I like The Who

barney_rebel

When I first got into rock I was very much into The Who. Rush came after and took the #1 spot on my favourite rock band, but I still love them.

I was very lucky to catch them back in 2002, but the man I really wanted to see died just before the tour (John Entwistle).

Just listening to "30 Years of Maximum R&B' 4CD set. Man they rocked!

QUOTE (D-13 @ Mar 6 2005, 04:33 PM)
Keith Moon is my hero!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v359/snowraider_13/Random%20pics/R.jpg

You should check out the Kids are Alright DVD - it's a documentary beginning to the end and you can see how bad Moon got near the end of the DVD. The guy was a nut.

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Mar 6 2005, 04:45 PM)
The Who Rock!!

BTW, IMHO the only real version of The Who is with Keith Moon.

They were one bad@ss rock band!

Actaully 'Face Dances' (first album without Moon) is one of my all time personal favourites. I know it didn't do well in the charts but I really like it a lot.

That song "905" is soooo Rush (off Who Are You). I love it! Written by Entwistle too.

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Mar 6 2005, 04:48 PM)
QUOTE (Snowdog @ Mar 6 2005, 04:45 PM)
The Who Rock!!

BTW, IMHO the only real version of The Who is with Keith Moon.

They were one bad@ss rock band!

Actaully 'Face Dances' (first album without Moon) is one of my all time personal favourites. I know it didn't do well in the charts but I really like it a lot.

That song "905" is soooo Rush (off Who Are You). I love it! Written by Entwistle too.

Barn, there was something upsetting to me looking at Kenney Jones behind the kit for the Who. Never could really accept it. Face Dances does contain some good tunes. Another Tricky Day, You Better You Bet, Don't Let Go the Coat. All good songs. But to me it's like Rush without Neil, yeah, there are some decent tunes, but it's not the RUSH that I fell in love with.

Just my 2 cents. wink.gif

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Mar 6 2005, 05:00 PM)
I also think The Who is greater with Moonie but I must admit I like their last studio album before they broke up in '82 called "It's Hard"...I love "Athena" and Emminence Front" from that album. yes.gif

They played Emminence Front in the 2002 reunion show... it rocked.

That album isn't bad at all. That video game "Space Duel" kicks too! I used to love that game as a kid.

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Mar 6 2005, 05:01 PM)
Barn, there was something upsetting to me looking at Kenney Jones behind the kit for the Who. Never could really accept it. Face Dances does contain some good tunes. Another Tricky Day, You Better You Bet, Don't Let Go the Coat. All good songs. But to me it's like Rush without Neil, yeah, there are some decent tunes, but it's not the RUSH that I fell in love with.

Just my 2 cents. wink.gif

Totally can understand that - people the say the same thing with Van Halen without Roth as their frontman.

I gotta say I was so pissed when Entwistly died just before their tour. I was seriously not gonna go.

But, when I got there, this guy they had did an amazing job.

It's like this - Moon is a great entertainer on stage. I'm not sure how great of a drummer he is, but I bet he is pretty good. By the time The Who got to when Moon died, they weren't smashing instruments and wrecking things like they used to, so the music is all they had left. Not to discount Moon as a drummer or entertainer, but as long as the music still sounded good I really like them - much like I did for Van Halen.

Moon was a perfect fit for The Who, musicianship aside, it was who he was just as much as his drumming that made up The Who. Maybe that's totally wrong to associate a personality with the band's music. But that's just the way it is for me. Kenney is without question a very accomplished drummer. But he seemed the odd man out. Sort of like the proper English gentleman amidst a group of rogues laugh.gif The rogues rocked cool.gif

bsg.gif Rock history without Pete, Rog, John, and Keith would be unthinkable. The "'orrible 'oo" are without a doubt among the all-time greats of rock.

To those who may not be aware, or need a crash course in their greatness, I present for your perusal:

Exhibit A: From "The Kids are Alright" DVD. Be SURE and get the "Special Edition" NOT the "Deluxe Edition". Put in disc 2 and see the isolated tracks of John Entwistle playing "Baba O Riley" and "Won't Get Fooled Again". You will see why so many bassists worship at the altar of The Ox.

Exhibit B: Also from "The Kids Are Alright". "Sparks" from Tommy, played at Woodstock. You will swear that the film of Moonie has been sped up. The man was a maniacal presence. He didn't just sound like the greatest rock drummer of all time, he sounded like the only rock drummer! For all the greatness of Mr. Peart, Moonie was the man who inspired Neil, and gave him a target to shoot for.

Exhibit C: The rest of "The Kids Are Alright". Just see it! If you don't like this movie, you may not like Rock at all.

And a little personal confession here. Pete Townshend is THE rock philosopher, the Godfather of rock, the articulate spokesman for something so hard to articulate. Lived the life of a rock star, had an outlet for his agressions, (granted, a very expensive outlet). A tortured artist, sure. But WHAT art! I always sorta wanted to be Pete, say circa 1972. (And he is so DAMN skinny, too.)

Oh, and check out "Quadrophenia" the movie. If you can get through the British accents, it's a great flick, with great music, and a young Sting as the Ace Face (aka Bellboy).

...........Here endeth the lesson.

John Entwistle, the only bassist I can think of that rivals Geddy in my eyes. Pete Townshend is easily the greatest chord playing guitarist to ever live. Roger Daltry had one of those voices that was the epitomy of rock music (only Freddy Mercury is better tongue.gif) and Keith Moon is just a total nut job, sheer brilliance. I have that box set you speak of too Barney, there is a lot of incredible material on it. It is just a shame though that I was born as young as I was, I have never seen either Moon or the Ox live (and damn him for OD'ing right before the 2002 tour, I was planning on attending that provided he was there). I did manage to see them in 2004 last year for one of only 3 US dates (one of which was Hawaii) and they did sound great, but you could tell they are getting old.

I agree in a sense though that after Moon's death happened, replacing him seemed could seem a little awkward. Maybe its just me being young and not being around for Moon, but to me that was probably the best thing they could have done. After Moon's rather selfish demise, The Who were still pretty much on top of thier game, and all the members still had the drive to continue writing. The route they went on was probably the best one they could have done in thier situation. It's just a shame they didnt continue the pace though, as Face Dances and It's Hard are both very strong albums in my eyes.

BTW Barney, I immediatly recognized those tabs in your signature, one of my favorites to play as well wink.gif

The Who are probably my second favourite band after Rush. Quadrophenia...Who's Next...Tommy...Sell Out...so many great albums. Get their DVD "Live at the Isle of Wight 1970"-it has all the hits like My Generation and I Can't Explain, and a full Tommy. Its awesome.

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Mar 6 2005, 08:33 PM)
John Entwistle, the only bassist I can think of that rivals Geddy in my eyes.

Chris Squire isn't too shabby.

Speaking of the Who, when I was 12, in 1979, my brother asked me which concert I wanted to go to for my upcoming birthday. The Who was coming, and so was Styx. I wasn't into the Who at that time and Styx was pretty popular so I picked Styx instead. It was at Riverfront coliseum. The next week when the who came, it was the show when 11 people were crushed to death. My mother was freaking knowing that I could have went to that show. I think I made the right choice though, I got to see the Who 15 or so years later and after Mr. Roboto I really wouldn't have wanted to see Styx anyway.

The Who rocks!!!

I've seen The Who twice, once at the Pontiac Silver when i was 14 and their supposed last show at MLG. They are one of the top acts of all time and great live. I must admit with all the comebacks and a few final shows since that incredible night at MLG its taken the luster off a brilliant career. I was in shock when Entwistle died and they played the next night no.gif

Quadrophenia a must in any Who collection, their masterpiece.

Kids are all right

Who's next

trink39.gif

Archived