub-genre of music that existed roughly from 1969-1975 or so in Germany, even though many claim albums that were in the late 70's and beyond as also part of the genre. Most of the acknowledged classics of the genre, however, came from that period.

Krautrock was kind of a mixture of late 60's psychedelic and 70's progressive rock, but more psych than prog, and with a unique German weirdness that was rarely heard elsewhere. It's almost as if they took early Pink Floyd and space rock and mutated into something "other" featuring a lot of the early keyboard sounds the German's would become famous for.

Basically you have to hear some of this stuff to decide whether you'd like it or not, as it's tough music to describe. It's weird stuff for sure, but also some of the most original music you'll come across.

While there was a certain "Krautrock sound," most of the major groups didn't really sound much like the others. It should also be noted that there are German groups from the period who made progressive rock like Novalis, Grobschnitt, Epidaurus, Nektar, etc. These groups, while great, and while German, really sounded more like UK prog than anything else, and didn't really have that unique Krautrock feel.

Some of my fave groups of the genre:

Agitation Free

Amon Duul II

Ash Ra Tempel

Can

Cluster

Faust

Kraftwerk

Neu!

Popol Vuh

Klaus Schulze

Tangerine Dream

Some essential titles IMHO:

Agitation Free - Malesch

Agitation Free - Second

Amon Duul II - Phallus Dei

Amon Duul II - Yeti

Amon Duul II - Dance of the Lemmings

Ash Ra Tempel - Ash Ra Tempel

Ash Ra Tempel - Join Inn

Can - Ege Bamyasi

Can - Tago Mago

Faust - Faust

Faust - The Faust Tapes

Kraftwerk - Kraftwerk

Kraftwerk - Kraftwerk II

Kraftwerk - Rolf & Florian

Neu! - Neu!

Neu! - Neu! 2

Neu! - Neu! 75

Popol Vuh - In Den Garten Pharaos

Popol Vuh - Seligpreisung

Popol Vuh - Hosianna Mantra

Popol Vuh - Einsjager & Seibenjager

Popol Vuh - Aguirre

Popol Vuh - Das Hohlied Salomos

Tangerine Dream - Electronic Meditation

Tangerine Dream - Phaedra

Edited by rushgoober
  • Like 2

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jun 3 2009, 03:08 PM)
I recently started listening to Krautrock and I must say I enjoy what I've heard very much!

So far my favorite albums are:

Can - Ege Bamyasi
Faust - Faust IV
Neu! - Neu! '75

It's really interesting and unique stuff. yes.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 3 2009, 06:25 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jun 3 2009, 03:08 PM)
I recently started listening to Krautrock and I must say I enjoy what I've heard very much!

So far my favorite albums are:

Can - Ege Bamyasi
Faust - Faust IV
Neu! - Neu! '75

It's really interesting and unique stuff. yes.gif

They are full of great hooks! I can't help but be pulled in!

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jun 3 2009, 04:35 PM)
Can
Faust
Amon Duul II
Kraftwerk

These are my Krautrock buddies, Amon Duul is quite the possibly the most weird yet keenly endearing music I've ever heard. Mad as a box of frogs on speed.

The first three Amon Duul II albums are completely essential.

If you're talking pure weirdness though, nothing compares with Faust. That stuff is OUT THERE. yes.gif bncegrn.gif

If I HAD to choose one Krautrock album as the most important album of the genre, it would be one that would be very inaccessible to a lot of people.

Basically this is one insanely weird mindf*ck of an album. It has a quality to it that I've always admired and have rarely heard done well, and that is for the music to be a continually shifting and changing sound collage. It's a no holds barred celebration of music and insanity that sounds like nothing else.

Supposedly this album was released in the UK for the price of a single, enough to make it chart pretty highly, even though many people must have hated it.

This album might even be weirder than Captain Beefheart's Trout Mask Replica - certainly it's far less structured. I would love to play a full album side from this album sometime on my radio show, but I fear I'd lose half my listeners - this shit is OUT THERE, man!

Anyway, it's 1973's The Faust Tapes by Faust.

http://christophersvensson.org/work/recent/empathy/images/faust_tapes-bridget_riley.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e85/rushgoober6/faust.jpg

Edited by rushgoober

bumper.gif

Have been on a major Krautrock phase of late. Lot of Neu!, Popol Vuh, La Duesseldorf, Cluster, Harmonia, Tritonus, Michael Bundt, Guru Guru......and so on.

You can see why Eno and Bowie f*cked off to Berlin in the mid-70's. These artists were WAY ahead of the game.

QUOTE (RushHour @ Jan 4 2011, 01:26 PM)
The title of this thread is insulting. No one uses the word "kraut" anymore. It's a pejorative term. It's like using the N word or calling an Italian-American a "guido."

It's not meant to be insulting. It's far from a great term, but it is the accepted term for the genre - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krautrock

QUOTE (RushHour @ Jan 4 2011, 04:26 PM)
The title of this thread is insulting.  No one uses the word "kraut" anymore.  It's a pejorative term.  It's like using the N word or calling an Italian-American a "guido."

Its not like Rushgoober made up the term to offend anyone. Its a genre from the past and that is what it was called. atickhum.gif

Edited by tick

QUOTE (RushHour @ Jan 4 2011, 03:26 PM)
The title of this thread is insulting. No one uses the word "kraut" anymore. It's a pejorative term. It's like using the N word or calling an Italian-American a "guido."

Then shouldn't they be referred to as the "K" word and the "G" word? unsure.gif

Laydees an' Gennulmen, to these ears, the finest piece of Deutsche Electronische Musik ever performed. By the way, the compilation this comes from is a fantastic gateway to all things K-rock. I believe part 2 is out now.

Edited by Hatchetaxe&saw

Laydees an' Gennulmen, to these ears, the finest piece of Deutsche Electronische Musik ever performed. By the way, the compilation this comes from is a fantastic gateway to all things K-rock. I believe part 2 is out now.

Very cool, and something I've never heard before, which is always welcome! I wouldn't classify it as among the best ever in Krautrock, but it's very cool and I'll pursue his work.

Here's some German sonic mind candy to blow your mind:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=010jns1VcfU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWKfo3LDI1Q

Very cool, and something I've never heard before, which is always welcome! I wouldn't classify it as among the best ever in Krautrock, but it's very cool and I'll pursue his work.

Here's some German sonic mind candy to blow your mind:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=010jns1VcfU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWKfo3LDI1Q

Have those, anything else? I need something new.