Any sax players?

Syaoran_2001

I see tons of threads on here about guitar players and their setups, but are there any out there who are fellow saxophone players? If so, tell us about your gear, playing experience, interesting sax stories, etc.

I've been playing sax for about 12 years, and just recently got back into after about a 5 year hiatus. I'm focusing on tenor sax right now since my alto is currently in the shop, unplayable. As far as my gear, for tenor I have an early 1950's Buescher Windsor (second line instrument, similar to the Aristocrat) and for alto I have a Bundy II which is the sax I learned on, and a King Zephyr which is the one currently in for repairs. So let's hear from the other saxists out there.

I'm sure he's immensely better than I am. It takes lots of practice to get a consistent tone and build your embouchure up. I played mostly alto in school but switched to tenor in high school after failing my alto audition for the advanced band class. They needed a tenor player for the advanced band so my teacher asked me to play tenor for them since he knew I was a good player, even though my audition was bad. Otherwise I would have been stuck in last chair alto, behind this guy I really couldn't stand whom I knew didn't really care that much about band anyway.

You said your dad has a Selmer, any chance you know what model it is? I'm assuming it's a Mark VI, which is (in my opinion, and countless other sax player's opinions) the best saxophone ever made. Almost all professional players use the Mark VI. Watch any rock and roll sax player and he's most likely playing a VI. They're a really versatile instrument in that they can handle any type of playing from classical to rock to jazz, whereas other pro model saxes such as the Conn 10m are more suited to one particular style. They also have the most ergonomic keywork, so much so that most modern saxes have almost identical key layouts.

I played alto (as well as baritone) from sixth grade through eighth grade (which was last year). I also took piano as a class last year, which sparked my interest in the piano, keyboards, etc. and took my interest away from the sax. I enjoyed playing it, but I didn't "feel" the instrument, which is part of why I lost interest. I wish I had had a better teacher in 7th grade - we didn't learn that much - because I could have used the extra practice when I transferred to a new school last year, where the band program was top-notch.

I played saxophone for 6 years in high school and in middle school for the marching band. I was never very prominent in playing, but I have a friend who is going to college to become a professional saxophonist. He's got an original 1935 Conn saxophone in silver (not sure on the actual material, but it is silver) with new pads, new cork on the neck and some kind of frequensator mouthpiece. Its a genuine beauty, Ill give it that

Hey has anyone figured out the music for any Rush songs for woodwinds? I'm working on Closer to the Heart on Bb Clarinet right now I wanna see if Im on the right track.

Thanks!

More seriously though. I've played sax since sixth grade and have always been pretty good at it. Got a huge head start on my middle school band peers cuz I had an amazing private teacher and I loved the instrument (started playing right when I got into music too). In high school I realized I wasn't the greatest or anything, but I was still good enough to get into variou honor bands and get through some pretty challenging music and enjoy it. Now I play saxophone in the greatest college marching band ever to exist and in a few other bands at school. Hoping to make jazz band next year as this is the first year since sixth grade I haven't been in jazz band. Also hope to get private lessons or just schedule my own practice time next year cuz this is my first year without getting much better than the last and I don't like the idea of plateauing.

Saxophone is the greatest. Oh and I play mainly alto.