The Story of Kings

Inthend

cool10.gif Add to this story as you wish. Don't kill off characters unless they're

your own.

Once in a little part of a little forest in a place known as Foxhollow, there was a young owl. His name was Moonrise. Moonrise was like most owls his age. He was somewhat demanding when it came to getting his fair share of attention, a little overconfident in his ever increasing abilities, and continuously pushing the bounds of his independence.

One late evening as sunlight danced through the leaves and the soft wind stirred the sighing trees, Moonrise thought to himself, "You know I've been in this nest for as long as I can remember. I can fly. I can hunt. I bet I could even build my own nest. I don't care what mom and dad think. I think I'm ready to be on my own. I think I'll take a little test run tonight on my own... see how I do... if everything goes the way I plan, I'll be telling mom and pops adios by the end of the week.

Later that night...

Moonrise knew his parents wouldn't be back for a couple of hours and his brother and sister were down in the creek bed that ran by their tree about 50 ft. away hunting for lame crawfish. The creek was as far as they were suppose to go without mom or dad. "But I'll go quite abit farther than that tonight" Moonrise said to himself with a slightly crooked grin. And with that he was off. "My wings are getting strong" Moonrise thought as he zipped past a familiar tree. "These woods never change, it's time for me to see some new places" he said as he entered the small clearing his pop had brought him to a couple of days ago. "This is the farthest I've ever been and one day I'll fly by night away from here."

confused13.gif Okay, help me out.

Moonrise was excited for his achievement, and he wishes he could go farther. What an amazing world there must be out there to explore! He had never been outside of Foxhollow, his parents had built a stable nest for themselves and had settled down. Sure, the forest contained everything an owl needed for his body.... but Moonrise's soul ached for more.

Knowing he couldn't do anything about it yet, as he still needed more practice with his ever-developing wings, he glided back to his nest with dreams of flight and fancy still fresh in his mind. When he got back to his nest, though, his dad was waiting for him, his sage-like eyes looking into Moonrise's for an answer as to why he had gone out that evening....

This is a REALLY great thread idea, I love it.

smile.gif Thanks Fray for lending a hand. 1 for 20. It's a start. Give me some magic. I know you can. It's just a matter of will. lips.gif

"Presto, it's time you learned something new" her father stated in his matter of fact but with a twist sort of way. "Your mother will take you out tonight and teach you the art of moving in silence."

"Ooooh, daddy, why tonight! I was going with my friends to see the abandoned cabin."

"I sorry sweetheart, I'm taking Moonrise and your younger brother with me to the bell tower for something they need to learn. Tonight is the perfert night for what your mother is going to show you. It's very important that you learn this."

"Well it figures. The guys get to go into the city and the women get stuck in this boring forest learning how to be quiet! What, have I been making to much noise? It's no wonder in this hollow tree. Why can't we live in a structure like most owls?"

Presto's dad took a deep but subtle breath and said, "Presto, if I could wave my magic wand and make everything they way you want it, I probably would. I sometimes think I love you too much. And no, hearing you around our nest is never a displeasure to me. Try to understand, everything has a purpose. I'm sorry you had plans, but it has to be tonight...

wink.gif

It's a clear night. There's a half moon overhead. Summer's going fast- the night's are growing colder. There is very little wind. Presto and her mother sit together perched on the limb of a old oak tree...

"You're very quiet tonight Presto. Is there anything bothering you?"

"No." Presto replied.

"I see. You know Presto, you're a very talented young lady. You always seem to be able to pull a rabbit out of your hat just when you need it."

"What on earth are you talking about mother?" Presto asked breaking her vow of silence of no more than one or two word replies since the discussion with her father earlier that day.

"For instance, the other day when you had most of night to locate three different types of prey, you waited till the Star of Instinct was nearly out of view before trying to fulfill the task. Your father and I thought you had waited too long to find three, but sure enough, you called out once, twice, and right before the star went out of view you found a snake crawling out of the darkess. We were impressed."

"You spied on me all night! I can't believe you don't trust me more than that!

I have no privacy; I have no space; I have no freedom; I hardly have any friends, I wish I was a blade of grass, then my life would make sense!" retorted Presto before 2.gif ing away to another branch further up the tree.

"Presto, we do trust you." her mother said after gently lighting down beside her.

Leaning over to Presto's ear, her mother wispered platonically "We just needed to see how good you've got." She continued, "You have good instincts Presto. As you are rapidly coming to understand, there's a bigger world out there. It's bigger than you think. Those instincts will serve you well. Instincts are feelings that we get to help us find the things we are looking for that can't be seen or heard. You shouldn't let those good instincts take the place of proper planning. The seasons tell us that we only have a certain amount of time. Eventually we must rest. Make the best of your time. Plan to put those good instincts to good use. Your a wonderful daughter. I hope you will always feel free to tell me and your father how you feel." Then her mother, Journey, said with a wink and in a soft whimzical tone, "We would never want to silence a desperate voice."

Presto smiled sheepishly and said, "Thanks mom. I'm sorry for getting mad. I really don't think life's so terrible. I guess I've just been focusing on everything I want and not at all on what I have. I'm glad I have you as a mother. I'm glad we can talk."

"I'm glad we can too." Journey replied.

" I WAS pretty quick the other night, wasn't I? To tell the truth, I was getting a little worried about the time myself. I was headed back to the nest when I heard the snake moving. Still, it was a good find." Presto said.

"You know why the snake was moving?" asked Journey. "Because he heard you flying. He was fast making his escape. Snakes are hard to find. They're even harder to catch. Your wings are designed for stealth, but you must use them properly to surprise wary prey. Would you like a chance to catch a snake?" proposed Journey.

"I'd give it a try. Know where one is off talon?" Presto said jokingly.

"Well as a matter of fact I do. You haven't noticed but there's one down by that large stone by the pine tree about fifteen wing beats to our left." Journey said.

"How did you see him?" Presto wispered in amazment.

"Well that's a lesson for another night. Tonight worry about him not seeing you.

The sky is clear and the moon is half full, but that favors you actually. Snakes eyes aren't the best at seeing, but they can taste things in a different light...

bolt.gif

Archived