does alex tune down for 2112?

Im gonna be playing 2112: Overture for my school talent show, and I read somewhere (maybe on these forums) that alex tunes down for 2112 on the Rio tour...if this is true, how far does he tune down? Eb or D tuning? or something else? thanks for the help biggrin.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Feb 26 2005, 03:26 PM)
He and Geddy tune down to D. All the strings, not just the low E string. So, low to high, it's: D-G-C-F-A-D

alright, thanks. the song is played in the same positions as in the studio version, right?

QUOTE (between sun and moon @ Feb 26 2005, 04:07 PM)
Im gonna be playing 2112: Overture for my school talent show, and I read somewhere (maybe on these forums) that alex tunes down for 2112 on the Rio tour...if this is true, how far does he tune down? Eb or D tuning? or something else? thanks for the help biggrin.gif

That is fricken awesome that your playing that. good luck man!

QUOTE (between sun and moon @ Feb 26 2005, 11:46 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Feb 26 2005, 03:26 PM)
He and Geddy tune down to D. All the strings, not just the low E string. So, low to high, it's: D-G-C-F-A-D

alright, thanks. the song is played in the same positions as in the studio version, right?

yes. play everything as you would normally. The reason they tune down is because Ged can't hit the high notes in Syrinx as well as he used to, so if all you guys are playing is the Overture, you don't really need to tune down unless you want to exactly match the sound they have had the past few tours.

Good luck!

QUOTE (yyz @ Feb 27 2005, 12:34 PM)
QUOTE (between sun and moon @ Feb 26 2005, 04:07 PM)
Im gonna be playing 2112: Overture for my school talent show, and I read somewhere (maybe on these forums) that alex tunes down for 2112 on the Rio tour...if this is true, how far does he tune down? Eb or D tuning? or something else? thanks for the help  biggrin.gif

That is fricken awesome that your playing that. good luck man!

thanks, i recently found a drummer and a rhythm guitarist...no bassist, but i figure it'll sound ok. (i hope) the rhythm guitarist still hasnt learned the song and tryouts are friday...but hopefully he'll learn it by then tongue.gif

alex lifeson tunes down to D on resist and test for echo too..is that for the same reason?

QUOTE (between sun and moon @ Mar 8 2005, 06:42 PM)
alex lifeson tunes down to D on resist and test for echo too..is that for the same reason?

As for those songs, I can't say for certain, but it could be.

QUOTE (between sun and moon @ Mar 8 2005, 06:42 PM)

It may be because he just thinks it sounds cool. I tune down to drop D quite often myself because I like the way it sounds. I have some songs that I wrote and I tuned the guitar to a weird chord, the stuff I play is something that I never heard anything like it before. The only way to play it is to tune like that. It's pretty cool to experiment like that, especially after you have been playing in 440 tuning for 25 or more years. It's hard telling what you will come up with.

Geddys voice may have something to do with how Alex tunes on Test for Echo, I don't know. But that CD really isn't that old so he probably knows which keys he can sing in, he may have to drop to hit the notes, I'm not sure. I know there's some older Rush songs that Geddy can't sing anymore even if they did drop down a little. At Jones Beach last summer when Geddy was singing 2112, his voice went completely out at the end of the tune when he was singing "WE ARE THE PRIESTS OF THE TEMPLE OF SYRINX, ALL THE GIFTS OF LIFE ARE HELD WITHIN OUR HALLS" ...his lips were moving but nothing was coming out and he looked over to Alex and said, "I can't do it"....After seeing them 20 times that's the first time I seen that happen. I'm not complaining, I know how hard it probably is to sing that song. I still like to hear it live, if for nothing else but for the music. I'm just glad they still play music and tour so that we can watch them jam out. I can't wait until next tour!!!!!

Edited by Indica

QUOTE (Indica @ Mar 9 2005, 12:08 AM)

...I know there's some older Rush songs that Geddy can't sing anymore even if they did drop down a little...I know how hard it probably is to sing that song (2112)...

You're not gonna hear the real mccoy play the Archives material ever again. Geddy's higher range - like Plant's - is blown out.

From here on, the only way you're ever gonna hear pre-1977 Rush blasting from a stage is courtesy of tribute bands, and not a lot of 'em play that material. Most that do also tend to compromise on original key...

I personally love performing material from the first 4 albums. People often ask after shows how I can reach the early material in its original key. Simple: I don't have to do it night after night for months on end...

Geddy was simpy amazing back in the early days, but time coupled with constant wear of that magnitude catches up to everyone eventually...regardless, what makes Geddy's legacy so great is that he set the bar so high. It's a lot of fun faithfully reproducing the vocal part of that legacy onstage.

653.gif

AM Rush

QUOTE (amrush @ Mar 9 2005, 04:53 AM)

...I know there's some older Rush songs that Geddy can't sing anymore even if they did drop down a little...I know how hard it probably is to sing that song (2112)...

You're not gonna hear the real mccoy play the Archives material ever again. Geddy's higher range - like Plant's - is blown out.

I personally love performing material from the first 4 albums. People often ask after shows how I can reach the early material in its original key. Simple: I don't have to do it night after night for months on end...

AM Rush

Hey man, if your voice ever starts getting shot, there's a sale on vice grips at Sears right now. laugh.gif

Edited by Indica

QUOTE (Indica @ Mar 9 2005, 06:27 AM)
QUOTE (amrush @ Mar 9 2005, 04:53 AM)

AM Rush

Hey man, if your voice ever starts getting shot, there's a sale on vice grips at Sears right now. laugh.gif

Yes, I've been asked that too - especially after Cygnus

wink.gif

AM Rush

Guest Quigley_Moog
I always play 2112 in standard. It never crossed my mind that they used a different tuning for that song.