Pink Floyd

Tom Sawyer

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love Pink Floyd, but I'm embarrassed to admit I only know about 4 of their works. Dark Side, Wish You Were Here, The Wall, and Momentary Lapse of Reason.

Anything else Floydish I really need in my library?

Well, PF73, you know that Pink Floyd is my favourite band of all time. The reason Rush is number one with me is that they are still working.

I own all the albums by only a few artists (excluding anthologies). Those would be Pink Floyd, Rush, Live, Laurie Anderson and Seal.

I go way back with Pink Floyd. I've been listening to them since my brother bought Pipers at the Gates of Dawn in 1967, and I saw them in performance in 1972, before Dark Side of the Moon was released. I also saw their last tour in 1994. Just yesterday a friend at work told me he had just bought The Division Bell, and "Wow!" I expressed the opinion that that may be the greatest album of all time.

What do you think about The Division Bell?

cool10.gif

QUOTE (Schro @ Feb 28 2005, 01:11 PM)
I love Pink Floyd, but I'm embarrassed to admit I only know about 4 of their works. Dark Side, Wish You Were Here, The Wall, and Momentary Lapse of Reason.

'Animals'.

I have to play Devil's Advocate here and point out that Rush have stayed intact for 30 years, and without their mutual friendship and support of each other, an album as strong as Vapor Trails would not have happened.

In Floyd's case, since The Wall, the band's been fractured and just as The Final Cut was a Roger Waters solo album in all but name, I would contend that The Division Bell was equally a Gilmore solo album with minimal input from Wright and Mason.

Having said that, when Floyd were at their peak, they made some of the best music ever produced, and like many people, I hold a faint flicker of hope that Gilmore and Waters will work together again, and regain those heady heights of the seventies.

You have a good collection for just four albums. Agreed, Animals is great, and obviously I like The Division Bell. Pulse (live '94) is fantastic! It includes Dark Side live.

Older albums: Umma Gumma, Atom Heart Mother and Meddle.

After that you can get into the even older and more obscure albums. Like Rush, all Pink Floyd albums are great!

cheer.gif

QUOTE (ChainLightning @ Feb 28 2005, 01:42 PM)
I love Pink Floyd, but I'm embarrassed to admit I only know about 4 of their works.  Dark Side, Wish You Were Here, The Wall, and Momentary Lapse of Reason.

You have a good collection for just four albums. Agreed, Animals is great, and obviously I like The Division Bell. Pulse (live '94) is fantastic! It includes Dark Side live.

Older albums: Umma Gumma, Atom Heart Mother and Meddle.

After that you can get into the even older and more obscure albums. Like Rush, all Pink Floyd albums are great!

cheer.gif

Yep, The Division Bell is pretty awesome. Also get the live album Pulse on both CD and DVD/Vid, and play the end of the concert - Wish You Were Here...Comfortably Numb....Run Like Hell - play them LOUD - its farging fantastic man cool10.gif

and I still think 'Here Again' is very Floyd-ish

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Feb 28 2005, 10:41 AM)
I have to play Devil's Advocate here and point out that Rush have stayed intact for 30 years, and without their mutual friendship and support of each other, an album as strong as Vapor Trails would not have happened.

In Floyd's case, since The Wall, the band's been fractured and just as The Final Cut was a Roger Waters solo album in all but name, I would contend that The Division Bell was equally a Gilmore solo album with minimal input from Wright and Mason.

Having said that, when Floyd were at their peak, they made some of the best music ever produced, and like many people, I hold a faint flicker of hope that Gilmore and Waters will work together again, and regain those heady heights of the seventies.

I love Pink Floyd, but I'm embarrassed to admit I only know about 4 of their works.  Dark Side, Wish You Were Here, The Wall, and Momentary Lapse of Reason.

For many years I only had DSotM and The Wall.

madra, I agree with you, but I also look at the history of Floyd, the Syd replacement, honestly what choice did they have. As for Waters, I respect him for leaving, I think he had his reasons, but the show must go on attitute Gilmour had, was the right thing do.

But hearing them live, is incredible, I highly recommend P.U.L.S.E

user posted image

QUOTE (ChainLightning @ Feb 28 2005, 01:14 PM)
Well, PF73, you know that Pink Floyd is my favourite band of all time. The reason Rush is number one with me is that they are still working.

I own all the albums by only a few artists (excluding anthologies). Those would be Pink Floyd, Rush, Live, Laurie Anderson and Seal.

I go way back with Pink Floyd. I've been listening to them since my brother bought Pipers at the Gates of Dawn in 1967, and I saw them in performance in 1972, before Dark Side of the Moon was released. I also saw their last tour in 1994. Just yesterday a friend at work told me he had just bought The Division Bell, and "Wow!" I expressed the opinion that that may be the greatest album of all time.

What do you think about The Division Bell?

cool10.gif

HUGE fan of The Division Bell, here. HUGE. trink39.gif I would count it as amongst their greatest.

As you can see from those pics down there \/ I like Floyd, specifically Dave Gilmour. I have every album...and DSOTM is the classic, of course, WYWH has "Shine On..." which to me is the quintessential Floyd song...

I'd recommend buying Meddle...it's fascinating to listen to this, realizing it was the precursor to Dark Side. Sit back and experience "Echoes": at once dreamy, groovy, beautiful vocal harmonies...

I'm lucky enough to have seen Floyd (minus Rog) in 1994...an incredible, unforgettable experience. smile.gif

EDIT: to say that I like the post-Waters albums, too...MLOR and Division Bell are great, absolutely. smile.gif

QUOTE (ChainLightning @ Feb 28 2005, 02:42 PM)
The most amazing concert I ever saw was The Division Bell (Pulse) in '94, hands down! common001.gif

I saw that show as well, at Giants Stadium in New Jersey - and own Pulse as a result. I think the show was incredible and is one of the best live productions I've ever seen. But I've seen Rush, and just have to give them the trophy. Just my own opinion.

The Floyd concert was some show though -- WOW.

I also am a HUGE fan of MLOR. That and DB are two of the best CDs in my 600+ collection - which is large to some and tiny to others.

MLOR is the term I use when flabbergasted people ask me what he hell I was thinking in dating this certain lunatic from my past. laugh.gif

They are awesome IMO!

I'm 18 and it's my dad who got me into the ol' Floyd he is a major fan and they are his favourite band.

I did prefer it when Waters was around. I'm not so much a fan of the Barret period but it wasnt bad. MLOR is not to my taste but Db is awesome.

Their best song in my opinion is Sheep (awesomely powerful and an important, if outragously cynical, message.) The achievement as a whole is the Wall though. I have seen boots of the show and it really is a huge achievement and the film is awesome (love Gerald Scarfe's cartoons.)

Like them as much as Rush.

The two best bands ever.

QUOTE (ChainLightning @ Feb 28 2005, 11:42 AM)
The most amazing concert I ever saw was The Division Bell (Pulse) in '94, hands down! common001.gif

..and sir, it should be out this summer (The DVD)....I'm currently camped-out at the Pink Floyd rumour mill, watching, waiting, reading, watching some more, waiting some more...

boarder.gif <<< I like this guy, outta be some Beach Boys music to go with him!

I saw them in '89 in London on the Momentary Lapse of Reason Tour, and visually, it was probably the most amazing concert I've been to. That plane crashing into the stage was just incredible, and as I was in the upper tier to the right of the stage, I got the headlights from the pig's eyes straight into mine during One Of These Days.

GhostGirl beat me to recommending Meddle. Echoes is the icing on the cake, but I think Fearless is one of the unrecognised Floyd classics.

I'm afraid I can't join the growing concensus about the Division Bell- I think the key to Floyd's brilliance was the working relationship between Waters and Gilmore, and without that chemistry (volatility and all), I don't think Division Bell matches earlier work.

QUOTE (Schro @ Feb 28 2005, 10:11 AM)

Like Jack said, Animals. It is by far my favorite piece of PF work. I would also recommend Water's solo album, "Amused to Death", in my opinion it is better then a lot of the PF material he did.

Amused to Death is cool but it still sounds like it is missing something. Jeff Beck does a confident job but it just doesn't seem to have that chemistery that they did with Gilmour.

I actually think Late Home Tonight 1-2 are the best tracks, Waters really outdid himself there and without Guitar.

Between Meddle and The Wall nothing could touch Floyd, I mean they were on fire musically and holy shit they must have been rich lol.

Oh and ta muchly ChainLightning, good to know someone appreciates my opinion lol wub.gif (kidding lol)

Pink Floyd Live At Pompeii is now available on DVD. I prefer the original over the director's cut. It really is one of the most amazing performance films of all time, and is about the same set list as the concert I saw in 1972.

a momentary lapse of reason was the greatest post-waters tour. i sat in east BF at foxboro stadium for that one but won't forget as i headed to my seat the beginning of shine on you crazy diamond. that was enought right there to make all other bands absolete. no one could touch floyd that year.

the division bell your was a big dissapointment imo because it was almost a repeat of AMLOR. save for the incredible opener and my friend freaking out, i really thought that show would be soemthing different. reminds me of a couple rush tours ph34r.gif i think we were all taken aback by the skinny version of gilmour, too

division bell really echos of the past and i like alot of it but it didn't have the freaky feel that AMLOR had imo

some of the most exciting parts of life are tied to floyd: an all-night make-out session to animals with this one girl...trying to get the nerve to go to this one girl's house to ask her out and playing the wall in my walkman, etc

Animals has always been my favorite Floyd album followed closely by The Wall,Wish you Were Here, and Division Bell. As someone said earlier, Floyd rocks, has great lyrics, and especially the albums I mentioned, takes you on an emotional journey with the ebb and flow of those works....even absent the lyrics..the music is so good! And what great music to just chill, crank it up, turn out the lights and cool10.gif if you have em'!

It's my opinion that Pulse, Different Stages, and of course, now Rush in Rio represent some of the BEST live recordings ever issued!

2.gif ROCKS !!

P.S. - Has everybody tried the Dark side of the Moon / Wizard of Oz thing?

Kinda freaky, huh?

Archived