Journal for Plague Lovers - Manic Street Preachers

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ May 22 2009, 06:56 AM)
Every album since The Holy Bible has disappointed me, so I'm not so sure about investing in it.

Me too. I have lost the faith to spend out but cant wait to sample. I somehow doubt its near the class of THB though, Ritchie was a huge contribution after all.

QUOTE (Steevo @ May 21 2009, 09:27 PM)
Every album since The Holy Bible has disappointed me, so I'm not so sure about investing in it.

Me too. I have lost the faith to spend out but cant wait to sample. I somehow doubt its near the class of THB though, Ritchie was a huge contribution after all.

He's made a huge contribution to this record aswell.

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ May 22 2009, 12:11 PM)

It's his lyrics? I read that somewhere.

They seemed to lose their anger when he disappeared, and became preachy. Never a good thing.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ May 22 2009, 01:36 PM)

They seemed to lose their anger when he disappeared, and became preachy. Never a good thing.

Oh yeah. He left a notebook full for them, and they believe that only now was the time write to release them. I haven't really picked up on the lyrics too much yet but the music is certainly a return to form, for me anyway.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ May 22 2009, 02:51 PM)
I'll buy it when it's a fiver in a few months. That's my habit with Manics albums since Everything Must Go.

Or you could buy it now, listen to it and be amazed at the content and thank me profusely for my wonderful musical insight helping you gain a higher state of musical enlightenment.

Back to the pub.

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ May 22 2009, 04:29 PM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ May 22 2009, 02:51 PM)
I'll buy it when it's a fiver in a few months. That's my habit with Manics albums since Everything Must Go.

Or you could buy it now, listen to it and be amazed at the content and thank me profusely for my wonderful musical insight helping you gain a higher state of musical enlightenment.

Back to the pub.

I could.

But I won't.

This is feeble ruse for me to buy defective Welsh produce.

I hope your hangover isn't too severe........ trink38.gif wacko.gif

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ May 23 2009, 02:45 AM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ May 22 2009, 01:36 PM)

Oh yeah. He left a notebook full for them, and they believe that only now was the time write to release them. I haven't really picked up on the lyrics too much yet but the music is certainly a return to form, for me anyway.

Shit, ok then. I'd practically given up on them and this happens!! Things are looking up cool.gif

So I'm about halfway through this album and it's completely failing to disappoint me. Failing magnificently.

So I just finished the album and I loved it. It'll probably end up somewhere in my top albums of the year. It just may be their best since Holy Bible. Stand-out songs on my first listen are the title track, Facing Page: Top Left (Very nice acoustic piece), and Jackie Collins Existential Question Time. I'll definately give this one several more listens though. Awesome album!

Edited by theworkingman

I'm shocked that this hasn't come up in a thread about this album on a freaking Rush forum, but would anybody disagree with the assessment that the title track for this album would sound right at home (musically, not vocally obviously) on Moving Pictures? Heavy Rush influence on some songs, but that one especially.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jun 14 2009, 12:18 AM)
I'm shocked that this hasn't come up in a thread about this album on a freaking Rush forum, but would anybody disagree with the assessment that the title track for this album would sound right at home (musically, not vocally obviously) on Moving Pictures? Heavy Rush influence on some songs, but that one especially.

You might be right. Would sound good after TCE. Anyway, the Manics are huge Rush fans, so it doesn't surprise me there's an influence on there. Not hearing it on many other tracks though.

QUOTE (theworkingman @ Jun 27 2009, 07:28 AM)
I'm listening to it again and I'm definately hearing some Rush influence at the beginning of "Jackie Collins." Very similar to Red Barchetta.

Ahhh, the topic rises again. I sent you a PM on it as I didnt have the time to find it. Anyway, it doesnt matter, I just wondered after a few more listens how this album is comparable to THB. It sounds like the majority of people are going for it. I saw it fairly cheap the other day so I was tempted to nab. Probably will soon.

QUOTE (Steevo @ Jun 26 2009, 12:34 PM)
I'm listening to it again and I'm definately hearing some Rush influence at the beginning of "Jackie Collins." Very similar to Red Barchetta.

Ahhh, the topic rises again. I sent you a PM on it as I didnt have the time to find it. Anyway, it doesnt matter, I just wondered after a few more listens how this album is comparable to THB. It sounds like the majority of people are going for it. I saw it fairly cheap the other day so I was tempted to nab. Probably will soon.

Sorry, just saw your PM right now. I'll answer it.

QUOTE (theworkingman @ Jun 27 2009, 10:05 AM)
QUOTE (Steevo @ Jun 26 2009, 12:34 PM)

Sorry, just saw your PM right now. I'll answer it.

No hurry WM tongue.gif

So anyways, I gave it a couple of listens and while not bowled over, it's still half an album worth of solid Manics fare. Probably need to give it a few more listens but anyway, buy it now all you doubters, well worth it!! There is a deluxe extra disc demos version floating around as well.

Wheres Rocinante Kid these days? He would weigh in with an opinion on this for sure sad.gif

Edited by Steevo

Guess who just met James Dean Bradfield?

He was in my town in one of my locals, on holiday I presume. We had a 5 minute convo about Rush. Good f***ing times! My mates tried to get me out earlier because they were sitting on the table next to him and Nicky but they didn't tell me that bit for a suprise and I had a shower instead! JDB and Sean were in another pub in Tenby yesterday when we got told about it. I must say, my 30th Anniversary tour shirt did me proud biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Aug 2 2009, 01:37 AM)

He was in my town in one of my locals, on holiday I presume. We had a 5 minute convo about Rush. Good f***ing times! My mates tried to get me out earlier because they were sitting on the table next to him and Nicky but they didn't tell me that bit for a suprise and I had a shower instead! JDB and Sean were in another pub in Tenby yesterday when we got told about it. I must say, my 30th Anniversary tour shirt did me proud biggrin.gif

Wow!

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Aug 2 2009, 01:37 PM)

Thats awesome MH. He came down here for promo during the This is My Truth period and I kind of knew the guy that got to interview him. He was the only one I knew that got into the Manics from GT onwards. Played them all the time on student radio through the early 90s while hardly anyone here had even heard of them - great days!! trink38.gif

So I take it no one here has this bonus disc with Journal then??confused13.gif The packaging alone would make it worth the extra $$ yes.gif drool1.gif

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetail...1;-1&sku=956158 Oh yes, I will be getting this soon!!

Well done Working Man, you will have to tell us all about it. Unless they play a shitty Big Day Out festival for Jan '10, I doubt there will be much hope of a live show here for a while.

Edited by Steevo