Rant: I HATE MY f***ing SKIN!

Mara

You want to seriously look into this product. Trust me it works. It's called Acnovin - they have capsules and a very unique cream. You don't need to use both, 1 capsule 3x's a day and the cream at night before bed every other day. Or, you might not use the cream. Acnovin is a product from India. I stumbled onto it after doing tons of different searches for natural cures. Believe me, I am so lucky i found it. Well, I decided I was going to order it and I couldn't find any company in the United States who was selling it. I'm pretty sure you will have to order it from India - takes about 2-3 weeks to get here. It is very cheap.But don't let that make you think it's bogus or won't work. Do a few searches about people who have used it. The Indian company that makes it is called www.vasuhealthcare.com/pdf/vasuproductinformationguide.pdf -this specific address will take you to their product ingredients listing. I have used this for 5 months now and if you have the genetic tendency toward hyperactive oil glands this product works incredibly. It takes about 1-2 weeks to see your skin change and every few days after you see the first cahnges it picks up speed in effectiveness. But, you do have to do your part and NOT DRINK COFFEE EVER - regular or decaf. The caffeine does play a role, but only if you have like more than 200 - 300mg a day. Dr. Perricone has mentioned that there are other chemicals in coffee that are responsible for the - here we go : 1st stage is cortisol release 2nd stage is inflamation 3rd stage is a strong cytokine release. The cytokines actually help thicken the oil that causes the pimple. Your skin's immune system is trying to protect you from bacteria getting in. You could look into other sources of caffeine and there are plenty that don't have the side effects of coffee. I drank coffee for a looooooooooooong time before I found this out. Acnovin must really help prevent the bacteria from colonizing your skin from the inside and outside. It is aso just as important to NEVER EVER buy or use any product from a regular BIG retailer(KMART,WALMART,COSCO,WALGREENS-don't use them. They almost all use products like sodium lauryl sulfide, parabens, etcccc. lots of totally unneccesary ingredients. My local natural foods store had a few difffernt types to choose from and the one I like is called ZIA- www.zianatural.com- check there website-awesome ingredient profiles. A good website called www.cosmeticsdatabase.com is a site that you should study a little - you can enter any products you've used and see if they might be part of the problem. Sodium lauryl sulfide and other s like it can damage your skin's immune system - and guess what people like you and me who are genetically predisposed to oily skin have stress response to produce more oil. Zia or other good natural brands won't strip your skin. And you shouldn't eat many fried with oil foods-not good for your skin. And any dermatologists who say food doesn't matter - either don't care if they do because they won't make as much money or are ignorant. I tried accutane 2 different times when I was younger and it worked for like 6 months and than went back to like it was before. Dermatolists just prescribe antibiotics to the point where the bacteria have started turning into superbacteria and teenagers are now starting to have more acne problems than in years past due to sloppy,egotistical,dishonest dermatolists. The website in India I order from is www.ayurvedaforall.com. Didn't intend for this to be a long post I just had to get a few things off my chest. Look at all the ingredients in all your personal care products and go to www.cosmeticsdatabase.com and you might be very surprised at what your putting on your scalp,face,body. This is not a paranoia natural earth freak/hippy guy post. Most REAL NATURAL products aren't easy to find. A lot of ingredients in well known brands are highly toxic preservatives that give product a long shelf life so bacteria won't grow in product.But there are very good alternatives.Don't stop at just your face - toothpaste,shampoo,body soaps, hand soaps, lotions,shaving gels creams, underarm deodarant. Your skin is the largest organ you have - if sweat and oil can come out other stuff can come in. Ok I'm done blabbing - good luck

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^^I didn't hit "reply", because it's such a long post.

I will die rather than give up coffee. Seriously, I'd rather just get a skin transplant. I drink over a gallon/day. No kidding. No exaggeration.

I have a derm appointment six weeks from now. I thought I'd have to wait longer. In the meantime, I've given up on all the heavy astringent use. Possibly some improvement over the last couple of days.

If you look at my original post, I don't really have acne problems. Just oily. A few others have posted differently.

Welcome to the new poster with the longest username ever.

Edited by Mara

Update. I saw the dermatologist today. I have a prescription for Retin-A, some kind of a masque (the put-it-on-and-wash-it-off kind, you jokers), and a wash.

I also am going on low-dose Accutane. You would not believe the hoops a woman has to jump through to get this stuff. I have to have blood tests and sign all this stuff saying I won't get pregnant (my tubes are tied!), and all of this information has to go into an FDA-run database. The stuff causes nasty birth defects and has come close to getting banned a few times. It will be a month before I can get the first prescription filled. The Retin-A is just something to use until I can start the Accutane.

Here's to nice, dry, smooth skin with no oil slicks! trink39.gif

And I did ask about coffee, etc. No proven link on diet and oily skin/acne, although obviously if someone has a ridiculously unbalanced diet and doesn't get enough of certain vitamins/minerals, the skin will show the effects.

Holy hell!!! I just picked up my prescription masque stuff, and it was $105 for this little box! My co-pay was $65!

So I went through the box, looking for the cocaine or gold dust or whatever expensive, rare substance I just knew had to be hidden within. . .but no. Just sulphur (ugh), and some other stuff.

This stuff better work!

QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 24 2009, 09:40 AM)
Specifically, I hate its f*ckin' oil glands, which go into overdrive around this time every year and don't quiet down until the weather cools in late October/November. Because of the seasonality of it, I have started calling it "summer skin", and it's one item on the long list of reasons I hate summer.

I have tried everything. I do not use moisturizer ever (I LAUGH at moisturizer) because then I sure as hell would be breaking out. Very hot or very cold water, tepid water, harsh soap, straight-up isopropyl alcohol. I celebrate those first cold days in late fall when I reach up and feel the absence of oil: "All RIGHT! Dry skin! Yay!" Dry and tight and flaky is cause for celebration for me!

Am I whining over nothing? Anyone else have this problem? Ideas? I suppose I could move to the Arctic circle, but that seems extreme. . .

you should drink alot more water and do things that moisturise your skin (face masks etc not nesicarily moiturizer) because when skin is to dry it becomes oily (I know wheres the logic right?)

My mom always says that tea tree oil is the best thing you can give your skin.

QUOTE (chantelle @ Jun 14 2009, 07:54 AM)
Specifically, I hate its f*ckin' oil glands, which go into overdrive around this time every year and don't quiet down until the weather cools in late October/November.  Because of the seasonality of it, I have started calling it "summer skin", and it's one item on the long list of reasons I hate summer.

I have tried everything.  I do not use moisturizer ever (I LAUGH at moisturizer) because then I sure as hell would be breaking out.  Very hot or very cold water, tepid water, harsh soap, straight-up isopropyl alcohol.  I celebrate those first cold days in late fall when I reach up and feel the absence of oil:  "All RIGHT!  Dry skin!  Yay!"  Dry and tight and flaky is cause for celebration for me!

Am I whining over nothing? Anyone else have this problem?  Ideas?  I suppose I could move to the Arctic circle, but that seems extreme. . .

you should drink alot more water and do things that moisturise your skin (face masks etc not nesicarily moiturizer) because when skin is to dry it becomes oily (I know wheres the logic right?)

Thanks, but I'll be going on Accutane, looks like. After I complete all of the pregnancy testing and registration processes required by law, of course, which takes about a month. Dries things up permanently.

QUOTE (Mara @ Jun 14 2009, 09:04 AM)
Specifically, I hate its f*ckin' oil glands, which go into overdrive around this time every year and don't quiet down until the weather cools in late October/November.  Because of the seasonality of it, I have started calling it "summer skin", and it's one item on the long list of reasons I hate summer.

I have tried everything.  I do not use moisturizer ever (I LAUGH at moisturizer) because then I sure as hell would be breaking out.  Very hot or very cold water, tepid water, harsh soap, straight-up isopropyl alcohol.  I celebrate those first cold days in late fall when I reach up and feel the absence of oil:  "All RIGHT!  Dry skin!  Yay!"  Dry and tight and flaky is cause for celebration for me!

Am I whining over nothing? Anyone else have this problem?  Ideas?  I suppose I could move to the Arctic circle, but that seems extreme. . .

Thanks, but I'll be going on Accutane, looks like. After I complete all of the pregnancy testing and registration processes required by law, of course, which takes about a month. Dries things up permanently.

Be careful with Accutane. I had a friend go on that and it made her skin SOOOOO sensitive. You cant be in direct sunlight for long periods of time and you can't wax. She did a waxing and it ripped off a few layers of her skin with it.

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Jun 14 2009, 01:27 PM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Jun 14 2009, 09:04 AM)

Be careful with Accutane. I had a friend go on that and it made her skin SOOOOO sensitive. You cant be in direct sunlight for long periods of time and you can't wax. She did a waxing and it ripped off a few layers of her skin with it.

Oh I know. Sunscreen like mad. Fortunately I don't spend a whole lot of time in the sun anyway.

When I was 14 or so, I was using Retin A. Ignored the warning, and spent a whole day at the pool slathered in baby oil. I have no idea how I avoided the emergency room - my entire body was one big 2nd degree burn. Blisters even on my legs.

QUOTE (chantelle @ Jun 14 2009, 06:54 AM)
because when skin is to dry it becomes oily (I know wheres the logic right?)

Yeah, your body produces all the "oil" to moisturize your skin. The makeup power might be leaving your surface too dry and so your skin thinks "uh oh, better produce some moisture here!"

Hope your medications work though. I had my fair share of acne products in my teens (I know you're not a teenage nor an acne sufferer, just saying I've been the derms. before and yes, those topical treatments are $$$$$$$$$$$$$!)

Specifically, I hate its f*ckin' oil glands, which go into overdrive around this time every year and don't quiet down until the weather cools in late October/November. Because of the seasonality of it, I have started calling it "summer skin", and it's one item on the long list of reasons I hate summer.

I am tired of having my face look, by 11am or so, as if the Exxon Valdez ran aground on it. I am tired of constantly having to wipe/blot/apply powder over and over. It's mostly my forehead, and it's really icky if I don't do the blot/powder thing for a few hours and my bangs get stuck in it.

I don't break out much at all, thank God. It's just nasty, nasty grease. Everyone has been telling me for 20 years, "oh, you'll be glad when you are older, because you'll have really young-looking skin." Like how much older? I am 41 now, and I HATE having the skin of a hormonal 14 year old. At some point a few lines and crow's feet are normal. I'd take them any day over this mess. I can see where these people are coming from, because my 2 grandmas (one is 90 and the other 88) look about 20 years younger than they are.

I have tried everything. I do not use moisturizer ever (I LAUGH at moisturizer) because then I sure as hell would be breaking out. Very hot or very cold water, tepid water, harsh soap, straight-up isopropyl alcohol. I celebrate those first cold days in late fall when I reach up and feel the absence of oil: "All RIGHT! Dry skin! Yay!" Dry and tight and flaky is cause for celebration for me!

I am thinking about doing 2-3 months on Accutane, which I know is normally only for people with severe acne. It does shut down oil production, which would be SO worth it for me even though I don't really have any acne to speak of.

Am I whining over nothing? Anyone else have this problem? Ideas? I suppose I could move to the Arctic circle, but that seems extreme. . .

I have the same Problems, but I am 23. I hate it. Blah. and My skin is so sensitive I can't put things on it that MAY help it. But this time of the year My face is Very VERY Oily and I break out. I look like I am in high school with all the acne. eh.gif fists crying.gif

i have a weird skin disorder. when i lightly scratch myself it can give me a rash. because of this, i can temporarily scratch my name onto my back. the rash itches, but if i scratch it, it gets much worse. i went to a dermatologist when i was younger and he told me it was some kind of untreatable dermatitis. lucky for me though, it seems to be less of a problem since ive gotten through puberty. its weird...

Okay, so two weeks ago I started Accutane. Or, to be more precise, the generic version of Accutane, because Roche has announced it is tired of all of the legal hassle and will no longer manufacture Accutane.

This is a serious drug, and I had to jump a few hurdles to get it. I think it would be easier to get crack. Possibly cheaper. I had to have two negative pregnancy tests (blood tests at an independent lab) 28 days apart before I could even get the prescription. Then I had to register on an FDA website and answer a bunch of questions and basically promise to not get pregnant (heh, guys, don't worry - I want a baby like I want a hole in the head). They do not care that my tubes are tied; as long as you are female, and all of the parts are still there, they make you jump through these hoops. And - I have to get negative lab tests EVERY month to get the prescription refilled, and check in on the FDA site. I am seriously tempted to pack my husband off to the doctor and have HIM say he wants this drug, and I'll snag his prescription. Men don't have to go through all of this.

It's potent stuff, all right. But I LOOOOVE it. Been on it for two weeks and already there is way less oil. My skin does flake and peel now, and it's gotten very sensitive. I've had a couple days where, if you looked closely at me, I sort of resembled a snake shedding its skin! My lips are very dry and peel some now, especially in the mornings. Possibly the worst thing I've noticed is that my gums have suddenly gotten very tender.

These side effects are minimally annoying. I am so THRILLED to not have the oil issue now, you have no idea. Barring any unforeseen complications, I will definitely continue treatment. I understand that after 6-9 months or so, the effects should at least last several years and may be permanent.

QUOTE (Mara @ Aug 11 2009, 09:08 PM)
Okay, so two weeks ago I started Accutane. Or, to be more precise, the generic version of Accutane, because Roche has announced it is tired of all of the legal hassle and will no longer manufacture Accutane.

This is a serious drug, and I had to jump a few hurdles to get it. I think it would be easier to get crack. Possibly cheaper. I had to have two negative pregnancy tests (blood tests at an independent lab) 28 days apart before I could even get the prescription. Then I had to register on an FDA website and answer a bunch of questions and basically promise to not get pregnant (heh, guys, don't worry - I want a baby like I want a hole in the head). They do not care that my tubes are tied; as long as you are female, and all of the parts are still there, they make you jump through these hoops. And - I have to get negative lab tests EVERY month to get the prescription refilled, and check in on the FDA site. I am seriously tempted to pack my husband off to the doctor and have HIM say he wants this drug, and I'll snag his prescription. Men don't have to go through all of this.

It's potent stuff, all right. But I LOOOOVE it. Been on it for two weeks and already there is way less oil. My skin does flake and peel now, and it's gotten very sensitive. I've had a couple days where, if you looked closely at me, I sort of resembled a snake shedding its skin! My lips are very dry and peel some now, especially in the mornings. Possibly the worst thing I've noticed is that my gums have suddenly gotten very tender.

These side effects are minimally annoying. I am so THRILLED to not have the oil issue now, you have no idea. Barring any unforeseen complications, I will definitely continue treatment. I understand that after 6-9 months or so, the effects should at least last several years and may be permanent.

Um... good luck? That sounds like it would suck

QUOTE (Mara @ Aug 11 2009, 10:08 PM)

I've wondered how this was working out for you, if it was helping at all. Will the side affects subside? Sounds like if you take it for awhile it may fix the oilyness for good? That's something!

QUOTE (MCM @ Aug 22 2009, 10:34 PM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Aug 11 2009, 10:08 PM)
Okay, so two weeks ago I started Accutane.  Or, to be more precise, the generic version of Accutane, because Roche has announced it is tired of all of the legal hassle and will no longer manufacture Accutane.

This is a serious drug, and I had to jump a few hurdles to get it.  I think it would be easier to get crack.  Possibly cheaper. I had to have two negative pregnancy tests (blood tests at an independent lab) 28 days apart before I could even get the prescription.  Then I had to register on an FDA website and answer a bunch of questions and basically promise to not get pregnant (heh, guys, don't worry - I want a baby like I want a hole in the head).  They do not care that my tubes are tied; as long as you are female, and all of the parts are still there, they make you jump through these hoops.  And - I have to get negative lab tests EVERY month to get the prescription refilled, and check in on the FDA site.  I am seriously tempted to pack my husband off to the doctor and have HIM say he wants this drug, and I'll snag his prescription.  Men don't have to go through all of this. 

It's potent stuff, all right.  But I LOOOOVE it.  Been on it for two weeks and already there is way less oil.  My skin does flake and peel now, and it's gotten very sensitive. I've had a couple days where, if you looked closely at me, I sort of resembled a snake shedding its skin!  My lips are very dry and peel some now, especially in the mornings.  Possibly the worst thing I've noticed is that my gums have suddenly gotten very tender. 

These side effects are minimally annoying.  I am so THRILLED to not have the oil issue now, you have no idea.  Barring any unforeseen complications, I will definitely continue treatment.  I understand that after 6-9 months or so, the effects should at least last several years and may be permanent.

I've wondered how this was working out for you, if it was helping at all. Will the side affects subside? Sounds like if you take it for awhile it may fix the oilyness for good? That's something!

I've been pleasantly surprised at how minimal the side effects really are. The worst peeling and sensitivity I've experienced is when I've been a little overzealous about exfoliating and taken off too much skin! And the lip dryness isn't bad enough to make me purchase Chapstick (I hate the feeling of anything coating my lips).

I'm on 30mg/day; I think really bad cases get 40mg twice daily, and I can definitely see where that would cause serious dryness and flaking. I have my appointment for evaluation and prescription refill this week, and am thinking about asking for the extra 10mg.

But yes, supposedly I will stay grease-free after I finish a 6-9 month course of this.

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Apr 25 2009, 11:04 PM)
At least you dont have something called Purpura. Which is an inflamation of blood vessels because your immune system is workign too well.  I have developed this recently and let me tell you it's such a bitch!  Been so damn annoying trying to get this under control. It's like red dots on my legs and arms. Making it very hard for me to wear skirts and short sleaves.  I really hope this goes away soon. Or I might hit the tanning salon to see if I can go darker to hide it.  It's just so embarassing. I hate how people look at me and how I have to wear so much clothing to hide it.

The doctors say there's nothing I can do except wait it out. Stupid auto immune disorder!  angry.gif  Has anyone else had this happen? It's more common with younger kids... I guess I not only look like a child but I also have the physiology of one.  unsure.gif

So ya... I hate my skin too!  banghead.gif

I read your post and I have to tell you my story (I'll try to keep it brief)...

A couple years ago I started noticing those little 'red dots' on my legs ... mostly on my shins/calves ... no itching ... just dots. They would fade, then more would always come. Around this time I also started feeling very sickly, lethargic .. and one day, I experienced this deep, horrible pain in my legs and my ankle/knee joints, sometimes they would swell up really really bad. This went on for weeks ... doctors did all kinds of tests .. for Lyme disease, Lupus, Hepatitis, etc ... nothing showed up. They had me on Prednisone for awhile, and everything cleared up ... but within a week of being off it, all my sympotoms would return. I learned over the course of the years, that these dots were an immune reaction to elastic/latex/plastic (like socks, shoes etc .. ) I know it sounds crazy, but I had to avoid wearing socks and could only wear certain shoes that didn't have any vinyl on them (sneakers were OK, but dress shoes were not). I also found out the hard way that I could not wear eyeglasses (sounds crazy, I know!!) because I would have swelling in my face, even my throat and tongue would swell ...apparently from the little plastic part that rests on your nose. I never had any allergies/sensetivities before, so all this was a nitemare for me.

I've seen all kinds of doctors about this ... but it was my Rheumatologist that helped me figure out what it was (after 2 years!!). He knew this was some type of autoimmune disorder, but what was causing it?

A couple months before all these health problems started, I had started drinking ALOT of coffee. I was drinking like 2 giant Tim Horton's X-large cups a day.

I found out just in the last 2 months, that caffeine acts as a diuretic, and can severly deplete the vitiamin/mineral reserves in your body. My doctor checked my Vit. D and B levels, and the D3 level was EXTREMELY low. So I stopped drinking regualr coffee (drink decaf now) and started taking a real good Multivitamin, plus an extra D supplement. Its been about 2.5 months, and I AM ALMOST COMPLETELY RECOVERED!!

It seems crazy to me that all these problems were caused by a vitamin deficiency, but in fact, that it what it was. So, please, anyone reading this ... INSIST THAT YOUR DOCTORS CHECK YOUR VITAMIN B, D and FOLATE LEVELS!!! These are not part of your regular Complete Blood Count (CBC) test ..it is a different kind of test for the vitamin levels.

I went through 2 years of hell because of this, so if I can save even one person from going through what I did, it would be worth it.

Wishing you the best of health ...

yyzena rose.gif

QUOTE (yyzena @ Dec 12 2009, 03:43 PM)
QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Apr 25 2009, 11:04 PM)
At least you dont have something called Purpura. Which is an inflamation of blood vessels because your immune system is workign too well.  I have developed this recently and let me tell you it's such a bitch!  Been so damn annoying trying to get this under control. It's like red dots on my legs and arms. Making it very hard for me to wear skirts and short sleaves.  I really hope this goes away soon. Or I might hit the tanning salon to see if I can go darker to hide it.  It's just so embarassing. I hate how people look at me and how I have to wear so much clothing to hide it.

The doctors say there's nothing I can do except wait it out. Stupid auto immune disorder!  angry.gif  Has anyone else had this happen? It's more common with younger kids... I guess I not only look like a child but I also have the physiology of one.  unsure.gif

So ya... I hate my skin too!  banghead.gif

I read your post and I have to tell you my story (I'll try to keep it brief)...

A couple years ago I started noticing those little 'red dots' on my legs ... mostly on my shins/calves ... no itching ... just dots. They would fade, then more would always come. Around this time I also started feeling very sickly, lethargic .. and one day, I experienced this deep, horrible pain in my legs and my ankle/knee joints, sometimes they would swell up really really bad. This went on for weeks ... doctors did all kinds of tests .. for Lyme disease, Lupus, Hepatitis, etc ... nothing showed up. They had me on Prednisone for awhile, and everything cleared up ... but within a week of being off it, all my sympotoms would return. I learned over the course of the years, that these dots were an immune reaction to elastic/latex/plastic (like socks, shoes etc .. ) I know it sounds crazy, but I had to avoid wearing socks and could only wear certain shoes that didn't have any vinyl on them (sneakers were OK, but dress shoes were not). I also found out the hard way that I could not wear eyeglasses (sounds crazy, I know!!) because I would have swelling in my face, even my throat and tongue would swell ...apparently from the little plastic part that rests on your nose. I never had any allergies/sensetivities before, so all this was a nitemare for me.

I've seen all kinds of doctors about this ... but it was my Rheumatologist that helped me figure out what it was (after 2 years!!). He knew this was some type of autoimmune disorder, but what was causing it?

A couple months before all these health problems started, I had started drinking ALOT of coffee. I was drinking like 2 giant Tim Horton's X-large cups a day.

I found out just in the last 2 months, that caffeine acts as a diuretic, and can severly deplete the vitiamin/mineral reserves in your body. My doctor checked my Vit. D and B levels, and the D3 level was EXTREMELY low. So I stopped drinking regualr coffee (drink decaf now) and started taking a real good Multivitamin, plus an extra D supplement. Its been about 2.5 months, and I AM ALMOST COMPLETELY RECOVERED!!

It seems crazy to me that all these problems were caused by a vitamin deficiency, but in fact, that it what it was. So, please, anyone reading this ... INSIST THAT YOUR DOCTORS CHECK YOUR VITAMIN B, D and FOLATE LEVELS!!! These are not part of your regular Complete Blood Count (CBC) test ..it is a different kind of test for the vitamin levels.

I went through 2 years of hell because of this, so if I can save even one person from going through what I did, it would be worth it.

Wishing you the best of health ...

yyzena rose.gif

Ya that sounds exactly what it was with me. The red dots only showed up after I was sick and then they would stay and not go away. I had that for 4 months and all I could do was wait it out and increase my vitamin intake because my blood vessels kept breaking because they were so fragile. It wasn't an allergy because it seemed to be worse when my legs or arms had pressure on them. I had to increase my intake of Vitamin C which was weird because if you know me, you know Im ALWAYS eating citrus fruits and veggies. But I had to watch my intake of Vitamin D, Potassium and iron because it showed up that I had very low levels in my blood. I gotta get my potassium levels checked again cause Im starting to have symptoms of a deficiency (cramping in the 4th and 5th metatarsals and loss of balance)

I'm also a caffiene junkie and it's not the healthiest thing in the world but in my case it's necessary to a point.

But I havent had it happen again and I had a nasty flu for 4 weeks last month so I hope it doesn't happen anymore.

Thanks for sharing your story. smile.gif

Edited by Ya_Big_Tree

In the winter I'm really pale and in the summer I alternate between bright red and ghostly white. I don't tan on my face at all, even though I tan fine on my arms and legs. I've also noticed that I get more zits and spots and blotches just before my periods.

DON'TCHA JUST LUUURRRVE PUBERTY???

Update: I have to say that isotretinoin (Accutane) has been everything I had hoped for. I took it for 8 months and it was completely worth the monthly blood tests, derm appointments, and questionnaires. The worst side effect I had was that my lips dried and peeled badly. No depression, nothing weird.

Two months after my last dose, my skin is still oil-free. bncegrn.gif bncegrn.gif bncegrn.gif

QUOTE (peoplecanteatmachinefood @ Apr 22 2010, 06:28 PM)
No hair loss or thinning? And were the capsules ridiculously huge?

No hair loss, no thinning. I was on the 40mg dose twice daily (the maximum) and the capsules were no bigger than, say, an amoxicillin capsule.

Seriously, the only complaint I had was that my lips split, peeled, cracked and bled if I didn't keep them coated in chapstick or some such.

I even went to get my hair colored during this time and warned my colorist about it. No problems there either.

Ok, just came across this thread...as I am having a terrible time with my face! From the time I was pregnant (turned 21 right before my son was born) up until about 3-4 years ago, I had the skin of a hormonal teenager! I had regular break-outs and nothing ever seemed to help. Then, miraculously, my skin seemed to clear up, and I have enjoyed (relatively) blemish-free skin up until recently. Last Monday, I woke up with this strange red rash that covered just my cheeks. It was VERY swollen and inflamed. It then went through various stages of red, dry, flaky, swollen, burning...it was awful! Then, it seemed a couple of days ago that it might be clearing up. I got up Saturday afternoon (I'm working nights right now), went for my 3 mile run and came home to a shower. After my shower, the skin from just under my eyes to my jawline was super red. As my skin dried out after the shower, it started to feel like someone had a blowtorch to my cheeks! Then, to my horror, the skin started sluffing off to the point where there were parts that were raw and starting to bleed! I called in sick to work and headed to the ER.

After a 2 hour wait (it would have been longer if all the ER staff didn't know me as being a local cop) the doctor came to see me. After questioning me about my family's medical history, the fact that my mother has Lupus came up. The doctor is concerned that that might be causing my outbreak! How horrifying! I am a pretty healthy person...never smoked, never did any illegal drugs, eat fairly well and exercise frequently. In fact, aside from over-indulging in good wine and spirits from time to time, I lead a pretty healthy lifestyle. I know that Lupus is an autoimmune disease and that genetics play a big role in a person developing it, but come on! I'm only 31!

So, I am on steroids for 6 days and on pins and needles waiting for the blood work to come back next week. On the upside, just three hours after taking the first dose of steroids, the redness is almost gone, and the swelling is starting to go down. Thank God for small miracles! applaudit.gif