Today's 'MP3 Players', and Syncing

Pags

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jan 6 2009, 10:57 PM)
QUOTE (English Muffin @ Jan 6 2009, 03:19 PM)
it took me about 20 hrs to put ~450 songs on my NEW iPod shuffle.
And it was Christmas Day.

I was not happy

How did you manage to fit 450 songs on an iPod shuffle??

My iPod shuffle drowned. sad.gif

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jan 6 2009, 09:57 PM)

I was not happy

Probably b/c they were 128kbps crap quality. One major problem I have with iTunes and the like. I don't want to purchase a compressed or stipped down version of the original. You can tell the difference when you play it thru a 'good' system.

QUOTE (ashpkt @ Jan 7 2009, 08:54 AM)

I was not happy

Probably b/c they were 128kbps crap quality. One major problem I have with iTunes and the like. I don't want to purchase a compressed or stipped down version of the original. You can tell the difference when you play it thru a 'good' system.

That's my issue, too. You can even tell on mediocre car stereos that the song is squashed to hell. Aside from the control-freak approach of iTunes/iPods (which I hate) - even worse is the crappy quality of what's sold. I wish I knew what you get from purchasing songs from Zune. I have idea, yet. It's probably the same bitrate.

QUOTE (Pags @ Jan 7 2009, 03:05 PM)
QUOTE (ashpkt @ Jan 7 2009, 08:54 AM)

I was not happy

That's my issue, too. You can even tell on mediocre car stereos that the song is squashed to hell. Aside from the control-freak approach of iTunes/iPods (which I hate) - even worse is the crappy quality of what's sold. I wish I knew what you get from purchasing songs from Zune. I have idea, yet. It's probably the same bitrate.

when i got it (at christmas) i wasnt concerned about how good the quality of the songs were, i just needed it to get me to sleep wacko.gif

im now trying to put ~ 250 songs on at 256kbps quality

its taken 4 school days, and yesterday it wiped everything of my iPod because i added 5 more songs

angry.gif

How many songs can you store on a 160 GB Ipod Classic with 320 Mp3 44.1 Joint VBR HQ? Can someone do the math for me here? Thanks. unsure.gif

QUOTE (Ru5h F@n @ Jan 7 2009, 03:04 PM)
How many songs can you store on a 160 GB Ipod Classic with 320 Mp3 44.1 Joint VBR HQ? Can someone do the math for me here? Thanks. unsure.gif

I couldnt do the math that well but I know I have a 120 gb with around 800 songs on it now and its only at around 5 gb full. All the songs are either off cds or off itunes so the quality is good so when you do the math on mine I should be able to fit roughly 19200 songs (thats including all the crazy long ones rush has). So then for your iPod you should be able to fit over 25000 songs on there

QUOTE (PhilsFriendMatt @ Jan 7 2009, 09:51 PM)

I couldnt do the math that well but I know I have a 120 gb with around 800 songs on it now and its only at around 5 gb full. All the songs are either off cds or off itunes so the quality is good so when you do the math on mine I should be able to fit roughly 19200 songs (thats including all the crazy long ones rush has). So then for your iPod you should be able to fit over 25000 songs on there

Is there that many good songs in existance?

QUOTE (English Muffin @ Jan 7 2009, 04:01 PM)
QUOTE (PhilsFriendMatt @ Jan 7 2009, 09:51 PM)

Is there that many good songs in existance?

I very highly doubt it. The main reason I got the classic was for $50 less at the time I got ten times as much space as an ipod touch. Also I like to put movies on there for long trips,breaks between class etc.

Okay. So after a few weeks of play time with the Zune, I've totally become a fan of it. I must admit that even though I'm still miffed that I have to purchase extra hard drive space to host all this stuff, I really like keeping things synced like this. I haven't bought an external hard drive yet, it's still too tight here after Christmas. So I've been able to work with about 2,500 songs with the available space on my laptop. It's allowed me to get comfortable with organizing everything in my 'collection' on the hard drive and syncing it with the player. I keep the auto sync feature on, so any time I do an add/change in the Zune software it immediately updates the player when it's connected. It's awesome. The only problem is I haven't been able to stop myself from adding as much music as possible and I've completely filled up my hard drive. Now I REALLY can't wait to buy that external hard drive so I can finally get all my music loaded, and stop choking the space on my laptop. It says I have less than 100MB free space left. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Pags @ Jan 22 2009, 08:40 AM)
Okay.  So after a few weeks of play time with the Zune, I've totally become a fan of it.  I must admit that even though I'm still miffed that I have to purchase extra hard drive space to host all this stuff, I really like keeping things synced like this.  I haven't bought an external hard drive yet, it's still too tight here after Christmas.  So I've been able to work with about 2,500 songs with the available space on my laptop.  It's allowed me to get comfortable with organizing everything in my 'collection' on the hard drive and syncing it with the player.  I keep the auto sync feature on, so any time I do an add/change in the Zune software it immediately updates the player when it's connected.  It's awesome.  The only problem is I haven't been able to stop myself from adding as much music as possible and I've completely filled up my hard drive.  Now I REALLY can't wait to buy that external hard drive so I can finally get all my music loaded, and stop choking the space on my laptop.  It says I have less than 100MB free space left.  laugh.gif

now i know things are tight budget wise... (i'm in the same boat, yo)

but i happen to come across THIS ADD @ COSTCO this morning. for 500 GB of external hard drive space, it's a pretty good deal. PLUS, it's VERY portable. i have one similar to this, (300 GB) and i take it with me everywhere. (i had it @ PAGSCON this past summer, and was able to put all 1700+ photos from that weekend on it).

just food for thought. it may not solve the syncing problem, but you'd at least have something external to save a whole heck of a lot of computer stuff, 'eh?

coy.gif

QUOTE (ashpkt @ Jan 5 2009, 12:49 PM)
Good topic. I've held off on buying a player for myself for many of the problems being discussed here.

* iPod really turns me off because it doesn't play nice with PC

Have you tried Songbird instead of iTunes? I use it for my wife's Nano and my son's iTouch.

Okay. So after a few weeks of play time with the Zune, I've totally become a fan of it. I must admit that even though I'm still miffed that I have to purchase extra hard drive space to host all this stuff, I really like keeping things synced like this. I haven't bought an external hard drive yet, it's still too tight here after Christmas. So I've been able to work with about 2,500 songs with the available space on my laptop. It's allowed me to get comfortable with organizing everything in my 'collection' on the hard drive and syncing it with the player. I keep the auto sync feature on, so any time I do an add/change in the Zune software it immediately updates the player when it's connected. It's awesome. The only problem is I haven't been able to stop myself from adding as much music as possible and I've completely filled up my hard drive. Now I REALLY can't wait to buy that external hard drive so I can finally get all my music loaded, and stop choking the space on my laptop. It says I have less than 100MB free space left. laugh.gif

My favorite part of the Zune is the Zune Pass.

$14.99 a month for access to the whole library and then you get 10 free downloads a moth with no DRM at all.

QUOTE (Skirmshander @ Jan 29 2009, 12:49 PM)
Okay.  So after a few weeks of play time with the Zune, I've totally become a fan of it.  I must admit that even though I'm still miffed that I have to purchase extra hard drive space to host all this stuff, I really like keeping things synced like this.  I haven't bought an external hard drive yet, it's still too tight here after Christmas.  So I've been able to work with about 2,500 songs with the available space on my laptop.  It's allowed me to get comfortable with organizing everything in my 'collection' on the hard drive and syncing it with the player.  I keep the auto sync feature on, so any time I do an add/change in the Zune software it immediately updates the player when it's connected.  It's awesome.  The only problem is I haven't been able to stop myself from adding as much music as possible and I've completely filled up my hard drive.  Now I REALLY can't wait to buy that external hard drive so I can finally get all my music loaded, and stop choking the space on my laptop.  It says I have less than 100MB free space left.  laugh.gif

My favorite part of the Zune is the Zune Pass.

$14.99 a month for access to the whole library and then you get 10 free downloads a moth with no DRM at all.

I have to read up more on that. I'm not even sure what DRM is. laugh.gif

I'm still just trying to build my own library back up. I got as far as Letter E.

I've got a 120gb ipod classic (6.5gen) and i sync it using foobar2000 with the foo_dop plugin. it does the job (much much better than itunes), and additionally has an option to send or remove files to or from the ipod just as you would do so with regular files on an EHDD in windows explorer. really, it just takes a little hunting around for third party programs in order to find something that works better.

OK well the day I was waiting for has finally arrived. I had to wait until some financial issues were aligned. Now that that has occured, I placed an order this morning for a 1TB external hard drive. Once it's in my hands, I'll finally be able to complete the transfer to all my digital music files and get my Zune updated with everything I have. Right now, it's still synched with my choked-to-capacity hard drive with music from artists lettered A-E with some various add ons (like Rush).

On big positive from this, is that I've had a big opportunity to get reaquainted with so many songs which I haven't listened to in ages. It's very cool.

So I have question for youz. The other folks who have high capacity players like 80GB and more... what have you done to accommodate the need for synching with your player? External hard drive as well, or some other solution? Just curious.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Feb 19 2009, 04:31 PM)
yes.gif

External HD. We're getting a 1TB also, since someone filled our other one to capacity just about. wink.gif

trink39.gif

Check out walmart online. There's a Western Digital 1TB for $99.88.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8001583

QUOTE (Pags @ Feb 19 2009, 12:10 PM)
OK well the day I was waiting for has finally arrived. I had to wait until some financial issues were aligned. Now that that has occured, I placed an order this morning for a 1TB external hard drive. Once it's in my hands, I'll finally be able to complete the transfer to all my digital music files and get my Zune updated with everything I have. Right now, it's still synched with my choked-to-capacity hard drive with music from artists lettered A-E with some various add ons (like Rush).

On big positive from this, is that I've had a big opportunity to get reaquainted with so many songs which I haven't listened to in ages. It's very cool.

So I have question for youz. The other folks who have high capacity players like 80GB and more... what have you done to accommodate the need for synching with your player? External hard drive as well, or some other solution? Just curious.

trink39.gif

I have a 500GB Western Digital Passport to store all my music on. Works great. Now, if I could only fit my entire music collection onto my iPod. C'mon Apple, only 120GB???? I need something bigger tongue.gif (no joke!)

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Feb 19 2009, 05:52 PM)
QUOTE (Pags @ Feb 19 2009, 12:10 PM)
OK well the day I was waiting for has finally arrived.  I had to wait until some financial issues were aligned.  Now that that has occured, I placed an order this morning for a 1TB external hard drive.  Once it's in my hands, I'll finally be able to complete the transfer to all my digital music files and get my Zune updated with everything I have.  Right now, it's still synched with my choked-to-capacity hard drive with music from artists lettered A-E with some various add ons (like Rush).

On big positive from this, is that I've had a big opportunity to get reaquainted with so many songs which I haven't listened to in ages.  It's very cool.

So I have question for youz.  The other folks who have high capacity players like 80GB and more... what have you done to accommodate the need for synching with your player?  External hard drive as well, or some other solution?  Just curious.

trink39.gif

I have a 500GB Western Digital Passport to store all my music on. Works great. Now, if I could only fit my entire music collection onto my iPod. C'mon Apple, only 120GB???? I need something bigger tongue.gif (no joke!)

Yeah same for me, man. There is no way I'll be able to fit everything I have in a decent MP3 format on the 120GB Zune I have. But it will hold a great deal, so I'm happy. But I'm learning that the same MP3 files I'm transferring over from my old 40GB player is taking up a lot more space on the Zune because of the added graphics like CD cover images, etc. The individual MP3 files are larger because of that, and now I'm nervous about how much I'll be able to fit on the new player.

You can get a 250 external for under 80 bucks now..... Memory is cheap, like the above are saying, run your mp3 software of an external.. I do

I am used to synching.... I have an iPod, and I am used to the level of management that goes into it..

QUOTE (The Owl @ Feb 26 2009, 08:44 AM)
You can get a 250 external for under 80 bucks now..... Memory is cheap, like the above are saying, run your mp3 software of an external.. I do

I am used to synching.... I have an iPod, and I am used to the level of management that goes into it..

Yep that's the way I'm going. I've become accustomed to syncing, and am ok with it, now. I ordered the 1TB external drive for $99 bucks. That will allow me to clear off my choked laptop's hard drive.

If I have a better choice, I will not go the route of either the iPod or the Zune.

I have had a 60 GB Creative Zen Jukebox Xtra since 2005 and I love it. I have 85% of my collection on it and I have only filled up about 50% of it. I don;t have to worry about Apple hijacking my music collection or worrying about DRM (which is a draconian way of trying to keep you from simply copying your music to the player, and in their clumsy way they hinder the honest consumer the most). The iPod is a wonderful product, but I dislike the way Apple does business as well.

QUOTE (Rendclaw @ Feb 27 2009, 02:57 AM)
If I have a better choice, I will not go the route of either the iPod or the Zune.

I have had a 60 GB Creative Zen Jukebox Xtra since 2005 and I love it. I have 85% of my collection on it and I have only filled up about 50% of it. I don;t have to worry about Apple hijacking my music collection or worrying about DRM (which is a draconian way of trying to keep you from simply copying your music to the player, and in their clumsy way they hinder the honest consumer the most). The iPod is a wonderful product, but I dislike the way Apple does business as well.

applaudit.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif

You said it, man. The player it owned for almost 8 years was the 40GB Creative Zen Jukebox Xtra, and I loved it. But it broke after all these years, and the only options for high capacity players seem to be iPod and Zune, and no way am I going iPod with how controlling they are. Creative Labs doesn't seem offer a high capacity player anymore. I wish I could buy a 120GB version of what I had. I'm still hooked on it. Trust me, I was thrown into the situation of having to buy a new high capacity player. That's why I was so pissed off about it (at the beginning of this thread). I don't like the 'new' way of doing things. I wish I could open up my Creative Mediasource Organizer software and just do my thing. It was awesome.

Take care of your 60GB unit. If something happens to it, you'll find yourself in the same boat I'm in.

trink39.gif

I think that if and when I break my Zen (although I found a site where you can get spare parts for it, such as a bigger hard drive, I'll post the link), I will search high and low for another one, even possibly going through Ebay.

http://www.thegadgetdr.com/Zen-Xtra-Battery-p/zx-battery.htm

I LOVE this site as you can basically replace most of the unit through these parts.

Archived