Rush/Rupert Hine connection of another sort

GeddyRulz

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Mar 17 2009, 08:13 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Mar 17 2009, 07:09 PM)
QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Mar 13 2009, 09:49 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Mar 13 2009, 09:39 PM)
... so we're back to my earlier post: "Rupert's production took all the piss out of" Prestotongue.gif

Too bad he didn't take all the shit out while he was at it.

yes.gif outside of THE PASS, i think it's shit

1022.gif

no Chain Lightning for metaldad?

laugh.gif

Why does everyone seem to think that every single goddamned album in the world has to have the "hard rock kick-ass rock your face off overdriven to the point that you can't make out any notes guitar turned up to 11 synths aren't rockin' enough" sound to them? Every single complaint I see about Presto and Roll the Bones is "They don't rock enough" or "the guitar isn't hard enough." Same things with Hold Your Fire and Power Windows: "there's too much synth." I'm sick of it, why the hell does everything have to be about guitars? Sure, guitar is great in music, but not all music has to have a dominant guitar part. Why can't people appreciate the music for what it is and stop bitching about what it isn't?

QUOTE (Syaoran_2001 @ Mar 18 2009, 09:29 PM)
Why does everyone seem to think that every single goddamned album in the world has to have the "hard rock kick-ass rock your face off overdriven to the point that you can't make out any notes guitar turned up to 11 synths aren't rockin' enough" sound to them?  Every single complaint I see about Presto and Roll the Bones is "They don't rock enough" or "the guitar isn't hard enough."  Same things with Hold Your Fire and Power Windows: "there's too much synth."  I'm sick of it, why the hell does everything have to be about guitars?  Sure, guitar is great in music, but not all music has to have a dominant guitar part.  Why can't people appreciate the music for what it is and stop bitching about what it isn't?

My notes on this:

1. Actually, one of the softest songs on Presto, perhaps one of the softest within the entire Rush catalog, is also one of my very favorites: "Available Light." I don't require EVERY song to be hard-rocking, although that certainly helps.

2. Rush are not a keyboard-driven band; they pretended to be during the New Wave 80s, but they never were. This is a guitar band. They have a virtuosic drummer, virtuosic bassist, and virtuosic guitarist, but a stand-in "keyboardist" who's admittedly "no Keith Emerson; I'm only as good as the part I've written." I don't HATE keyboards; I love the way Yes uses them. But their presence in Rush music is another matter entirely; they really don't belong there, except as a little flavor.

2A. When Geddy's playing keyboards, he's not playing bass... and being a bass enthusiast who thinks Geddy's one of the best bassists, I think that sucks.

2B. When Geddy's playing the melody on keyboards, Alex is relegated to pathetic little staccato rhythmic strums, a'la Andy Summers or reggae music. That's a complete waste of his talent. And again, that's not what Rush are about.

3. The problem with Presto isn't exactly that the songs "don't rock enough," the problem is with the production. These songs are all good, and could be MADE TO SEEM that they "rock," but no, Rupert's production left these songs in the land of Blah. It's not the music, it just needs to be "punched-up" more on the mixing board. (BTW, Geddy Lee himself has said something similar on the matter, so I have the band on my side. tongue.gif )

4. You obviously didn't have me in mind when you stereotyped the typical fan as hating both PoW and HYF... I love both albums, particularly HYF, keyboards or not.

That rant wasn't directed at anyone in particular, it was just me being frustrated with all the guitar snobs who think that synth has no place in rock music and that all rock music should be hard rocking guitar only.

I love synth, and I especially love synth in Rush songs. Power Windows is my favorite Rush album because of the fact that it's so synth heavy. As for Alex's guitar being shoved to the back in those synth heavy songs, I disagree, Power Windows has some of Alex's best solos i.e. Emotion Detector, The Big Money, Middletown Dreams. The same can be said about Geddy's bass parts on the album, I think PW has some of Geddy's most dynamic and interesting bass lines.

This rant wasn't only about Rush either; I'm sick of hearing things like "AC/DC is so awesome, they rock so much!" I think AC/DC is the perhaps the worst band I have ever heard in my life. Every single song they have written sounds exactly the same. They all have the same chords, same riffs, same drum beats, and same vocals. Even when they got a new vocalist, the vocals sounded the same. I keep hearing songs from their new album on the classic rock station and sound just like the shit from their old albums. There was a guy who wrote into the radio station about the recent AC/DC concert and said something like "they didn't need to keep changing guitars throughout the show like some bands do, they used the same guitars all night." They don't need to change guitars because all of their songs are in the same damn key, the key of suck major.

QUOTE (Syaoran_2001 @ Mar 18 2009, 11:05 PM)
I'm sick of hearing things like "AC/DC is so awesome, they rock so much!" I think AC/DC is the perhaps the worst band I have ever heard in my life. Every single song they have written sounds exactly the same. They all have the same chords, same riffs, same drum beats, and same vocals. Even when they got a new vocalist, the vocals sounded the same. I keep hearing songs from their new album on the classic rock station and sound just like the shit from their old albums.

laugh.gif

trink39.gif

I have to agree with your ACDC rant - it's entirely true. I hate them, too... and it's because EVERY song is exactly the same.

I work part-time on a large Classic Rock station. When the new ACDC single came out, I had a listener call me and request it, saying he hadn't yet heard it. "What's it sound like?" he asked me. Did he even have to ask??? "It sounds like ACDC," I told him. "You know... like every other song they ever did!" He was a fan, but even he had to admit that it was true. (My best friend also likes them, but concedes that all their songs are alike.) They're just a party band: get drunk and go to the show with your girl - maybe she'll flash them. "Good times!" Little or no musicianship. They're the Jimmy Buffett of metal.

QUOTE (Syaoran_2001 @ Mar 18 2009, 09:29 PM)
Why does everyone seem to think that every single goddamned album in the world has to have the "hard rock kick-ass rock your face off overdriven to the point that you can't make out any notes guitar turned up to 11 synths aren't rockin' enough" sound to them? Every single complaint I see about Presto and Roll the Bones is "They don't rock enough" or "the guitar isn't hard enough." Same things with Hold Your Fire and Power Windows: "there's too much synth." I'm sick of it, why the hell does everything have to be about guitars? Sure, guitar is great in music, but not all music has to have a dominant guitar part. Why can't people appreciate the music for what it is and stop bitching about what it isn't?

chill brother [or sister] biggrin.gif

everyone here loves the band just not everything they do . me , i hate the whole snyth thing. not for me. it is not they they did not put out some great song's but, i think if there were more guitar/less snyth i would like albums like HYF a little more .

1022.gif

QUOTE (Prince Sphinc-Tor @ Mar 11 2009, 07:43 PM)
QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Mar 11 2009, 08:19 PM)
Remember back in 1990 and everyone had Geldof's "Vegetarians of Love" album? That so kicked ass.

I guess I missed 1990 'cuz I don't have it.

It's comforting to see that it's not just my dry sense of humor that gets lost on the Internet. biggrin.gif

Stevie Nicks - The Other Side of the Mirror (album) (1988)

Tina Turner - Foreign Affair (tracks) (1989)

Rush - Presto (album) (1989)

Thinkman - Hard Hat Zone (album) (1990)

Various Artists - One World One Voice (album) (1990)

The Fixx - Ink (tracks) (1990)

Bliss - A Change in the Weather (album) (1990)

Bob Geldof - The Vegetarians of Love (album) (1990)

Rush - Roll the Bones (album) (1991)

Remmy Ongala - Mambo (album) (1992)

Chris De Burgh - Power of Ten (album) (1992)

This reminds me of something I once saw on Sesame Street...

One of these bands is not like the others...one of these bands are not the same. laugh.gif

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Mar 19 2009, 12:37 PM)
Stevie Nicks - The Other Side of the Mirror (album) (1988)
Tina Turner - Foreign Affair (tracks) (1989)
Rush - Presto (album) (1989)
Thinkman - Hard Hat Zone (album) (1990)
Various Artists - One World One Voice (album) (1990)
The Fixx - Ink (tracks) (1990)
Bliss - A Change in the Weather (album) (1990)
Bob Geldof - The Vegetarians of Love (album) (1990)
Rush - Roll the Bones (album) (1991)
Remmy Ongala - Mambo (album) (1992)
Chris De Burgh - Power of Ten (album) (1992)

This reminds me of something I once saw on Sesame Street...

One of these bands is not like the others...one of these bands are not the same. laugh.gif

You mean Chris De Burgh? Yeah, what that cat was doing in the 90's was beyond it's time. Edgy.

Some may violently disagree with me on this, but I put some of the blame of what I don't like about the overall sound of TFE and VT (especially VT) and S&A on Alex's neverending insecurity about 'not enough guitar'. Really Alex, there can't be any keyboards to add some flavor and flesh out the sound? It has to be even more guitar overdubs and/or the dreaded annoying Geddy choir? I've never thought he was overshadowed by the synths in the DEW/PW/HYF/Presto/RTB years. Just because his guitar wasn't overpowering everything else didn't mean the song didn't sound good. Edited by jnoble

I remember in an interview Geddy mentioning the album "Immunity" as being an influence on Rush during the Moving Pictures era. It is considered to be Rupert's most well known and successful album.

Speaking of Rupert Hine and Rush, check out this fan encounter with both of them from the 2008 Snakes and Arrows tour below:

Two Night's With Rush

Here's a recent podcast interview with Rupert Hine from May of this year and RUSH is discussed.

The RUSH bits are from 2:14:05 to 2:31:05 here.

Great stuff thanks for that, defo checking out Rupert's Immunity album

I was reading some information about producer Rupert Hine yesterday, and as many of you know he�s released a few albums of his own music. One of his albums was called The Wildest Wish to Fly, and was released in the 80s.

Hmm. And now Neil has included the same exact phrase in a song, �Working Them Angels,� where he says, �...filling my spirit with the wildest wish to fly...� Coincidence? I don�t think so. Neil is aware of Rupert�s work, obviously, and it seems unlikely he would�ve used the same uncommon phrase by chance.

Just a discovery.

I have the Wildest Wish To Fly album on Vinyl. Firefly In The Night is beautiful and I think its called Vertigo ( we hang on) - is a really great song. There is a cold machine like production to this album, that I'm not too keen on. This album has character though. I really don't understand how and why Mr Hine got to produce the two Rush albums. I mean Wildest Wish is before the two Rush albums, giving insight into how Hine produces.

I was reading some information about producer Rupert Hine yesterday, and as many of you know he�s released a few albums of his own music. One of his albums was called The Wildest Wish to Fly, and was released in the 80s.

Hmm. And now Neil has included the same exact phrase in a song, �Working Them Angels,� where he says, �...filling my spirit with the wildest wish to fly...� Coincidence? I don�t think so. Neil is aware of Rupert�s work, obviously, and it seems unlikely he would�ve used the same uncommon phrase by chance.

Just a discovery.

I have the Wildest Wish To Fly album on Vinyl. Firefly In The Night is beautiful and I think its called Vertigo ( we hang on) - is a really great song. There is a cold machine like production to this album, that I'm not too keen on. This album has character though. I really don't understand how and why Mr Hine got to produce the two Rush albums. I mean Wildest Wish is before the two Rush albums, giving insight into how Hine produces.

As the recent podcast stated that I posted; Neil relished Rupert Hine's 1981 solo album Immunity, which contains 'I Hang On To My Vertigo'. The band pursued Hine to produce them in the early 80's, but declined. He was reluctant to work with the band due to Geddy's vocal style. Then Hine decided to take a chance if Geddy lowered his singing an octave. That's the story.

Just a discovery.

As the recent podcast stated that I posted; Neil relished Rupert Hine's 1981 solo album Immunity, which contains 'I Hang On To My Vertigo'. The band pursued Hine to produce them in the early 80's, but declined. He was reluctant to work with the band due to Geddy's vocal style. Then Hine decided to take a chance if Geddy lowered his singing an octave. That's the story.

Yep it seems that Hine was incredulous as to why they wanted to work with him, declining on many occasions. That' the line I take. Considering what Rush was -power rock trio. Yet the band wanted to collaborate holding him in very high regard with the work he had done. Seems Rush had a clear vision of the future sound they wanted to create and Hine was to be central to that.

Here's a recent podcast interview with Rupert Hine from May of this year and RUSH is discussed.

The RUSH bits are from 2:14:05 to 2:31:05 here.

Thanks for posting that. Always psyched to learn something new about my favorite band. Didn't know he was approached about previous albums. i guess timing is everything.

My guess is that he would have been the producer of Grace Under Pressure had he agreed. Who knows how those next few albums might have sounded? I know that Presto and Roll The Bones sound pretty thin, but I'm not sure if that would have applied to earlier albums. Rush appeared to be more open to change after Hold Your Fire.

I'm glad he mentioned Bravado too. I think that drum groove is one of the best things Neil has ever done especially live. That's a huge concert favorite for me.

Also didn't know he was the guy to that helped convince Geddy to sing in a more natural register and helped save his voice.

• Like 1

Maybe it's the Canadian in me but Rush selecting Rupert Hine and wanting him to produce since the early eighties must surely come from his work with Saga. The Worlds Apart album was great and the sound quality is very much like Presto and RTB. Clean, crisp, clear and not very much bottom end. I always assumed it was because of that work not that list of meh that was posted.

Maybe it's the Canadian in me but Rush selecting Rupert Hine and wanting him to produce since the early eighties must surely come from his work with Saga. The Worlds Apart album was great and the sound quality is very much like Presto and RTB. Clean, crisp, clear and not very much bottom end. I always assumed it was because of that work not that list of meh that was posted.

That makes sense of course. SAGA did open for RUSH on some dates on the Permanent Waves Tour.

Also at the time, Neil Peart was probably friends with SAGA drummer Steve Negus.

However as Rupert Hine states in the podcast, Peart told him that the Immunity album was played as 'house music' before RUSH concerts.

World's Apart by SAGA that Hine produced was released in September 1981. Immunity was released the same year, but doesn't specify the month or day. I'll assume it was released in the early part of 1981.

Immunity also features Phil Collins on drums. The album reminds me of Peter Gabriel 3: "Melt" (1980), which also features Collins drumming.

Both albums have this 'dark electronic weirdness' in both the music and lyrics.

Despite the SAGA/RUSH connection, Hine declined to work with Geddy, Alex, and Neil at the time.

I personally discovered Immunity years ago because of Peart, in much the same way I discovered Japan (the band) through Peart as well.

SAGA vocalist Michael Sadler discusses working with Hine in the following clips for 'On The Loose' and 'Wind Him Up' below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCUyM4OBP2w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPESEBmTbU0

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 1

That makes sense of course. SAGA did open for RUSH on some dates on the Permanent Waves Tour.

Also at the time, Neil Peart was probably friends with SAGA drummer Steve Negus.

However as Rupert Hine states in the podcast, Peart told him that the Immunity album was played as 'house music' before RUSH concerts.

World's Apart by SAGA that Hine produced was released in September 1981. Immunity was released the same year, but doesn't specify the month or day. I'll assume it was released in the early part of 1981.

Immunity also features Phil Collins on drums. The album reminds me of Peter Gabriel 3: "Melt" (1980), which also features Collins drumming.

Both albums have this 'dark electronic weirdness' in both the music and lyrics.

Despite the SAGA/RUSH connection, Hine declined to work with Geddy, Alex, and Neil at the time.

I personally discovered Immunity years ago because of Peart, in much the same way I discovered Japan (the band) through Peart as well.

SAGA vocalist Michael Sadler discusses working with Hine in the following clips for 'On The Loose' and 'Wind Him Up' below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCUyM4OBP2w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPESEBmTbU0

Didn't know Phil Collins played drums on Immunity. Interesting.