PUPPETKING! THE DECEMBERISTS RULE!

Hey fellow Rush fanatics!

I had to drop in and thank Puppetking for writing about The Decemberists a few years ago. Thanks bud!

Wendy and I finally saw them last night at The Fox in Oakland!

It was INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!

I think "The Hazards Of Love" could be my album of the year.

Dude, I love this band!!!

I know I haven't been on here in a long time but slowly this band has been moving up my Top Five List of favorite bands.

Coheed & Cambria has moved up too. Wendy and I went down for a few NEVERENDER shows in L.A.

Anyway, how's the journalism coming along?

I remember reading your interview with Jenny and that was when I decided to go out and pick up some Decemberists!!

I'm going to hit Jane's Addiction and Nine Inch Nails tomorrow!!

Hope all is well RUSH FAMILY!

Been very busy!

Hi to Cindy and of course my long lost friend Treeduck!

RUSH ON!

Earl

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ May 21 2009, 11:54 AM)
The new album is splendid.

Yeah Axe!

The show was sweet! They played the entire "Hazards" album all the way through.

Then they took and extended break because Colin cut his finger. He was bleeding on his guitar!

The second half of the show was great too!

They played a bunch of older tunes along with some odds and ends. Some of the band marched down the back of The Fox and into the crowd. They did this strange song about the Donner Party. The drummer, the guitar player and the two female singers were all in the crowd. Hell they walked right by Wendy and I.

Awesome night!!!

1022.gif

So the show tonight was basically three different shows. The first hour, they played Hazards of Love in its entirety, with fancy lighting and stuff. Sounded great. The transitions were seamless. Also, Becky Stark is gorgeous. Never really picked up on that before. Second half of the show, they came out and played some songs from their other albums. That was a pretty fun set, very loose, with a hilarious improv section in the middle of "The Chimbley Sweep" where Colin and John (the drummer) switched instruments. Kind of ended earlier than I would have liked, only about 8 songs. And then for their encore they randomly decided they were going to reenact the Oregon Trail in the middle of the crowd. By some distance the most awesome/surreal concert moment I have ever witnessed. I am not making this up, and I'm not even sure it really happened. But I just went back and looked at my pictures, and apparently it did.

The best of the four times I've seen them so far.

Hey King!

You have me by three times!

I never told you that Wendy bought us tickets for the "CRANE WIFE" tour and I got sick so we didn't go. That really pissed me off because I think "Crane Wife" is also a masterpiece.

Anyway it sounds like you had a great time and I agree with everything you have said. Glad to hear that Colin didn't cut his finger again.

So that is very interesting.

In Oakland they did the Donner Party in the crowd and up there they did the Oregon Trail in the crowd.

This band is something special man and you knew it years ago Puppet.

I saw that Colbert Decemberists video too. Incredible.

Hey go figure King. Two of our favorite bands were on the Colbert Show.

RUSH ON!

Goodnight....

Earl

PS: I put a nice picture of the Decemberists from the Oakland show on my iPhone wallpaper!

Edited by RUSHHEAD666

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ May 22 2009, 01:35 AM)
I never told you that Wendy bought us tickets for the "CRANE WIFE" tour and I got sick so we didn't go. That really pissed me off because I think "Crane Wife" is also a masterpiece.

Dude that's happened to me before too. In late 2007 they announced dates for the "Long and Short of It" tour, where they were going to play two nights in every city, one where they play the longer "epic" songs and one where they play shorter songs. In Portland, they added a third night that was going to be all-request. I had tickets to all three nights, and they cancelled the entire tour due to illness. Last night was my fourth Decemberists show but it should have been my seventh.

Wow dude!

I didn't know that! Now that's heartbreaking!!

You know I missed two RUSH shows because of stupid shit. I should have 47 shows under my belt.

I had tickets to see RUSH on the POWER WINDOWS tour at the Expo up in Sacramento. It was the same night as my damn senior ball and my dad made me eat my ticket! I was all set to go with my older Safeway friends who had a pony keg of beer and steaks.

I had to go to that ball totally bored off of my ass with this chick I didn't even like. She smoked too much weed and passed out on the floor.

The second Rush show I missed was on the "Vapor Trails" tour. I picked up the damn chicken pox and missed an L.A. show. I was 35 with chicken pox and I wanted to die.

Anyway that would suck when one of your favorite bands cancels on the fans.

Did you know that RUSH blew off the Bay Area twice because they got in several fights with Bill Graham?

Rush skipped the Bay Area on the SIGNALS tour and the HOLD YOUR FIRE tour.

LAME!

Well, back to Decemberists I caught them on the Colbert Report a few weeks ago. Did you see that Puppet?

AWESOME!!!

Cheers!

someone recommended the Decemberists to me some 6 years ago. Then I forgot about them, but remember really liking the name. Which later I thought was the octoberists ( which sounds way better IMO ) so for years I looked for this underground band called " the octoberists " that didnt exsist. - anyways finally i figured it out, and actually found the proper band. - I didn't like what I heard.

I just saw them twice in 10 days for the Toronto and Buffalo shows. It was my first time seeing them and WOW! They were unbelievable. Second best shows of the year (the only show beating it was Wilco). The Hazards of Love flowed so well and it was pretty much like watching a theatrical show. Becky Stark and Shara Worden complemented the band perfectly with thier beautiful singing. The second sets were just as good, transitioning from an intense first set into a fun, upbeat second set. Colin was really having a fun time with the crowd at the Toronto show, and I loved watching Jenny play; not only is she a great keyboard player, but it seemed like she was really into the show. They played a couple of new tunes at the Toronto show which sounded great. Highlights from both shows in addition to the full album included The Crane Wife 3, Yankee Bayonet, The Sporting Life, Shankill Butchers and the sing-a-long Sons and Daughters in the encore. Just a wonderful band to see live.

QUOTE (pt2112 @ Aug 16 2009, 09:20 PM)
Second best shows of the year (the only show beating it was Wilco).

Wilco's current show is amazing. One of the best touring bands out there today. I have yet to see The Decemberists live but I thought I'd chime in with that.

QUOTE (theworkingman @ Aug 17 2009, 12:23 AM)

Wilco's current show is amazing. One of the best touring bands out there today. I have yet to see The Decemberists live but I thought I'd chime in with that.

Oh, I know. I can almost compare that Wilco show I was at to both times I've seen Radiohead, though Radiohead was still better. But it was almost like seeing the alternative-country version of Radiohead. It blew my mind. Thankfully, I'm seeing Wilco again at Massey Hall in Toronto in October.

QUOTE (pt2112 @ Aug 16 2009, 09:28 PM)

Oh, I know. I can almost compare that Wilco show I was at to both times I've seen Radiohead, though Radiohead was still better. But it was almost like seeing the alternative-country version of Radiohead. It blew my mind. Thankfully, I'm seeing Wilco again at Massey Hall in Toronto in October.

I have yet to see Radiohead but I almost understand where you're coming from with that statement. They were just ON the night I saw them. The new songs were fantastic and SIX songs from Yankee Hotel! Feist came out when You and I was performed for the first time ever live. Just a great show all around. Have a great time at that TO show!

This was the set list for the second of three nights:

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p57/ciszowski_matt/l_9e2263c1beb54662aa955dc809e800f4.jpg

Edited by theworkingman

QUOTE (theworkingman @ Aug 17 2009, 02:11 AM)

I have yet to see Radiohead but I almost understand where you're coming from with that statement. They were just ON the night I saw them. The new songs were fantastic and SIX songs from Yankee Hotel! Feist came out when You and I was performed for the first time ever live. Just a great show all around. Have a great time at that TO show!

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p57/ciszowski_matt/l_9e2263c1beb54662aa955dc809e800f4.jpg

You were so lucky to see Feist perform that song. I would have loved to see that. Anyway, killer set too.

QUOTE (pt2112 @ Aug 17 2009, 10:47 AM)
QUOTE (theworkingman @ Aug 17 2009, 02:11 AM)

You were so lucky to see Feist perform that song. I would have loved to see that. Anyway, killer set too.

Yeah, it really was a great show. I'd go see them again in an instant if they came back.

The new album is splendid.

Listening to "Hazards" tonight. Incredible record. Damn, I actually thought about when I saw The Decembrists for the first time and I took Wendy.

We had a blast.

I cried tonight.

Didn't expect to find this thread.

I will be single and free for many years.

I have barely cried over this debacle divorce.

Thank Goodness I have music as my sanctuary and peace of mind.

You can't count on humanity for comfort.

Holy necro-bump, Earl. Taking time off from waxing the dolphin to wax nostalgic, eh? :LOL:

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! GOOSE! EPIC! How did you know??? WAX ON WAX OFF!!

Shame on my for playing "The Crane Wife" last night. It's true. I used to love this band. Now I think they are crap!

• Like 1

Waxing the dolphin.

Waxing the porpoise.

Waxing the Great White.

Waxing the marlin.

Waxing the swordfish

Waxing the octopussy.

Waxing the flounder.

Waxing the striper

Waxing the sturgeon.

Waxing the surfboard.

I've got a lot of wax on my hands Allen!

• Like 1