Tom Sawyer OB-X sweep?

Tarkus406

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Feb 13 2009, 08:24 PM)
Dont know anything about this, but while searching for stuff from your post I found this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frRx-AOZYvg

NEAT!

That was cool. Check out that dudes other vids! Like this one

My friend had a Juno-106 when it first came out back in the 80's and he was able to get the sound you are looking for with that...I think if you try you should be able to get the sound too.

Edited by Prince Sphinc-Tor

QUOTE (Prince Sphinc-Tor @ Feb 13 2009, 09:22 PM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Feb 13 2009, 08:24 PM)
Dont know anything about this, but while searching for stuff from your post I found this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frRx-AOZYvg

NEAT!

That was cool. Check out that dudes other vids!

My friend had a Juno-106 when it first came out back in the 80's and he was able to get the sound you are looking for with that...I think if you try you should be able to get the sound too.

WILD!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_K4t8xeVrI&feature=channel

Yes other vids neat.

I have seen pieces of this wonderful documentary about Mr. Moog, have you all seen that? Its fascinating!

Tark, just get a set of Taurus pedals (available on any street corner wink.gif )

They are amazing.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Feb 13 2009, 09:42 PM)
Keith Emerson at Moogfest

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6y1htz6jGE

Those old Moogs were INSANITY!!!!!

Check out this guys set up.

Not Emerson but he's got tons of stuff.

You can hear in that first video clip that the Moog sweep is quite different to the Oberheim one. I remember reading somewhere about why that is (something to do with the Oberheim filter being very different to everyone else's). I struggled for ages to program a Tom Sawyer sound on my Roland Fantom, but eventually gave up and sampled an Oberheim instead. Funnily enough, the closest I got with programming sounded pretty similar to the Taurus pedals in that clip.

The way I achieve the Diane Sawyer OB-X super sweep is with a VST plug-in known as the OP-X pro. I use it with my Roland PK-5 and Cubase on my racked PC. For all the older RUSH tunes I use this plug-in from the wind sounds in Xanadu/Cygnus to the creepy flanged phase-tone in Witch Hunt.

If you want to hear it in action check this out:

It has the decay and everything! I highly recommend it to all who want to play this song.

ph34r.gif

QUOTE (ChroniclesOfRush @ Feb 15 2009, 10:59 AM)
The way I achieve the Diane Sawyer OB-X super sweep is with a VST plug-in known as the OP-X pro. I use it with my Roland PK-5 and Cubase on my racked PC. For all the older RUSH tunes I use this plug-in from the wind sounds in Xanadu/Cygnus to the creepy flanged phase-tone in Witch Hunt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmUQHf3zwMI

It has the decay and everything! I highly recommend it to all who want to play this song.

ph34r.gif

Now you may have helped! I never thought about seeking a VST plugin. I could use it in Cakewalk Sonar through my Juno Stage probably. I'll give it a shot. Thanks! smile.gif

ph34r.gif

Now you may have helped! I never thought about seeking a VST plugin. I could use it in Cakewalk Sonar through my Juno Stage probably. I'll give it a shot. Thanks! smile.gif

Tell you what though - it's worth every penny. Best plug I have ever found for early RUSH stuff. I am not a huge fan of paying for software of any kind but after I heard it - it solved a lot of my problems. Just ask yourself is the time you will spend yanking your hair out trying to reproduce this sound worth $150.00? I think so....or you can just buy an original OB-X 8.

smash.gif

Good luck with all that.

YES! I worked it out. In Sonar there's a MIDI sample playback program called Cyclone. With that I'm able to trigger samples with a MIDI keyboard. I can't get the sound to be a patch on the keyboard but I can at least trigger it when I need to using a laptop and that software.

Now all I need is a really good sample and I'm good! smile.gif

ph34r.gif

the keyboards right on, but the guitar overpowers EVERYTHING. He needed to back off on the distortion and the volume.

QUOTE (ChroniclesOfRush @ Sep 6 2009, 09:06 AM)
QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Sep 5 2009, 02:33 PM)
Now all I need is a really good sample and I'm good! smile.gif

Let me get everything I own re-strung today and I will see what I can do. You want a .wav? How long? Etc.....

Yes, a WAV would be good, at about 11 seconds, I'd say. smile.gif

Thanks a lot, Chronicles! trink39.gif

QUOTE (Rendclaw @ Sep 6 2009, 11:55 AM)
the keyboards right on, but the guitar overpowers EVERYTHING. He needed to back off on the distortion and the volume.

Guy, that was like from our 2nd show ever. I have dialed things in considerably since then however two things never cease to amaze me playing over 20 shows with this band:

• How a "professional" sound guy can take 180 watts of pure tubed Boogie tone flowing from two full Marshall stacks and make it sound like it's being fired out of an aluminum can and,
  • how people always forget RUSH was a hard rock (metal of its day) act and still considers themselves just that.

I am a metal player who decided to take on the task of playing the music of the best band ever. Suffice it to say I like my RUSH with teeth.

Anywho, here is what you need good sir. I took the E and made it about 20 second and the rest 11 as asked:

E-B-A-G

Long live RUSH boys.

Here is something that was recorded via uStream(?) last weekend. I guess we were streaming for all the Internetting public to see. I think there is a pretty decent version of Freewill in there and a version of Lakeside Park I would like to have back. Being an old f**k + being recorded at 1:30AM + being an old f**k makes for some mental lapses from time to time. We've all been there right?

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/2073132

Dig it. We're having some fun.

common001.gif <---he is dancing to Freewill at this very moment. We all are...