***** VITALS SIGNS SYNTH PATCH*****

BassLik

I was able to mimick it on my Roland Juno-Stage.

1. Set the patch to "Weather Lead"

2. Go into "Arpeggiator" mode and press "EDIT"

3. Press "SETUP" and set the steps to 16

4. With "STEP RECORD" on, press the keys to make the Vital Signs 'riff'.

5. Exit out of edit mode and set "Grid" to 1/16 notes.

6. Set "Duration" to 40% (depends how you like it to sound)

7. Set "Motif" to "Phrase" so you only have to hit one key to get it going.

8. Click the "Hold" button so that you dont have to hold the key down (this is cool if you want to play bass over it).

9. Exit out of Arpeggiator mode and hit the C key.

10. Change the tempo to what Rush plays it at (I think around 140bpm)

10. To make it sound even better, adjust the attack to about 8 and release to around -5.

And that should give ya Vital Signs! Enjoy smile.gif

Here's a recording of the Juno-Stage:

Roland Juno-Stage: Vital Signs

QUOTE (BassLik @ May 10 2009, 05:04 PM)
Tarkus406

your bada** mofo, heck that sounds identical to the song, wow i wonder if that was the keys they used/lol
what instrument you play?

Thanks buddy smile.gif

I'm pretty sure Geddy got that sound using an arpeggiator on his synth. It could have also been a sequencer but I'm not sure confused13.gif

Oh, and I play bass, guitar, and synth.

I'm surprised their is no site that dedicates itself to patches alone for known tunes, heck there is sites for everything nowadays, unless i haven't found it yet. If you ever need any moog taurus samples for rush, i have them, since i still have my Moog pedals laying around.

QUOTE (BassLik @ May 10 2009, 05:45 PM)
I'm surprised their is no site that dedicates itself to patches alone for known tunes, heck there is sites for everything nowadays, unless i haven't found it yet. If you ever need any moog taurus samples for rush, i have them, since i still have my Moog pedals laying around.

There usually are, but every synth is different and so the patches will be different. My Korg M3 has a few different forums that you can get patches for. The vital signs patch is a relatively simple sound that can be reproduced by a lot of different synths. I was going through my sounds the other day and found an identical match to Losing It. By changing the resonance and decay, it sounds a lot like Vital Signs. Geddy is using an arpeggiator, as Tarkus mentioned.

thanks for all your help guys, hey has anyone here done any collaboration on doing a rush tune?, i run pro tools and play bass/moog pedals, would like to do a song with some guys or gas and maybe put it up on someones site so people can take a gander?

QUOTE (Cowtothesky @ May 10 2009, 07:01 PM)

There usually are, but every synth is different and so the patches will be different. My Korg M3 has a few different forums that you can get patches for. The vital signs patch is a relatively simple sound that can be reproduced by a lot of different synths. I was going through my sounds the other day and found an identical match to Losing It. By changing the resonance and decay, it sounds a lot like Vital Signs. Geddy is using an arpeggiator, as Tarkus mentioned.

Yeah I'd love to get some new patches for my Roland. The Juno-Stage is still quite new so I don't expect there to be a patch site for a long while. But when there is, I sure hope someone figures out the Tom Sawyer sweep. yes.gif

QUOTE (BassLik @ May 10 2009, 05:19 PM)
thanks for all your help guys, hey has anyone here done any collaboration on doing a rush tune?, i run pro tools and play bass/moog pedals, would like to do a song with some guys or gas and maybe put it up on someones site so people can take a gander?

Yep. We've been working on this for a while but still need drum parts.

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=43337

Oh and nice patch Tarkus. smile.gif

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ May 10 2009, 04:25 PM)
Here's a recording of the Juno-Stage:
Roland Juno-Stage: Vital Signs

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif applaudit.gif yes.gif

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ May 10 2009, 08:25 PM)

Yeah I'd love to get some new patches for my Roland. The Juno-Stage is still quite new so I don't expect there to be a patch site for a long while. But when there is, I sure hope someone figures out the Tom Sawyer sweep. yes.gif

I'm sure you have already seen this, but here are the forums for the Juno Stage. You could probably just post a request for the patch on the Roland forums and see if anyone has it:

http://forums.rolandclan.info/?action=show_all&fid=20

QUOTE (Cowtothesky @ May 11 2009, 05:48 PM)
QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ May 10 2009, 08:25 PM)

I'm sure you have already seen this, but here are the forums for the Juno Stage. You could probably just post a request for the patch on the Roland forums and see if anyone has it:

http://forums.rolandclan.info/?action=show_all&fid=20

yes that is a great site. any drummers here up to laying down la villa?

I programmed it once on a Roland D-20 (basically a D-10 with built-in sequencer). The sound itself was not too difficult, just some sort of bass/brass pad patch with lots of resonance, but the sequence was a bit tricky. The output amplitude (the volume) is modulated, kind of like you were playing the 8-note sequence but quickly turning the amp on and off twice on every note.

To record this on the sequencer, I set it to record volume changes in the sequence information, slowed the 8-note sequence to a crawl and basically twiddled the volume knob full up/down twice on every note (16 times in all in one sequence). When I brought it back to speed, it sounded really close to the album.

You can also use a LFO (low-frequency oscillator) to modulate the output amplitude. I tried this on the D-50/550, but it is difficult to sync up the modulation with the note sequence and it goes out of whack pretty quick. It is better to have both the nore and volume information on the same sequence, this way it will play on any synth. When I moved away from the D-20 setup, I recorded the sequence on a separate sequencer and played it on another module with no problem.

QUOTE (BassLik @ May 10 2009, 08:19 PM)

hell, I'll get in on this for the camera eye if you'd like. Hell, any song would be fine to do, but I dont know a lot of the solos, I just wing 'em tongue.gif Anything from Hemispheres until GUP I can do with no problem. Anytime before or after is a real mystery to me