Single Malt Scotch Fans

ghostworks

I've got one of those "Friends of Laphroaig" deeds...wish I could visit

Stopped tonight, in a terrible downpour & ugly traffic, to pick up a fresh bottle of Laphroaig 10Yr...alas, there was no Laphroaig product of any kind to be had...the shelves were totally cleaned out

I wasn't leaving empty handed after the ordeal I went through to get there....picked up Caol Ila 12, which I've never sampled

It's not Laphroaig...it's more like Bunnahabhain 12 or maybe Ardbeg I'd say...more punch than Bowmore which I've tried a couple of times

It's no contest for me - Laphroaig hands down vs. all others I've tried...as has been said by others, you either love it or you hate it

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BaldiePete @ Jan 21 2011, 07:42 PM)
Heavenly !

http://popsop.ru/wp-content/uploads/scapa_pernod.jpg

I've seen this...I will have to check it out.

Special delivery arrived yesterday from Laphroaig. A bottle of Cask Strength 10 yr and it's bigger, but softer 18 yr old brother.

Oh Lord, the 18 is something else. All the pungency, smoke & iodine you expect from a Laphroaig, but there's a mellowness there too and it's just beautiful.

Shall open the Cask Strength at a later date.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Apr 30 2011, 10:13 AM)
Special delivery arrived yesterday from Laphroaig. A bottle of Cask Strength 10 yr and it's bigger, but softer 18 yr old brother.

Oh Lord, the 18 is something else. All the pungency, smoke & iodine you expect from a Laphroaig, but there's a mellowness there too and it's just beautiful.

Shall open the Cask Strength at a later date.

That's good stuff, but good God its like eating a chunk of peat moss!

So I get home this evening, and lo and behold, on the kitchen table is the card my wife got me for our 18the anniversary tomorrow.. and it is taped to a bottle of this:

http://thirstyblogger.my/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/laphroaig-quarter-cask.jpg

I've never had any quarter cask before, much less Laphroaig quarter cask. So does one have to drink it neat? If not, on the rocks? Or perhaps cut with some water.. how much?

Any advice would be helpful.

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ May 30 2011, 04:46 AM)
So I get home this evening, and lo and behold, on the kitchen table is the card my wife got me for our 18the anniversary tomorrow.. and it is taped to a bottle of this:

http://thirstyblogger.my/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/laphroaig-quarter-cask.jpg

I've never had any quarter cask before, much less Laphroaig quarter cask. So does one have to drink it neat? If not, on the rocks? Or perhaps cut with some water.. how much?

Any advice would be helpful.

Enjoy your bottle of Quarter Cask. It's a stunning whisky. It's a good, strong whisky, not quite cask strength, but at 48%, packs a considerable punch.

To really experience it in all of it's glory, try the first mouthful neat, wash it around your mouth and see how you get on. Then, add thimbleful of water, you should see quite a difference.

Slainte!

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Apr 30 2011, 09:13 AM)
...oh Lord, the 18 is something else. All the pungency, smoke & iodine you expect from a Laphroaig, but there's a mellowness there too and it's just beautiful.

trink39.gif absolutely spot on

the 18 is unreal, and 'on my list' of malts to add to the cabinet

my uncle had a bottle a year back (or more) and I shared whenever I could

the last time I had any was the Laphroaig tasting last fall

...it's been entirely too long!

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Aug 25 2010, 12:32 PM)
As a Friend of Laphroaig, every so often the distillery releases a limited edition batch to their "Friends".

The latest Laphroaig "Cairdeas"(Gaelic for friends) is a humdinger of an animal. It's a mix of 11, 15, 17 and 19yr old bourbon and hogshead casks and rows in at a palette numbing 57.3%.

Funnily enough, tasted neat there is not the fire one would expect. Very warming, but no running to the tap. Citrus and pepper notes abound. The strange thing is there is very little smoke initially, and then long after you've swallowed after a good swilling, wisps of smoke appear and linger long after you've finished the glass.

Another Laphroaig stonker. If I lived on Islay, I'd be dead now.

Okay then. This years Laphroaig Cairdeas arrived yesterday......

It's called "Ileach", and it's some ride. This is unlike any Laphroaig I've ever tasted. It took a while for this one to blossom, but when it did, YOWSA!

First off, it's an 8 year old, finished off in Makers Mark casks, and then off to the dunnage, a damp warehouse....which for this whisky, the magic happens.

The nose has a faint smokiness to it, not as punchy as other Laphroaig variants, with a lovely hint of fruit, probably from the casks. It has a lovely pale gold colour. Taste wise, it's not a full on Laphroaig smoke-fest, it's kinda spicy, and at 50.5% it's got quite a punch, again, a fruitiness comes through. There are wisps of smoke in the background.

BUT!

The finish, oh dear God, the finish, put me in a dress and call me Nancy.

A good minute or so after swallowing, this insane briny, sea spray gently comes out of the fog. Quite amazing, and it stays. Not the iodine-y, seaweed experience I'm used to, but this quite incredible taste of the sea.

A stunning whisky, as usual, from our friends at Laphroaig. I'll guard this one jealously, as it's sold out already!

I'm currently working my way down one of the bottles I got at the airport on the way to Dublin last month. It's a special edition Ardbeg called "uigeadail" (pronounced "oog-e-dall"), 54.2% ABV non-chill filtered it is stunningly smoky with just a hint of sweetness. The nose is so good it's almost a shame to actually drink it. Of course I quickly dispel such thoughts and get it down my throat. biggrin.gif

http://ard-shop-media.s3.amazonaws.com/catalog/product/cache/1/image/f63dc5ec28f3175f8a7f615bd217eb71/0/0/003a-uigeadail.jpg

Just cracked open the Laphroaig Quarter Cask. First, had a shot. Now I'm enjoying a glass over ice.

I am amazed at the long finish. Sweet then smokey, sweet then smokey, etc...

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jul 15 2011, 08:06 PM)
Just cracked open the Laphroaig Quarter Cask. First, had a shot. Now I'm enjoying a glass over ice.

I am amazed at the long finish. Sweet then smokey, sweet then smokey, etc...

trink39.gif

excellent stuff...

QUOTE (BaldiePete @ Jul 1 2011, 06:08 PM)
I'm currently working my way down one of the bottles I got at the airport on the way to Dublin last month. It's a special edition Ardbeg called "uigeadail"...

sounds incredible... I'm anxious to try the Uigeadail and the Rollercoaster

now the Ardbeg Corryvreckan is unbelievable, and I just secured the Ardbeg 10 and a 'beast' last month (Airigh Nam Beist) that I've yet to open

so much drinking to get to wink.gif

QUOTE (toscanobarga @ Jul 16 2011, 07:27 PM)
Not many rock band forums have a Scotch section. Good to see. My avatar shows my preference.

Had some last month!

Wish it weren't Sunday so that I could head over to the liquor store. All I have left right now is some single malt that is only aged 36 months. I forget the name. It's not bad, but nothing to write about. Tomorrow I will search for a drop of the pure.