American Idol

PanaceaFish

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't watch it, but I relished in seeing scenes of folks who actually thought they were talented get squashed by the judges. 1022.gif

I personally like the show. It is refreshing to see talented people win competitions. There is so much useless crap out there - I guess I just like to see a show where the public decides who wins rather than some big-money executive promoting someone.

QUOTE (Cowtothesky @ Jan 29 2009, 10:00 PM)
I personally like the show. It is refreshing to see talented people win competitions. There is so much useless crap out there - I guess I just like to see a show where the public decides who wins rather than some big-money executive promoting someone.

Yeah, I hear that...But sometimes, the public don't know talent if it bit em in the butt...A good example was last season's AI when that little punk ass Archuletta kept getting voted for (when there were far more talented peeps competeing along with him), cos you know that it's those tween girls who think he's hot shite, but man, I couldn't stand him! 062802puke_prv.gif

And funnily enough, he only made second place, lol...

QUOTE (PanaceaFish @ Jan 29 2009, 10:07 PM)
QUOTE (Cowtothesky @ Jan 29 2009, 10:00 PM)

Yeah, I hear that...But sometimes, the public don't know talent if it bit em in the butt...A good example was last season's AI when that little punk ass Archuletta kept getting voted for (when there were far more talented peeps competeing along with him), cos you know that it's those tween girls who think he's hot shite, but man, I couldn't stand him! 062802puke_prv.gif

And funnily enough, he only made second place, lol...

Yea, I didn't like Archuleta either. But, it was sooooo gratifying to see this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZKwfmoRvoY

1022.gif

I finally saw some previous episodes of this via satellite, and it follows a similar format to the original UK version.

However, the judges in the American version are much more annoying with their stupid high-fiving, whooping, and OTT reactions than on the UK one.

You can see Cowell visibly cringing sometimes biggrin.gif

Ah, I used to watch it pretty religiously, but have lost interest in the last 2-3 seasons. I like it purely as a reality show where I care about some of the contestants, but the music generally doesn't do much for me. I can appreciate and even be sometimes moved by people's talent, but it's not like I'll ever go out and buy an album by anyone on the show.

I also kind of get annoyed sometimes by the whole packaged music thing - that a person has to have this wild X factor of looks and personality to go along with their talent or they won't be successful, and then all their songs get written for them and it's more a manufactured product than music I could ever really care about. I guess I figured that so much of the music industry has been like this for so long now that a show like this wasn't going to do any real damage which is why I'm able to watch it. I'm almost tempted to think a show like this would kill the music industry, but it was kind of already dead years before this show started. ALL IMHO!

All that said though, it's still a fun show, even though I don't indulge as I used to...

Whether you watch this show here and there, or you're an AI junkie, like me, the Hollywood rounds are always the funny ones, with all it's drama and such, especially when the contestants get into groups to perform for the judges and there's usually one person that starts it all..heheheh... laugh.gif

I watch it every once in a while. My wife watches it every time it's on.

It was fun watching AI last year because I knew one of the Hollywood-bound singers - Drew Poppelreiter, the farm boy who would sing while riding in his tractor. The field where AI filmed Drew's breakout segment (shown before his audition) is five miles from my home.

This year, my wife and I are pulling for Jasmine Murray, the 16-year-old girl from the city where our fellow TRF'er Skyswing lives - Starkville, Mississippi. I've seen her perform at a beauty pageant, and she is one talented person.

I liked to watch the bad auditions when the show first came out, and even that was tough to sit down to, but after a couple of seasons I lost interest.

I did, however, happen to catch one of the audition episodes a couple of weeks ago, and the show, IMO, is worse than ever...although Simon is still OK...but just OK.

I was quite an opponent of the show when it first came out, but finally started coming around to it in the last few seasons. It has its moments, where it's quite good.

Some really talented folk have come out of it, Carrie Underwood and Daughtry especially. But then again... they've had a few BOMBS with Taylor Hicks and Ruben Studdard.

I hate Randy and the new chick. Simon really needs to put them both in their place. HOW does a REPLACEMENT bass player for Journey get this level of success??? Sad.

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Feb 8 2009, 08:59 AM)
I was quite an opponent of the show when it first came out, but finally started coming around to it in the last few seasons. It has its moments, where it's quite good.

Some really talented folk have come out of it, Carrie Underwood and Daughtry especially. But then again... they've had a few BOMBS with Taylor Hicks and Ruben Studdard.

I hate Randy and the new chick. Simon really needs to put them both in their place. HOW does a REPLACEMENT bass player for Journey get this level of success??? Sad.

At least Rubin can sing, even if he has zero presence. Taylor Hicks is the worst ! This show should have been cancelled after he won ! 062802puke_prv.gif

Ok, on to my main point. Are these judges really seeking the best tallent in the early stages, or just the people who will provide the best ratings as the season progresses ? I think its the later, because if its not, they SUCK ASS as judges. I was watching Hollywood week (which always blows bigtime !) and they let some pretty good tallent go home, while letting some of there interest stories continue forward. Its insulting to anyone watching who has a clue. They let that homo from Connecticut continue. (Norman Gentle) This clown was all about making a joke out of Idol. Its obvious thats what he was there for. He knew he sucked, so he was relying on gimmicks and comedy to get attention. To his suprise, the idiot is still standing. eyesre4.gif

To me, this show lost its luster (and credibility) along time ago, but my daught Bri is obsessed with it, so we watch it together as a family every week.

If these clown judges would keep it real, the show would be better, but right now, its all about finding ways to keep people watching, and keeping there empire from crumbling.

I don't watch it anymore, and I only watched a couple of series, not in full, after I was taken in by one of the contestants a couple of seasons ago - Melinda Doolittle. I so wanted the girl to win. She was as talented as anyone else in the show, but she had more charisma than all of them put together. AI is not my kind of music at all generally and whenever I watch I only watch for the competition. But I really loved to see that girl perform. Was very disappointed when she came third.

I also remember watching the Taylor Hicks series - in one of the episodes they were mentored by Brian May and Roger Taylor - I couldn't miss THAT! Daughtry was the best hands down. And that was when I lost all respect for Cowell when he revealed that he is an ignorant arsehole saying that Queen "probably nener played Innuendo live cos it's that good a song". What??? It's ok if he doesn't like the song, I can understand that Baby One More Time is more to his exquisite taste, but it seems the fact that Freddie Mercury was on his deathbed when the song first came out brobably had nothing to do with it not being ever played live.... angry.gif

I'll add this about AI ...

It seems the show is now emphasizing the star power of the judges (Simon, in particular) and Ryan Seacrest than finding that next great American pop music star. The singers are becoming secondary.

This is similar to what older sports fans like myself saw on Monday Night Football. The announcing team of Howard Cosell, Frank Gifford and Don Meredith stole the show from the teams playing.

I have to agree about Melinda Doolittle's talent. She was among the best that season, if not THE best, and best of all was she didn't know it; she was so humble and self-effacing. No big ego. I think she got bumped because of her weight and her shyness. She went largely unnoticed and under the radar.

Taylor Hicks? He was "okay" but certainly not worthy of that season's win. I had a co-worker, however, who was behind him from the very beginning of the season. She picked correctly. That was the first season I picked with my smaller head, and rooted for Melissa McGhee. The following season, I had the hots for Haley Scarnato.

http://z.about.com/d/realitytv/1/0/8/c/MelisssaMcGhee1.jpghttp://bp3.blogger.com/_Nb8DOoLyFwk/R-2ggfG7iLI/AAAAAAAAFs0/eyoIWXBm6Yw/s400/haley+scarnato.jpg

Melissa McGhee, left; Haley Scarnato, right.

Edited by GeddyRulz

BRING THIS GUY BACK!!!!

http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u351/Discipleoflerxst/sanjaya_malakar.jpg

AND VOTE FOR HIM!!!!

QUOTE (PanaceaFish @ Jan 29 2009, 04:51 PM)
Am I the only one who actually likes this show, or are there others who share in my affliction??

I watch Every show, Every year !

I don't watch it anymore since the aging Sheila E. voted my band off during Fox's Next Great American Band Lake Las Vegas auditions because her frail ears couldn't handle the noise. Kinda put a bad taste in my mouth for "reality" shows. eyesre4.gif

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Feb 8 2009, 05:02 PM)
I don't watch it anymore since the aging Sheila E. voted my band off during Fox's Next Great American Band Lake Las Vegas auditions because her frail ears couldn't handle the noise. Kinda put a bad taste in my mouth for "reality" shows. eyesre4.gif

That show was on ABC, was it not ?