The Big Bang Theory

VampireBiscuits

Sorry if a thread like this has already been posted but I was curious if anyone else here likes this show? I usually cant stand sitcoms but I love this one. Smart and funny, and Sheldon cracks me up- one of the best comedic characters on tv in a long time. After seeing a few episodes on tv I had to go out and buy the first season on dvd, I found it very addicting and refreshing.

For those of you who havnt seen it, it will be on tonight at 8pm, I think its on CBS.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My favorite show! The only night of television I MUST see. I immediately liked the show when it was a summer replacement two years ago, even though they kept re-playing the same six episodes. It quickly became my FAVORITE show, replacing lead-in How I Met Your Mother.

Yep, I've got the Season One DVD, too. Sheldon, in the words of a friend, is perhaps the best character on TV right now. But Wolowitz is up there, too!

For the uninitiated: four CalTech physics geeks have their life of Klingon Boggle games and inside jokes about the Born-Oppenheimer Effect turned upside-down when an attractive and socially-mobile girl from the midwest moves in across the hall. A typical exchange:

PENNY: I always say "When one door closes, another one opens."

SHELDON: No it doesn't. Not unless they're hooked-up by relays or there are motion sensors involved. Or if the closing of the first door creates a pressure system which acts upon the second door.

PENNY: Forget it.

Should appeal to Rush fans, who are also pseudo-geeky. tongue.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Mar 10 2009, 03:34 AM)
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My favorite show! The only night of television I MUST see. I immediately liked the show when it was a summer replacement two years ago, even though they kept re-playing the same six episodes. It quickly became my FAVORITE show, replacing lead-in How I Met Your Mother.

Yep, I've got the Season One DVD, too. Sheldon, in the words of a friend, is perhaps the best character on TV right now. But Wolowitz is up there, too!

For the uninitiated: four CalTech physics geeks have their life of Klingon Boggle games and inside jokes about the Born-Oppenheimer Effect turned upside-down when an attractive and socially-mobile girl from the midwest moves in across the hall. A typical exchange:

PENNY: I always say "When one door closes, another one opens."
SHELDON: No it doesn't. Not unless they're hooked-up by relays or there are motion sensors involved. Or if the closing of the first door creates a pressure system which acts upon the second door.
PENNY: Forget it.

Should appeal to Rush fans, who are also pseudo-geeky. tongue.gif

Haha awesome! Glad I'm not the only one! I adore Sheldon- I would kill to have a close friend/roommate like that. My husband has actually nicknamed me "Shelly" because I actually share many (if not most of) of Sheldons neurotic behaviors. I even dont drive like him, because of an intense phobia. So its fun to see a character on tv I can relate to.

What did you think of last nights episode? I love that show but I was actually a little disappointed, I felt it was one of their weaker episodes. It had its moments and even when its not a the top of its game (in my opinion) its still better than most of the stuff on tv.

QUOTE (VampireBiscuits @ Mar 10 2009, 03:11 PM)
What did you think of last nights episode? I love that show but I was actually a little disappointed, I felt it was one of their weaker episodes. It had its moments and even when its not a the top of its game (in my opinion) its still better than most of the stuff on tv.

Definitely not one of their better episodes; I was a little disappointed, too.

I think it was mostly an excuse to get the gang together with Summer Glau, who actually didn't have much to do. Sheldon's enthusiasm for antiquated railways seemed out-of-character, although a fear of flying would make sense. Pretty dull overall. When the best part was Sheldon trying to teach Penny how to open the Japanese lockbox, you know it was a bad episode. My favorite line last night came early, when Penny let Leonard borrow her small pink suitcase:

LEONARD: Thanks, Penny, this is perfect.

WALOWITZ: ... for carrying daffodils to your unicorn.

Edited by GeddyRulz

Count me as a big fan! This show gets Tivo'd every week and I love it. I agree that Sheldon is one of the funniest characters I've seen in a while. He cracks me up laugh.gif

Chuck Lorre is comedy gold.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Mar 10 2009, 01:44 PM)
QUOTE (VampireBiscuits @ Mar 10 2009, 03:11 PM)

Definitely not one of their better episodes; I was a little disappointed, too.

I think it was mostly an excuse to get the gang together with Summer Glau, who actually didn't have much to do. Sheldon's enthusiasm for antiquated railways seemed out-of-character, although a fear of flying would make sense. Pretty dull overall. When the best part was Sheldon trying to teach Penny how to open the Japanese lockbox, you know it was a bad episode. My favorite line last night came early, when Penny let Leonard borrow her small pink suitcase:

LEONARD: Thanks, Penny, this is perfect.

WALOWITZ: ... for carrying daffodils to your unicorn.

I thought the bit with Penny finding Sheldons box of letters from his "me-ma" addressed to "Moonpie" was pretty funny.

Leonard: "I dont know what you are doing but little bubbles are forming at the corners of Sheldon's mouth."

I thought I was one of the few that liked this show. I'm not a fan of the half hour comedy, and this is the only one I watch. Sheldon is a hoot!

Also glad to see that I'm not the only one to think the episode on the train was a little lame.

QUOTE (MCM @ Mar 10 2009, 10:23 PM)
I thought I was one of the few that liked this show.  I'm not a fan of the half hour comedy, and this is the only one I watch.  Sheldon is a hoot! 

Also glad to see that I'm not the only one to think the episode on the train was a little lame.

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I've found a few other people who also watch it; a couple co-workers. The ratings haven't been bad, so somebody's watching it. But I know what you mean; when I tell people I like this show, many haven't even heard of it, or they start reminiscing about how much they miss Friends. wacko.gif

WALOWITZ: What up, Science Bitchez?!

Edited by GeddyRulz

New episode tonight. I noticed CBS, when promoting tonight's prime time lineup, focused on BBT. They must really be behind the show, or it's doing well, or both. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Mar 16 2009, 06:44 AM)
New episode tonight. I noticed CBS, when promoting tonight's prime time lineup, focused on BBT. They must really be behind the show, or it's doing well, or both. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I'm looking forward to the new one- I havnt seen any promos but from the description it looks like its at least partly a Sheldon vs Penny episode and the last one they had like that was hilarious.

PENNY is f-n hot................ wub.gif

the show is cool also

1022.gif

QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ Mar 16 2009, 12:55 PM)
I can picture this Sheldon character wearin' thin on my nerves at some point.

no.gif

Just imagine him as an Earth-bound, 21st Century Mr. Spock.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Mar 16 2009, 01:43 PM)

no.gif

Haha thats funny, thats exactly who Sheldon reminds me of- just a little more arrogant than Spock ever was.

Opinions on this week's ep?

I thought it was better than last week, surely, but still a little weak. Have they run out of great material already?

Best thing was seeing Sheldon hyped-up on coffee. He said he's never been a coffee drinker, at least since moving to California, but I ask the rest of you: haven't we seen Sheldon drinking coffee before? I think I remember him holding a coffee mug once or twice in the past. And one thing I'm sure of: I've seen Leonard wake up, go to the kitchen, and pour himself a cup of coffee from an already brewed pot! Is it on an automatic timer, does Sheldon make it for Leonard but not drink it himself, or... was Sheldon a coffee drinker all along?? unsure.gif

QUOTE (VampireBiscuits @ Mar 16 2009, 04:32 PM)

no.gif

Haha thats funny, thats exactly who Sheldon reminds me of- just a little more arrogant than Spock ever was.

Aww, tell me he doesn't remind you much more of David Hyde Pierce in the role of Dr. Niles Crane on Frasier? To me, the similarity is uncanny. The same type of high-culture, smug, intellectualism. Take a gander at a few clips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0dsEr5A6B0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y9xGGD2bao&feature=related

QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ Mar 18 2009, 03:55 PM)
QUOTE (VampireBiscuits @ Mar 16 2009, 04:32 PM)

no.gif

Aww, tell me he doesn't remind you much more of David Hyde Pierce in the role of Dr. Niles Crane on Frasier? To me, the similarity is uncanny. The same type of high-culture, smug, intellectualism. Take a gander at a few clips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0dsEr5A6B0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y9xGGD2bao&feature=related

I really don't relate the two characters.

And Sheldon may be smug and intellectual, but "high culture"? no.gif He plays Halo, reads comic books, eats at Big Boy... shall I go on? Not very high culture, in my opinion.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Mar 18 2009, 07:47 PM)
And Sheldon may be smug and intellectual, but "high culture"? no.gif He plays Halo, reads comic books, eats at Big Boy... shall I go on? Not very high culture, in my opinion.

Ok, well, the comparison isn't 'exact', but there are some undeniable similarities between the characters, I think. Plus, both are pretty preposterous, no? Like, you wouldn't expect to bump into either of these guys in the real world.

QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ Mar 21 2009, 02:54 AM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Mar 16 2009, 01:08 PM)
PENNY is f-n hot................ wub.gif
the show is cool also
1022.gif

Penny's not exactly what most would define as HOT. For these clowns, an aggregate of easily-excitable man-boys who haven't yet sampled from the pleasuredome, yeah, she's smoking.

I disagree. I think she's the typical/societal idea of "hot." yes.gif

http://www.wallpaperbase.com/wallpapers/celebs/kaleycuoco/kaley_cuoco_10.jpg

And you've rushed to judgement on our beloved "man-boys." With the exception of Sheldon, we know they've ALL "sampled from the pleasuredome." We've seen all three of the other guys in bed with women.

Nah, she is cute. Got that little mischevious smirk thing going on. And, I'll let ya in on a little secret about the male gender. You show 'em a photo of a girl...and, then show 'em a photo of that same girl, now in a bikini, and his appreciation of that female will go up by a factor of 'n'. Where 'n' stands for 'exposed skin'. lol.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Mar 18 2009, 03:40 AM)
Opinions on this week's ep?

I thought it was better than last week, surely, but still a little weak. Have they run out of great material already?

Best thing was seeing Sheldon hyped-up on coffee. He said he's never been a coffee drinker, at least since moving to California, but I ask the rest of you: haven't we seen Sheldon drinking coffee before? I think I remember him holding a coffee mug once or twice in the past. And one thing I'm sure of: I've seen Leonard wake up, go to the kitchen, and pour himself a cup of coffee from an already brewed pot! Is it on an automatic timer, does Sheldon make it for Leonard but not drink it himself, or... was Sheldon a coffee drinker all along?? unsure.gif

I thought it was a little weak too. Better than the week before, but still. At least its gradually picking up. Hopefully tomorrows will be even better.

And I cant say I have paid that close attention to Sheldon's coffee (or lack of) habits. I'll have to keep an eye out though when I get the first season back from my sister. Though the idea of him avoiding coffee like that makes sense to me/fits with his character.

No episode tonight; a new episode of "Mother" followed by a "Mother" repeat. sad.gif

What do you suppose will be the season finale? What kind of big ending can they pull this season?? Will Penny get hot-and-heavy with one of the guys???