Rush/Rupert Hine connection of another sort

GeddyRulz

Let's hope he doesn't write about pina coladas and getting caught in the rain.....wait a minute...that's different Rupert. wacko.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Mar 11 2009, 04:50 PM)
QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Mar 11 2009, 05:46 PM)
Hine....how in the hell did he end up producing Rush?

Hines co-produced "Presto" and "Roll The Bones," two of the band's poppiest and lightest-sounding albums. Coincidence?

Hmmm....let's see. Here is a list of his producing credits for 2 albums before and after Presto & RTB (from Wikipedia):

Stevie Nicks - The Other Side of the Mirror (album) (1988)

Tina Turner - Foreign Affair (tracks) (1989)

Rush - Presto (album) (1989)

Thinkman - Hard Hat Zone (album) (1990)

Various Artists - One World One Voice (album) (1990)

The Fixx - Ink (tracks) (1990)

Bliss - A Change in the Weather (album) (1990)

Bob Geldof - The Vegetarians of Love (album) (1990)

Rush - Roll the Bones (album) (1991)

Remmy Ongala - Mambo (album) (1992)

Chris De Burgh - Power of Ten (album) (1992)

Yeah, that seems like a good fit for a power trio. cat.gif

• Like 1

Rupert is probably my least favorite of the producers they've used.

The songs on Presto are good, but Rupert's production took all the piss out of them. They're too blah, and they don't have to be.

Roll the Bones is mostly the band's fault, but again it's an unexciting album, IMO. It's neither up-to-par with the band's priors, nor does it achieve "relevance" in comparison with the other music of the day.

• Like 1

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Mar 11 2009, 08:19 PM)
Remember back in 1990 and everyone had Geldof's "Vegetarians of Love" album? That so kicked ass.

I guess I missed 1990 'cuz I don't have it.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Mar 11 2009, 06:04 PM)

The songs on Presto are good, but Rupert's production took all the piss out of them. They're too blah, and they don't have to be.

Roll the Bones is mostly the band's fault, but again it's an unexciting album, IMO. It's neither up-to-par with the band's priors, nor does it achieve "relevance" in comparison with the other music of the day.

You can't blame that all on Rupert, Alex and Geddy chose to play instruments (Wal basses and Signature guitars with little to no distortion) that didn't sound aggressive regardless of who was producing.

You also have to remember the time period...'89-92 wasn't a good time for loud aggressive sounding music, not counting the hair-metal dime a dozen bands.

The sound may be light and too poppy for some, but the lyrics, music and dynamics on Presto and RTB are better than most everything that came after.

QUOTE (Prince Sphinc-Tor @ Mar 11 2009, 08:43 PM)
QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Mar 11 2009, 08:19 PM)
Remember back in 1990 and everyone had Geldof's "Vegetarians of Love" album? That so kicked ass.

I guess I missed 1990 'cuz I don't have it.

Me neither. I'd never heard of it until I looked at the records Hine produced.

Hines co-produced "Presto" and "Roll The Bones," two of the band's poppiest and lightest-sounding albums. Coincidence?

nope , its just that all three suck................ hine and those albums

1022.gif

• Like 1

QUOTE (metaldad @ Mar 12 2009, 12:00 PM)

nope , its just that all three suck................ hine and those albums

1022.gif

If I could wave my magic wand, they would remix Presto.

• Like 1

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Mar 11 2009, 01:11 PM)
Hmm...that's interesting indeed. It most likely is a direct reference, as Neil is usually influenced by the things he observes and reads.

yes.gif

I'm particularly fond of the Pepsi-Cola and General Foods International Coffee influences. laugh.gif

QUOTE (jnoble @ Mar 11 2009, 09:07 PM)

The songs on Presto are good, but Rupert's production took all the piss out of them.  They're too blah, and they don't have to be.

Roll the Bones is mostly the band's fault, but again it's an unexciting album, IMO.  It's neither up-to-par with the band's priors, nor does it achieve "relevance" in comparison with the other music of the day.

You can't blame that all on Rupert, Alex and Geddy chose to play instruments (Wal basses and Signature guitars with little to no distortion) that didn't sound aggressive regardless of who was producing.

You also have to remember the time period...'89-92 wasn't a good time for loud aggressive sounding music, not counting the hair-metal dime a dozen bands.

The sound may be light and too poppy for some, but the lyrics, music and dynamics on Presto and RTB are better than most everything that came after.

I wouldn't blame it on the instruments. Geddy got a great bass sound from the Wal on both Powerwindows and HYF. Heck, HYF is probably his best bass album overall!

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Mar 12 2009, 02:45 PM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Mar 11 2009, 01:11 PM)
Hmm...that's interesting indeed. It most likely is a direct reference, as Neil is usually influenced by the things he observes and reads.

yes.gif

I'm particularly fond of the Pepsi-Cola and General Foods International Coffee influences. laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Yes, well thankfully he's not influenced by EVERYTHING he sees! tongue.gif

While they both contain moments of brilliance, I would say Presto & RTB were both a slight drop off in quality from previous works.

I think the band chose Rupert Hine based on his work with The Fixx (great band) whom the band liked.

As much as I don't think those records are great, I do like the fact that they at least sound different.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Mar 12 2009, 03:57 PM)

The songs on Presto are good, but Rupert's production took all the piss out of them.  They're too blah, and they don't have to be.

Roll the Bones is mostly the band's fault, but again it's an unexciting album, IMO.  It's neither up-to-par with the band's priors, nor does it achieve "relevance" in comparison with the other music of the day.

I wouldn't blame it on the instruments. Geddy got a great bass sound from the Wal on both Powerwindows and HYF. Heck, HYF is probably his best bass album overall!

I didn't mean his Wal basses sounded 'bad', I just meant that they didn't have an aggressive sound that he gets out of the Fenders and earlier, his Rick.

He said himself in a recent interview that Wal basses aren't good for recording rock music (meaning the more aggressive loud sound they went for starting with CP)

Even though they had no good bottom end, I've never heard a bass with more definition to it than his Wal...like on the ASOH video, you can clearly hear every individual note. Sometimes on the more recent material, his bass is so distorted sounding that it mixes in with the guitar and I can't make out the notes.

• Like 1

QUOTE (jnoble @ Mar 13 2009, 06:53 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Mar 12 2009, 03:57 PM)

I didn't mean his Wal basses sounded 'bad', I just meant that they didn't have an aggressive sound that he gets out of the Fenders and earlier, his Rick.

He said himself in a recent interview that Wal basses aren't good for recording rock music

Well, to go by what GEDDY has said, he has ALSO said that Rupert's production took the hard edge off the Presto songs... so we're back to my earlier post: "Rupert's production took all the piss out of" Presto. tongue.gif

Even though they had no good bottom end, I've never heard a bass with more definition to it than his Wal...like on the ASOH video, you can clearly hear every individual note.

I love the sound of his black Wal; yes, and I love the sound on the ASOH video. "No good bottom end"? Perhaps not, but the mids and highs are nice and trebly, as they are on a Rick, and I love that kind of "snap." Trebly like a Rick, but with "better definition" as you say.

Edited by GeddyRulz

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Mar 13 2009, 09:49 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Mar 13 2009, 09:39 PM)
... so we're back to my earlier post: "Rupert's production took all the piss out of" Prestotongue.gif

Too bad he didn't take all the shit out while he was at it.

laugh.gif pokey.gif

I don't know, I guess I'm kinder to the songs than you are. They're basically good songs, IMO... just not HARD-ROCK enough, a little too "blah" sounding.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Mar 13 2009, 09:55 PM)
... so we're back to my earlier post: "Rupert's production took all the piss out of" Prestotongue.gif

laugh.gif pokey.gif

I don't know, I guess I'm kinder to the songs than you are. They're basically good songs, IMO... just not HARD-ROCK enough, a little too "blah" sounding.

Blah sounding, basic good, non-rocking songs are not what Rush is about. Or wasn't when I was a kid!

old.gif

Like an angry monkey I will never stop flinging my feces at those two albums.

yes.gif outside of THE PASS, i think it's shit

1022.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Mar 17 2009, 07:09 PM)

yes.gif outside of THE PASS, i think it's shit

1022.gif

no Chain Lightning for metaldad?