2112 Show of Hands

Sark

Before Geddy sings "and the meek shall inherit the earth" he looks over at Alex like what the hell is taking so long. It's a funny moment, but being the perfectionists that they are, I'm surprised this little flub while funny, made it to the video.

goodpost.gif You know.... I'm surprised I never thought enough to ask Slaine, who was there. I love that moment too.

Slaine, do you remember this event? What happened? Did Alex do it on purpose or did something go wrong?

I love when Geddy points his thumb in Alex's direction while he's singing the line.

Such a classic moment.

653.gif 2.gif AlexFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif 2.gif 653.gif

I've mentioned this elsewhere, but historically, Geddy and Alex have always had a slight timing problem at this point. Of all the times I've heard this 'live' there's almost always some kind of 'fumbling' as to the exact timing. Like Alex not coming in just right or Geddy singing 'faster' to catch up because he came in late. Now I'm not nit-picking here, just a observation I've had over ther years. Actually, I kind of 'wait for it' each time, to see what happens! smile.gif I don't care if they get it perfect or not. I enjoy watching their faces during that part, to see how happy they are when it does come off correctly! biggrin.gif I like that they have fun with it, no matter how it comes out! yes.gif

I don't remember exactly where I heard/read this, but I seem to remember someone saying that the "timing problem" on ASOH, is actually Alex screwing with Geddy. Can't back that up though, it's just a memory. Anyone else remember this?

To be honest, I don't actually remember this - I think it got any recollection got wiped out by Alex's vocal efforts (*cough*) during la Villa. However, judging by Geddy's facial expression and Alex's general clowning on both nights, I always got the impression that it was intentional.

The HYF tour was the first time I remember Rush really adding some humour into their sets as, previously, they had tended to play it all very straight. I know some people have voiced some objections to this sort of thing (particularly the Rants), but I think it adds another dimension to the band on stage

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Mar 5 2005, 12:11 PM)
The HYF tour was the first time I remember Rush really adding some humour into their sets as, previously, they had tended to play it all very straight. I know some people have voiced some objections to this sort of thing (particularly the Rants), but I think it adds another dimension to the band on stage

Agreed, Slaine. I think they always had an element of humor, though to a lesser degree. Witness the interaction between Ged & Al on Bytor on the ESL video. It is quite entertaining.

When I was younger I liked the way Rush "played it straight" as you put it. The first time I saw extensive clowning around, it threw me. And, to be honest, I didn't like it. This was RUSH after all, they were supposed to be above such childish shenanigans. Little did I realize then, I was the one behaving like a child. Over the years, especially as I've gotten older, I have come to love this side of the band. It's good to see that these guys don't take themselves too seriously. Yes, they are serious about their music, but not to a point of not being able to poke fun at themselves. I now look forward to the clowning around. It let's me see that although these guys are famous musicians, they're regular guys, like me.

I think it's intentional because after that part happens they walk towards each other and you see Alex laugh first, then Geddy gives a smirk and it looks like he says something, then Alex laughs again...It is classic...And I say it's just Alex 'clowning around'! Gotta love em!

heart.gif AlexFinal.gif heart.gif

Actually, that is the fact that the ASoH was fuilmed over a couple of nights and the different performances are spliced together. I've seen it happen on other live videos that were composite performances. For example, if I remember correctly (and its been a while since I watched it), on Queensryche's Operation Livecrime video, Eddie Jackson's bass and shirt change colour mid song on a couple of occasions.

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Mar 5 2005, 12:39 PM)
QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Mar 5 2005, 12:11 PM)
The HYF tour was the first time I remember Rush really adding some humour into their sets as, previously, they had tended to play it all very straight.  I know some people have voiced some objections to this sort of thing (particularly the Rants), but I think it adds another dimension to the band on stage

Agreed, Slaine. I think they always had an element of humor, though to a lesser degree. Witness the interaction between Ged & Al on Bytor on the ESL video. It is quite entertaining.

When I was younger I liked the way Rush "played it straight" as you put it. The first time I saw extensive clowning around, it threw me. And, to be honest, I didn't like it. This was RUSH after all, they were supposed to be above such childish shenanigans. Little did I realize then, I was the one behaving like a child. Over the years, especially as I've gotten older, I have come to love this side of the band. It's good to see that these guys don't take themselves too seriously. Yes, they are serious about their music, but not to a point of not being able to poke fun at themselves. I now look forward to the clowning around. It let's me see that although these guys are famous musicians, they're regular guys, like me.

Well put Snow! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Excelent post Bro!

Rush has always been about taking the music seriously, but taking themselves lightly!! Look at all the little things that point towards this from over the years. Read about their history... they start a cream pie fight with Kiss, on stage even, back in 1974(75)! They've always had fun together! It's on of the MAIN THINGS that keeps them together and friends for SOOO long! Without all of their sense of humor, frankly, I don't believe there would be a RUSH today, at least not one like we have now anyway! Without it, a shrimp, caught in you teeth, would just be a shrimp caught in your teeth... and nothing more!!! Their sense of humor proliferates their whole being, which seeps into all aspects of their lives, including their record making as well as their live preformances, thank God!

So keep ranting Alex, and do another episode of Trailer Park Boys... Neil, keep laughing at Alex, and more Sponge Bob on the drums... and Geddy, maybe next tour you could get the bigger industrial dryers and one of you could hop in and go for a "dryer ride" during the show...

Just keep enjoying yourselves, and we will too!! applaudit.gif

QUOTE (afansince74 @ Mar 5 2005, 09:12 AM)
I've mentioned this elsewhere, but historically, Geddy and Alex have always had a slight timing problem at this point. Of all the times I've heard this 'live' there's almost always some kind of 'fumbling' as to the exact timing. Like Alex not coming in just right or Geddy singing 'faster' to catch up because he came in late. Now I'm not nit-picking here, just a observation I've had over ther years. Actually, I kind of 'wait for it' each time, to see what happens! smile.gif I don't care if they get it perfect or not. I enjoy watching their faces during that part, to see how happy they are when it does come off correctly! biggrin.gif I like that they have fun with it, no matter how it comes out! yes.gif

laugh.gif goodpost.gif

Haha, 2112 on ASoH is great! tongue.gif I also like the part where Alex pretends to cry, so Geddy walks up to him all serious-like, and pats him on the shoulder (it looks like he's saying something like, "It's ok..." ), and then suddenly acts like he tries to smack Alex across the face...but he backs up in just enough time...then Alex points and laughs at Geddy, lol. Ah...great stuff new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

-Matt

Archived