ghostworks

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (nebbish @ Dec 19 2009, 10:36 AM)
http://www.thegreenwellystop.co.uk/whiskyshop/images/uploads/Bushmills-Malt.jpg

Oldest & best... ph34r.gif

It's a lovely drop, but a pup compared to it's 16 yr old brother.

Have you tried the 1608? Released to commemorate the 400 yr birthday? Unbelievable. To quote Paul Hogan, "like an angel crying on your tongue!!"

QUOTE (metallithrax @ Dec 18 2009, 07:54 PM)
Not sure if this should be posted in here, but would this be any good for you?

http://www.whiskyshop.com/Shop/Detail.aspx?pid=2505

Wow, I mean, I couldn't open it if I had it. Spill a drop and your down a few quid. And imagine, imagine, IMAGINE, if you drank a dram and said, "nah the Ardbeg 10 is better..................."

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Dec 21 2009, 11:31 PM)
QUOTE (metallithrax @ Dec 18 2009, 02:54 PM)

Are you offering to buy one for the thread?

Here here! applaudit.gif

If the lottery numbers come up, why not.

Wow, I mean, I couldn't open it if I had it. Spill a drop and your down a few quid. And imagine, imagine, IMAGINE, if you drank a dram and said, "nah the Ardbeg 10 is better..................."

I imagine that would be a bitch, but you'd still have to drink it. Couldn't waste something that cost that much.

Edited by metallithrax

QUOTE (metallithrax @ Dec 24 2009, 10:44 AM)
QUOTE (ghostworks @ Dec 21 2009, 11:31 PM)
QUOTE (metallithrax @ Dec 18 2009, 02:54 PM)

Are you offering to buy one for the thread?

Here here! applaudit.gif

If the lottery numbers come up, why not.

I imagine that would be a bitch, but you'd still have to drink it. Couldn't waste something that cost that much.

oh, I agree, it's just the heartbreak.........

QUOTE (vital signz @ Dec 24 2009, 03:56 AM)
I just got a bottle of Glenfiddich 18 and I have to say that compared to the Macallan 18 I usually drink, it stands up just fine. In fact, I would say it is just as enjoyable.

It's a lovely drop, as is the 15. Fiddich gets a bad press from whisky snobs(probably due to its ubiquity), but they are producing some serious whiskies.

My last bottle of 15 is long gone, and the 18 is desperately shallow looking these days.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg293/goose_trf/mcclellands-islay.jpg

Had some of this over the holidays. I really enjoyed it. If I drink scotch, it's usually one of the Glens, but this was great. I loved the smokiness.

Here's more on this one...

http://www.mcclellands.co.uk/mcclellands-islay/

http://www.mcclellands.co.uk/islay-whisky-wheel/

Edited by goose

QUOTE (Alph Seeker @ Dec 29 2009, 10:24 AM)
QUOTE (Gov @ Dec 24 2009, 04:56 AM)
Try the 'Fiddich 15 Solera Reserve.  IMHO, much better than the 18!

^^^ 2nd.

Best bang for the buck I've found!

[*adding to my ever-lengthening list]

yes.gif

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jan 9 2010, 04:40 PM)
Laphroaig Quarter Cask.

Now we're talking! Smoky, sensual, peat fires, winter evenings, Sam & Dave.

Perfect 10.

Agreed. The LQC is like bathing in a flaming liquid blanket of oak leaves and chimney dust.

My last dram of the LQC was drunk on a third floor deck overlooking the Atlantic ocean in a snowstorm...

(and yes, you're right - I wasn't cold at all wink.gif )

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jan 9 2010, 06:24 PM)
Ah, the last dram from a bottle of Talisker 10, always a sad occasion. But does give one an excuse to buy another one!

Or: to track down the 1992 Distiller's Edition (retails for under $70)

"...like all Classic Malt Distillers Editions, this Talisker has been double-matured in a second cask after the original maturation period (in this case in an Amoroso Sherry cask). The experience is older, sweeter and richer than the regular bottlings. This Edition has a very special bitter-sweet harmony where the peat softens on the palate to a rich, sweet, juicy fruit finish..."

If you haven't had the pleasure, you must you must...

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Jan 11 2010, 06:12 PM)
Ah, the last dram from a bottle of Talisker 10, always a sad occasion. But does give one an excuse to buy another one!

"...like all Classic Malt Distillers Editions, this Talisker has been double-matured in a second cask after the original maturation period (in this case in an Amoroso Sherry cask). The experience is older, sweeter and richer than the regular bottlings. This Edition has a very special bitter-sweet harmony where the peat softens on the palate to a rich, sweet, juicy fruit finish..."

I have it. I was passing through Gatwick Airport last year and this salesman stops me whilst I'm browsing and offers me a tot of the '92. It was love at first taste.

It's a beaut.

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Jan 11 2010, 06:12 PM)

I have it. I was passing through Gatwick Airport last year and this salesman stops me whilst I'm browsing and offers me a tot of the '92. It was love at first taste.

It's a beaut.

Now we're talking. An Islay without a hint of peat and Cask Strength too.

Laydeez an' Gennulmen, I present the Caol Ila 8 year Unpeated.

Holy Mary. Firstly, the nose does not give one the impression of the danger lurking in its depths. Kinda citrusy, very sweet. But. It's 64.5%. First mouthful, let it swirl, maybe chew it, again, big citrus taste, more Highland than Islay to be sure.

Then, swallow, and this rush of heat starts off from your core until it's emanating from every pore.

Remarkable whisky.