Rush virgin

@}~boosh~{@

I've heard of the band but really havent sat down and listened to any Rush music....until a few weeks ago when my good friend came down to visit me and my wife. She popped in a dvd of the Rush concert Snakes and Arrows and omg was I blown away. These guys are awesome!!!! I just want to listen to more now from the very first album on. Are there any recommended songs/albums that anyone would like to get me hooked on? th1245.gif

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll210/Shiznik_2008/RushBig.gif Edited by @}~boosh~{@

*tee hee* I have corrupted another person to the Rush side... laugh.gif

bekloppt.gif Mark!!!

You will love it here, great people, great music. This is a wonderful community. smile.gif

QUOTE (@}~boosh~{@ @ Mar 31 2009, 10:31 PM)
I've heard of the band but really havent sat down and listened to any Rush music....until a few weeks ago when my good friend came down to visit me and my wife. She popped in a dvd of the Rush concert Snakes and Arrows and omg was I blown away. These guys are awesome!!!! I just want to listen to more now from the very first album on. Are there any recommended songs/albums that anyone would like to get me hooked on? th1245.gif

seriously? for real? wow...been a long time since I met a virgin. I still get the same, ahem, rush, every time I find one!

listen...we're a bunch of die hards and even we cant agree what's the best, the worst, the rockin-est, the keyboard-iest...and most of us would never presume to tell you where to start.

All I can say is, welcome to the fold, and enjoy your discovery.

QUOTE (@]~boosh~[@ @ Apr 1 2009, 03:31 PM)
Are  there any recommended songs/albums that anyone would like to get me hooked on?  th1245.gif

As ReRushed said, just dive straight in, it really doesn't matter. Be sure to give us your impressions cool.gif

As a virgin all I can tell you is I've got a fist full of astroglide...and I'm never gentle....welcome to the board. tongue.gif

All this is true, most of us feel you can't go wrong with any Rush, but as you will soon find out, choosing can be daunting.

Get Moving Pictures - buy it, don't borrow it - it will save you time and you won't be tempted to pirate it (integrity is one of the commandments of being a Rush fan tongue.gif ) Borrow or buy the Snakes and Arrows Live DVD.

From there, you are not on your own. Come back often and enjoy the ride!!

wink.gif forget vapor trails and test for echo,for a virgin like yourself you may find these hard to dig.

Start with moving pictures,farewell to kings and permanent waves,you may find the debut and fly by night a bit "raw" also for a live album may i recommend different stages.

enjoy your time at trf. biggrin.gif

i started with Rush GOLD and from then on... you get the point. has their best from most albums biggrin.gif

for live albums, start with either Rush in Rio or Different Stages. They both have some rare stuff that won't appear in "best of" collections.

spread out from there, i guess tongue.gif

OMG..barely has his cherry popped!

30+ year fan here.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v423/KublaKhan/theater_sign_2.gif

A good song from each album to start you off. (In Order)

Working Man

Anthem

Bastille Day

Closer To The Heart

La Villa Strangiato

Freewill

Red Barchetta

Subdivisions

Afterimage

Mystic Rhythms

Time Stand Still

The Pass

Bravado

Stick It Out

Driven

One Little Victory

Armor And Sword.

Go.

Welcome aboard to the wonderful ride that is being a Rush fan. It's a little insane at times, but hang on tight and you'll be able to stick it out. ;3

Um.. Let's see... I'd recommend listening to all the albums (you can find every song on Youtube, I guarantee it); at least one or two songs from each. There's such a wide variety of songs and styles they've done, generally changing every several years, but you get a variety per album too.

I personally started with Moving Pictures and Power Windows, then went straight into Snakes and Arrows (that was a shocking change for me, lol; for a little bit I doubted it was the same band) and then to all the other albums (in the general order of Permanent Waves, 2112, Signals, Fly By Night, Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres, and then jumped to Grace Under Pressure and worked my way forwards from there). '70's were more of the heavy rock/metal kind of feel in many of the songs, '80's were the synths era, and '90's... Um.. I'm not sure how to describe it, but a lot less of the keys.

Maybe check out their live albums and videos of performances on Youtube, too. It's total epic-sauce. Many of their best moments have been not in the studio, but on the lighted stage!

Good luck, and godspeed. xD

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Dec 7 2010, 04:19 AM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Mar 31 2009, 09:33 PM)
All of them!

goodpost.gif

listen to them all from beginning to end and judge for yourself trink39.gif

That's what I would do! I love all their songs. cool.gif

You pretty much have to start with the popular, catchy, well-known stuff (Tom Sawyer, The Spirit of Radio etc.) From there, 2112 (definitely), Hemispheres, and A Farewell to Kings are must-haves. Other than that, you'll have to find out for yourself.

Some songs you will have to listen to a couple times to really "get" them. They're not bad, they just take getting used to (Jacob's Ladder for one).

But really, start with the stuff that everybody knows.