choice on drums?

PhilsFriendMatt

Alright so I've done a little searching and I found a guy in my area selling a used dw set for $1250. 20 in kick 10 12 14 16 in toms and the floor toms are mounted not on legs. It also comes with a yamaha steel picolo snare. Looks like a pretty good deal he gave me his number I may take a ride out and check them out this week. I could see no better way to spend my tax return personally. But still man I am in love with the gretsch maple renown kit at my local gc. Im so torn fists crying.gif

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (PhilsFriendMatt @ Jan 24 2009, 01:54 PM)
Alright so I've done a little searching and I found a guy in my area selling a used dw set for $1250. 20 in kick 10 12 14 16 in toms and the floor toms are mounted not on legs. It also comes with a yamaha steel picolo snare. Looks like a pretty good deal he gave me his number I may take a ride out and check them out this week. I could see no better way to spend my tax return personally. But still man I am in love with the gretsch maple renown kit at my local gc. Im so torn fists crying.gif

As long as they're not beat up too much and it's a REAL DW, not PDP, TAKE THE DEAL!!!!

That is a great price for a 5 piece DW. Most fall in the $1800 range for a 4 piece. Then, he throws in a snare....albeit, not a DW but that's OK. You can work on getting a better snare later wink.gif

QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Jan 26 2009, 12:39 PM)
Alright so I've done a little searching and I found a guy in my area selling a used dw set for $1250. 20 in kick 10 12 14 16 in toms  and the floor toms are mounted not on legs. It also comes with a yamaha steel picolo snare. Looks like a pretty good deal he gave me his number I may take a ride out and check them out this week. I could see no better way to spend my tax return personally. But still man I am in love with the gretsch maple renown kit at my local gc. Im so torn  fists crying.gif

As long as they're not beat up too much and it's a REAL DW, not PDP, TAKE THE DEAL!!!!

That is a great price for a 5 piece DW. Most fall in the $1800 range for a 4 piece. Then, he throws in a snare....albeit, not a DW but that's OK. You can work on getting a better snare later wink.gif

yeah, Der is right. I've never seen a used dw kit that cheap. For god's sake take Der's advice and MAKE SURE IT'S NOT A PACIFIC. YOU CAN GET A NEW ONE FOR HALF THAT. Do your homework on how to tell a DW from a pacific. It might be hard. They are both made of the exact same shell wood. I think the hardware might be different though. DON'T get the Gretsch if you can get the DW! You'll kick yourself in the arse later if you do...

Sidenote: The truth about DW vs. Pacific: DW opened up a manufacturing facility in Mexico a few years back, in order to open their drums up to a wider market. The truck driver who delivers the wood to California stops and puts half his load onto another truck that goes to Mexico. It's the same exact maple and birchwood peeps. DW are made to order and are like a custom shop with higher labor and production costs. Obviously, the labor rate in Mexico is dirt cheap, and the machines are more efficient since they are doing larger production runs. A lot of people think Pacific uses a different grade of wood. Only the outer ply used for a natural wood finish is a better grade, but that really doesn't affect the sound much. That's just a perception people have based on the cost difference. wink.gif

Edited by the masked drummer

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Feb 4 2009, 10:28 AM)
QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Jan 26 2009, 12:39 PM)
Alright so I've done a little searching and I found a guy in my area selling a used dw set for $1250. 20 in kick 10 12 14 16 in toms  and the floor toms are mounted not on legs. It also comes with a yamaha steel picolo snare. Looks like a pretty good deal he gave me his number I may take a ride out and check them out this week. I could see no better way to spend my tax return personally. But still man I am in love with the gretsch maple renown kit at my local gc. Im so torn  fists crying.gif

yeah, Der is right. I've never seen a used dw kit that cheap. For god's sake take Der's advice and MAKE SURE IT'S NOT A PACIFIC. YOU CAN GET A NEW ONE FOR HALF THAT. Do your homework on how to tell a DW from a pacific. It might be hard. They are both made of the exact same shell wood. I think the hardware might be different though. DON'T get the Gretsch if you can get the DW! You'll kick yourself in the arse later if you do...

Sidenote: The truth about DW vs. Pacific: DW opened up a manufacturing facility in Mexico a few years back, in order to open their drums up to a wider market. The truck driver who delivers the wood to California stops and puts half his load onto another truck that goes to Mexico. It's the same exact maple and birchwood peeps. DW are made to order and are like a custom shop with higher labor and production costs. Obviously, the labor rate in Mexico is dirt cheap, and the machines are more efficient since they are doing larger production runs. A lot of people think Pacific uses a different grade of wood. Only the outer ply used for a natural wood finish is a better grade, but that really doesn't affect the sound much. That's just a perception people have based on the cost difference. wink.gif

This is absolutely true. PDP uses the same wood that is shipped to the DW factory. DW uses only 99%-100% perfect wood. PDP uses 95%-100% perfect wood. The other reason that PDP can keep costs down is the truck driver is the same. The two factories are very close by each other. Less overhead means better pricing. Even matched up, the PDP & DW are close but DW still outmatches PDP easily.

I can't believe drummers are still learning from the "Stick Control" book. Actually, that's a great book and I HIGHLY recommend working on those exercises. When I got my copy it was $3.00 usd marked up from 2.50 (sticker covered original price lol) http://www.shelvesofbooks.com/images/stickcontrol.jpg Edited by the masked drummer

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Jan 10 2009, 03:43 AM)
A nice drumset, hardware, and cymbals are nice but in my opinion for the time you've been playing, one of the most important things you should learn:

Rudiments

Learn it, know it, live it. Get yourself a practice pad and practice, practice, practice. You'll be glad you did.

Amen!

Know your rudiments. You can apply them around the kit into fills.

Subscribe to Modern Drummer.

Learn nuances and grace notes.

Learn when NOT to play.

Being a good solid drummer is something any great band requires. Before the fancy fills, keeping the beat reliable and tempo consistent is primary and something new drummers often are not aware of.

QUOTE (Sir Lerxst @ Feb 6 2009, 10:22 AM)
My two tips:

Learn your rudiments.
Buy a metronome - You are of no use to anyone if you can't keep a steady beat.

I'll tell you, the biggest difference between players that are coming along and players who, for a lack of a better term... suck, is whether on not you can stay in time. I can't stress that enough! Compare it to building a house and not putting a foundation up first. sure, the house will stay up for a while, but it will all come crashing down soon, sure as sh!t... Metronome is CRITICAL to getting beyond the timekeeping aspect of playing and to actually move on to higher level needs (like your rudiments, dynamics, chops, nuances, etc. ) that are demanded of drummers. If you ever studied maslow's hierarchy of needs, it's the same idea. One of the basic needs is meter & timing and MUST be met in order to move on to higher level needs that also have to be mastered...

Great post, Sir Lerxst!!

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Feb 6 2009, 11:55 AM)
QUOTE (Sir Lerxst @ Feb 6 2009, 10:22 AM)
My two tips:

Learn your rudiments.
Buy a metronome - You are of no use to anyone if you can't keep a steady beat.

I'll tell you, the biggest difference between players that are coming along and players who, for a lack of a better term... suck, is whether on not you can stay in time. I can't stress that enough! Compare it to building a house and not putting a foundation up first. sure, the house will stay up for a while, but it will all come crashing down soon, sure as sh!t... Metronome is CRITICAL to getting beyond the timekeeping aspect of playing and to actually move on to higher level needs (like your rudiments, dynamics, chops, nuances, etc. ) that are demanded of drummers. If you ever studied maslow's hierarchy of needs, it's the same idea. One of the basic needs is meter & timing and MUST be met in order to move on to higher level needs that also have to be mastered...

Great post, Sir Lerxst!!

I never played to a metronome until much later. I was lucky & have a good sense of time. Many times when I was goofing at GC, one of the employees used to say how he'd love to get my sense of timing down. Truth be told that sometimes, you need to just play too. A lot of times playing with another person will help you as well.

My issue is that cheap metronomes do not have multi-functions to change time signatures. If I want to learn that, I have to create it. I never really fully was out of time for some reason.

I do wish I could learn my rudiments better but I found that many drummers can't figure out how to.

Enter Stick Control: this has different variations & will allow you to feel the kit a little better with a good teacher. I learned how to do NeilFinal.gif waltz & expand it to my own just by using Stick Control

But, again, metronomes can be good. I like the Roland Rhythm Coach. It tells you when you're off

QUOTE (Gompers @ Feb 6 2009, 10:33 AM)
A nice drumset, hardware, and cymbals are nice but in my opinion for the time you've been playing, one of the most important things you should learn:

Rudiments

Learn it, know it, live it. Get yourself a practice pad and practice, practice, practice. You'll be glad you did.

Amen!

Learn when NOT to play.

Being a good solid drummer is something any great band requires. Before the fancy fills, keeping the beat reliable and tempo consistent is primary and something new drummers often are not aware of.

I don't subscribe to Modern Drummer anymore. I lost use of it when the featured drummers were asked about their home life or what girlfriend they were dating. That magazine was about playing drums, not drummer's lives. That's just me.

Expanding nuances: learn the 3 basics of music. Melodic, Rhythmic, Dynamic.

For drums, if you use these, you already have a leg above the other drummers. I mean, Rhythm is more than just playing a beat. Feel the flow of the beat & make it your own.

Dynamic - This one sounds easy but have you noticed the boring songs don't have highs & lows together? I like to use the analogy of a sign wave. Peaks & Valleys. The song should have a feel to it.

Melodic - Drummers don't think of their drums as a melodic instrument. Think Bohnam....he made the drums sing! NeilFinal.gif does the same thing. He finds the right drum for the right moment & plays it to fill the part.

So, nuances are finding the right play for the right moment. The good drummers will usually get 2 out of 3. The great ones will always get all 3.

That's my opinion anyway

QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Feb 6 2009, 01:43 PM)

Rudiments

Amen!

Learn when NOT to play.

I don't subscribe to Modern Drummer anymore. I lost use of it when the featured drummers were asked about their home life or what girlfriend they were dating. That magazine was about playing drums, not drummer's lives. That's just me.

For drums, if you use these, you already have a leg above the other drummers. I mean, Rhythm is more than just playing a beat. Feel the flow of the beat & make it your own.

Dynamic - This one sounds easy but have you noticed the boring songs don't have highs & lows together? I like to use the analogy of a sign wave. Peaks & Valleys. The song should have a feel to it.

Melodic - Drummers don't think of their drums as a melodic instrument. Think Bohnam....he made the drums sing! NeilFinal.gif does the same thing. He finds the right drum for the right moment & plays it to fill the part.

So, nuances are finding the right play for the right moment. The good drummers will usually get 2 out of 3. The great ones will always get all 3.

That's my opinion anyway

interesting!

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Feb 6 2009, 09:01 PM)

Rudiments

Amen!

Learn when NOT to play.

That's my opinion anyway

interesting!

Another thing a mentor of mine once told me:

You can have all the licks in the world, but the thing that will make you a great drummer is the ability to be able to just sit back in the pocket and have a tight groove.

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Jan 6 2009, 06:53 PM)
Gretsch is now making some nice low end kits, the Catalina series. The best of these is the Catalina Maples. Also the Pacific Drum Company, owned by DW also make inexpensive maple kits that will be higher quality for a lower price.

Never go cheap on cymbals though. Cymbal packs are a good way to go to get bang for your buck.

Those Catline kits are pretty sweet.... when i first started playing, and i'm sure CygnusX-1Bk2 might say the same, we didn't have cymbal packs, so take advantage of the cost savings! We used to pay $175+ per cymbal and another $75+ for the stand in 1984 dollars! With overseas competition prices have dropped quite a bit.

goodpost.gif

Edited by the masked drummer

QUOTE (kazzman @ Feb 6 2009, 10:50 PM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Feb 6 2009, 09:01 PM)

Rudiments

Amen!

Learn when NOT to play.

That's my opinion anyway

interesting!

Another thing a mentor of mine once told me:

You can have all the licks in the world, but the thing that will make you a great drummer is the ability to be able to just sit back in the pocket and have a tight groove.

so true, kazz. if you don't have that you are nothing as a drummer...

QUOTE (PhilsFriendMatt @ Feb 7 2009, 08:47 PM)
well i noticed today my b8 splash is bent. good things its only a $40 cymbal. and hey now that gives me a reason to go out and buy a better one. if you cant tell I look for excuses to spend money on drums

yeah yeah...join the club. Been there, done that! rofl3.gif

I spent over $10,000 so far. I want to spend another $20,000 on another one now!

QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Feb 10 2009, 02:00 PM)
well i noticed today my b8 splash is bent. good things its only a $40 cymbal. and hey now that gives me a reason to go out and buy a better one. if you cant tell I look for excuses to spend money on drums

I spent over $10,000 so far. I want to spend another $20,000 on another one now!

Welcome to the club indeed...

I figure I've got a good $7,000 invested into my two kits right now. Such is the price we pay for choosing the path of a drummer.

But is it worth it? Absolutely.

QUOTE (kazzman @ Feb 10 2009, 02:51 PM)

I figure I've got a good $7,000 invested into my two kits right now. Such is the price we pay for choosing the path of a drummer.

Indeed it is. I'm pretty cheap compared to you guys I got $2000 into mine right now. I've been checking out prices at guitar center and i'm looking at around $3500-$4000 for the kit I want to make by the end of the year. My little cousin is really into drumming so he may just inherit my old kit for Christmas. Yea I got a lot into it but it's for the good of drumming. If he starts young he will be much better off then me. After all we already got enough guitarists out there

QUOTE (PhilsFriendMatt @ Feb 10 2009, 03:36 PM)

Indeed it is. I'm pretty cheap compared to you guys I got $2000 into mine right now. I've been checking out prices at guitar center and i'm looking at around $3500-$4000 for the kit I want to make by the end of the year. My little cousin is really into drumming so he may just inherit my old kit for Christmas. Yea I got a lot into it but it's for the good of drumming. If he starts young he will be much better off then me. After all we already got enough guitarists out there

Exactly. wink.gif

Just remember to focus on playing to a click track as much as possible, then start developing all the licks. There's plenty of drummers out there too, but if you can't play to a click track, then all those licks you just learned mean absolutely nothing. That's when you'll get the gig over everybody else.

QUOTE (kazzman @ Feb 10 2009, 04:59 PM)

Exactly. wink.gif

Just remember to focus on playing to a click track as much as possible, then start developing all the licks. There's plenty of drummers out there too, but if you can't play to a click track, then all those licks you just learned mean absolutely nothing. That's when you'll get the gig over everybody else.

I'm sure plenty of people will laugh at this or question my musical taste after this but i've been playing to a lot of blink-182 lately on my ipod when im drumming. Barker is a great jazzy style drummer who does some crazy technical stuff. Hes got great hat snare combo work and its really helped me out with my technical stuff. Of course then I put on The Who as well and do crazy fills.

QUOTE (PhilsFriendMatt @ Feb 10 2009, 07:09 PM)
QUOTE (kazzman @ Feb 10 2009, 04:59 PM)

Exactly. wink.gif

I'm sure plenty of people will laugh at this or question my musical taste after this but i've been playing to a lot of blink-182 lately on my ipod when im drumming. Barker is a great jazzy style drummer who does some crazy technical stuff. Hes got great hat snare combo work and its really helped me out with my technical stuff. Of course then I put on The Who as well and do crazy fills.

There are a ton of videos to pick up & watch players help you. Aside from those (which you can get at GC), listen to Tony Williams, Frank Zappa's stuff (he always had the best drummers like Terry Bozzio), The Who, Led Zepplin (a great shuffle beat is Fool in the Rain). Jeff Porcaro. I mean there are ton of groove drummers. That's where the proverbial pocket lies, in the groove. Outside of that, play to songs. Believe it or not, you will get that click track from playing with someone who is playing to one.

Alright so I got my taxes figured out and I have enough for the Maple Renown kit at my local gc. It doesnt come with the snare like it would if you ordered it online instead it comes with an 8" tom. I guess this question is pretty much directed at kazz but i suppose if anyone else worked at gc they could help me out too. They dont show it online but can you order the 16" floor tom in autumn burst? And they also dont show the renown maple snares on gcs website. Ive heard nothing but great things about those snares and was wondering if those also could be ordered? Oh and also if you had a price range on either that would be fantastic.

QUOTE (PhilsFriendMatt @ Feb 15 2009, 03:25 PM)
Alright so I got my taxes figured out and I have enough for the Maple Renown kit at my local gc. It doesnt come with the snare like it would if you ordered it online instead it comes with an 8" tom. I guess this question is pretty much directed at kazz but i suppose if anyone else worked at gc they could help me out too. They dont show it online but can you order the 16" floor tom in autumn burst? And they also dont show the renown maple snares on gcs website. Ive heard nothing but great things about those snares and was wondering if those also could be ordered? Oh and also if you had a price range on either that would be fantastic.

You can indeed order all of them in as long as they have the drum readily available at the factory and they still produce the color. I'll call the vendor for you on Tuesday when I'm in next as to get availability at the factory and a ball park figure on a price for ya.

QUOTE (kazzman @ Feb 16 2009, 12:53 AM)
QUOTE (PhilsFriendMatt @ Feb 15 2009, 03:25 PM)

You can indeed order all of them in as long as they have the drum readily available at the factory and they still produce the color. I'll call the vendor for you on Tuesday when I'm in next as to get availability at the factory and a ball park figure on a price for ya.

WTG-Kazz! Get that up! rofl3.gif

Seriously, Kazz will take care of you. You can order these but SPO's can be pricey.