Resist

yyz

QUOTE (Slim @ Feb 28 2005, 05:54 PM)
It's an MOR radio song really .. pleasant enough, but bland, and not very interesting. It's a throwaway, for me. Background music.

What are your thoughts on the RiR version?

Resist stood out in my mind from the first time I heard T4E. It is Neil at his best, putting things so simply that they are endlessly profound. Some of his greatest lyrics ever, I think.

The Different Stages live version was amazing, the way they expanded a simple song into a monster performance, and the current acoustic treatment is perfect. How did they decide to do this particular song acoustic?

Resist has become Rush's gentle truthful anthem for a new era.

cheer.gif 2.gif cheer.gif

Resist is one of the reasons i love Rush.

And i'll tell you why: they can take something like One Little Victory or 2112 and throw it in your face, but then they can back off and pull something off like Different Strings, or Manhatten Project, or Resist. It just adds to the complexity of their musicianship.

I liked the way they did it on the R30 tour, which was the same as RiR, but with Heart full of soul on the end of it.

(never seen this dude so i thought i'd add him laugh.gif) icon_alienjig.gif

Resist=Excellenece...No matter what version...But nothing beats the Different Stages version. For one thing, it has so much 'PUNCH' that's not on the studio version. Also, it was recorded in Toronto, which really makes you feel the Torontonian crowd! And the other.....I WAS THERE!!!!!!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

QUOTE (yyz @ Feb 28 2005, 04:57 PM)
QUOTE (Slim @ Feb 28 2005, 05:54 PM)
It's an MOR radio song really .. pleasant enough, but bland, and not very interesting. It's a throwaway, for me. Background music.

What are your thoughts on the RiR version?

I prefer it, but still don't like it a great deal. It's perfectly inoffensive, but doesn't do a lot for me.

I've always been fond of "Resist." I don't think there's anything else on T4E that I like better. Sure, it's a fairly simple song, but I love the feel of it. Those spacious, haunting melodic guitar lines really capture that bittersweet statement of long-suffering endurance and persistence in the lyrics.

For some reason, when I listen to this song, I always get a mental image of looking out the back of a train and watching the train tracks and landscape unwinding behind at high speed, almost like watching one's life experiences passing behind. Sue me, I'm a little strange, LOL. wink.gif

Great song, suited the RIR acoustic treatment, enjoyed it on R30 as well. The lyric is one of Neil's less obtuse efforts.

I wouldn't say it's my favourite on T4E (at present that honour actually goes to Totem, but usually it's Driven), but a solid addition to the Rush canon.

It was far more succesful as an acuostic song I think. Within the context of the lyrics it suits that stripped down beaten but still fighting attitude of the song.

In that way it is one of the favourites I listen out for in the concerts but I didn't ever feel for the studio version it seems to pompous and false, you can't quite get the same sencerity out of it as you do with just two guitars and a voice.

I love Resist....both versions....tho I'm a little biased towards the acoustic version due to the fact that I can play that version...It's one of my many favorite Rush songs new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

....tho I'm a little biased towards the acoustic version due to the fact that I can play that version

Lol aint it the truth biggrin.gif

I'm a bassist so it kinda doesn't help me alot lol

QUOTE (yyz @ Feb 28 2005, 04:46 PM)
One of my favorite songs. I am particularly a fan of the RiR version after Neil's solo. I love this song.

Yes it is beautiful yes.gif

QUOTE (Delilah @ Mar 1 2005, 06:36 PM)
QUOTE (yyz @ Feb 28 2005, 04:46 PM)
One of my favorite songs. I am particularly a fan of the RiR version after Neil's solo. I love this song.

Yes it is beautiful yes.gif

yes.gif

Archived