70s Rush...it's just my opinion of course

Presto-digitation

QUOTE (JPRushHed @ Mar 23 2009, 06:02 PM)
Emo is the new prog, discuss.

Maiden is progressive metal, as is Queensryche.

I wouldn't really classify Maiden as Progressive metal at all........Queensryche, yes.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have read comments online where there are some die-hard fans that believe Rush was their best with the 1974 self titled debut album featuring drummer John Rutsey. To them, Rush was a blues hard rock band in its purest, most basic and uncomplicated form, similar to Bad Company. They refuse to acknowledge the existence of Neil Peart and ignore the rest of the band's discography.

Check this out that I found:

Geddy Lee has mentioned in a few interviews that the band does not have any unreleased studio recordings.

However if the band were to put out a box set, they should include the various out of print or unreleased songs: "You Can't Fight It", "Garden Road", "Fancy Dancer" and the covers "Not Fade Away" "Run Willie Run" and "Bad Boy" along with anything recorded or not recorded before that onto a disc from the link below where it says "original compositions".

Rush - Pre 1974

I also found this John Rutsey interview although I do wonder if it was him that was really interviewed for it:

An "Interview" with John Rutsey

QUOTE (RushFanForever @ Mar 28 2009, 11:26 PM)
Geddy Lee has mentioned in a few interviews that the band does not have any unreleased studio recordings.

However if the band were to put out a box set, they should include the various out of print or unreleased songs: "You Can't Fight It", "Garden Road", "Fancy Dancer" and the covers "Not Fade Away" "Run Willie Run" and "Bad Boy"

Two things:

1. I don't think the band would put that stuff out there for mass consumption. Even stuff from CoS, 2112, etc., they now compare to "children's drawing on the fridge" - not equal at all to the later, more mature and "adult artwork" they've done since.

2. Those songs you just listed used to be available as MP3s on the Net, on a now-defunct Rush site called "Freedom of Music." Although they're not THERE anymore, an enterprising dude could probably find them on the Net SOMEWHERE.

I have read comments online where there are some die-hard fans that believe Rush was their best with the 1974 self titled debut album featuring drummer John Rutsey. To them, Rush was a blues hard rock band in its purest, most basic and uncomplicated form, similar to Bad Company. A lot of them have disregarded anything after that with Neil Peart.

I've never met such a fan in the 25 years I've been listening to Rush and the 10 years I've been on Rush boards. At best, I've met fans who are kind and gracious to "the ol' Pink and White" album, maybe call it "underrated," but that's about it. I don't think I've met anyone who called it their favorite.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Mar 28 2009, 11:35 PM)

However if the band were to put out a box set, they should include the various out of print or unreleased songs: "You Can't Fight It", "Garden Road", "Fancy Dancer" and the covers "Not Fade Away" "Run Willie Run" and "Bad Boy"

Two things:

1. I don't think the band would put that stuff out there for mass consumption. Even stuff from CoS, 2112, etc., they now compare to "children's drawing on the fridge" - not equal at all to the later, more mature and "adult artwork" they've done since.

2. Those songs you just listed used to be available as MP3s on the Net, on a now-defunct Rush site called "Freedom of Music." Although they're not THERE anymore, an enterprising dude could probably find them on the Net SOMEWHERE.

I have read comments online where there are some die-hard fans that believe Rush was their best with the 1974 self titled debut album featuring drummer John Rutsey. To them, Rush was a blues hard rock band in its purest, most basic and uncomplicated form, similar to Bad Company. A lot of them have disregarded anything after that with Neil Peart.

I've never met such a fan in the 25 years I've been listening to Rush and the 10 years I've been on Rush boards. At best, I've met fans who are kind and gracious to "the ol' Pink and White" album, maybe call it "underrated," but that's about it. I don't think I've met anyone who called it their favorite.

Nor I...never, not once. I've seen some rank it in their top 5 even, but never as their top album.

I can enjoy it, but it's so neandrathalic in the evolution sense of Rush it's almost appreciated on a whimsical level to me.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Mar 29 2009, 05:35 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Mar 28 2009, 11:35 PM)

Two things:

Nor I...never, not once. I've seen some rank it in their top 5 even, but never as their top album.

I can enjoy it, but it's so neandrathalic in the evolution sense of Rush it's almost appreciated on a whimsical level to me.

That's because you've not met King Troll in person...

laugh.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Mar 29 2009, 05:35 PM)
...it's almost appreciated on a whimsical level to me.

laugh.gif

yes.gif

goodpost.gif

trink39.gif

Same here.

Archived