Freeze...

rickyrob

I think this is currently my favourite 2.gif song.

It just ROCKS 653.gif

It has such a tempo that I can't stop myself moving when I play it. common001.gif

When I play it.....I have to play it again 1287.gif Yarghh!

The ending is fantastic, and I love the way you think its about to finish, but then it keeps going.....give me MORE! Sock to me guys! Yeah 653.gif

Am I going crazy fing.gif or are there more of you feeling like this? confused13.gif

If you're one of the boys, I could see not wanting to "mess" with the Fear Trilogy. They took a risk adding another song to an already solid series.

Very distinctive and original. Took a bit to grow on me I admit, but I rather like it now.

My perception is that it gets harder and harder for them to write as the years go by. Because so much of the stuff they "might" write would feel like they've done it before. Plus their musical tastes are much higher, so it gets harder to write something you respect and are happy with.

So I give them a lot of credit for an original piece like this. Also very good writing by Neil, who clearly pushed himself hard on the lyrics. I can picture him saying to himself, "If I going to add something to Fear, I'd better have something to say worthy of the series, or I should just leave it alone."

Well I for one applaud his efforts. Sometimes the words feel like a story. Other times it feels like images flashing by. Still others you just feel the raw emotion of what he's describing. All of it hits home.

"Fight or Flight" has been a dilemma for man since the dawn of time. And it still haunts us to this day. No matter what your station in life.

Like my favorite Texas Hold 'Em dealer in St. Louis would say..

"What cha' gonna do now?"

Cheers,

cool.gif

Schro

This is by far my favorite song off of Vapor Trails, and I was kinda disapointed in not being able to hear it live for the last 2 tours. It is one of those songs that prooves they still have the ability to write really intense, energetic music, I just love it. Hopefully it will eventually make its way onto thier live setlist, as that is truely one song that deserves its moment of playing time. Hell, they played Virtuality live, they can find room for Freeze.

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Feb 25 2005, 11:55 AM)
This is by far my favorite song off of Vapor Trails, and I was kinda disapointed in not being able to hear it live for the last 2 tours. It is one of those songs that prooves they still have the ability to write really intense, energetic music, I just love it. Hopefully it will eventually make its way onto thier live setlist, as that is truely one song that deserves its moment of playing time. Hell, they played Virtuality live, they can find room for Freeze.

Maybe 2.gif could play it along withe the rest of the Fear Trilogy (or Quadrology I guess) on the next tour.... yes.gif That would be awesome cool10.gif They haven't played the entire trilogy since GUP tour...

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Feb 25 2005, 12:00 PM)
This is by far my favorite song off of Vapor Trails, and I was kinda disapointed in not being able to hear it live for the last 2 tours.  It is one of those songs that prooves they still have the ability to write really intense, energetic music, I just love it.  Hopefully it will eventually make its way onto thier live setlist, as that is truely one song that deserves its moment of playing time.  Hell, they played Virtuality live, they can find room for Freeze.

Maybe 2.gif could play it along withe the rest of the Fear Trilogy (or Quadrology I guess) on the next tour.... yes.gif That would be awesome cool10.gif They haven't played the entire trilogy since GUP tour...

Is there any word yet on their next tour? I don't care what they play as long as they come to Vancouver...

QUOTE (Let The Fray Begin @ Feb 25 2005, 09:01 AM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Feb 25 2005, 12:00 PM)
This is by far my favorite song off of Vapor Trails, and I was kinda disapointed in not being able to hear it live for the last 2 tours.  It is one of those songs that prooves they still have the ability to write really intense, energetic music, I just love it.  Hopefully it will eventually make its way onto thier live setlist, as that is truely one song that deserves its moment of playing time.  Hell, they played Virtuality live, they can find room for Freeze.

Is there any word yet on their next tour? I don't care what they play as long as they come to Vancouver...

I wouldnt expect a new tour until they release a new album, and I havent yet heard any word that they are planning on heading back into the studio yet. They said after the R30 tour ended last year that they would try to head back into the studio after the new year, well its been 1/6th of that new year already and still no news....

Oh yeah! Freeze is an excellent piece for modern day Rush. Call me crazy, but songs like The Camera Eye and Natural Science come to mind when I listen that song. It's like they were trying to capture that "epic" song spirit again that they left alone for some time. I also love the two opening guitar riffs for Sweet Miracle. Any guitarists here know the chord progression for that song?

Freeze is indeed an amazing song. it is one of my favourite Rush songs. it's just so cool. I remember sneaking the CD up to my room just to listen to that one song... it is quite amazing!!! I even got ideas for a story while listening to Freeze. Well, part of it ayway. It just makes your imagintaion run wild, and you see pictures and things, its like you see the song, if you now what I mean. i think all of my favourite rush songs are like. INSPIRATIONAL and wonderful and just amazing. (I am amazed by everything that is fantastic. lol).

I dislike it intensely, personally - I honestly think it's dreadful, a mess, the very worst thing the band has ever done.

To address the question as it's expressed in the title of this thread, I most dislike the way Geddy tries to crowbar the words in. It's clear to me that he couldn't come up with a coherent vocal melody, but he tries to sing the words over the music anyway, and the result is appalling, incredibly awkward and shoddy; as if he's just been handed the lyric sheet and has never heard the music before. To be fair though, increasingly Neil's lyrics, thoughtful and interesting as they are, seem to be a bit unsuited for rock music lyrics - I don't think they scan too well.

I must say though if it had been left as an instrumental, I still wouldn't like Freeze at all - I find the music pedestrian and plodding - but I wouldn't despise it to the extent that I do as it is.

Hey, some good replies. I expected more criticism actually. I think its a song you either love, or hate....yes Slim... sarcasm.gif

I wasn't a big fan of Freeze at first, but it grew on me. I think it's a good piece, but I don't think it fits in with the rest of the "Fear" series. Maybe because too much time has passed between them.

I have to agree with Slim's comment--the lyrics don't match the music all that well. The first few times I listened to it, I kept thinking that the words sounded too awkward, and that Geddy was trying too hard.

I also think the ending is a little repetitive and could've been made more concise (or diverse).

I love this song for many reasons. First of all, it's part of the Fear trilogy, so of course it's going to be good. The lyrics accompany the music very well, in fact, almost perfectly. It would be interesting to hear it performed live. Without a doubt, Freeze is one of the best songs on Vapor Trails, and is also very underrated, in my opinion.

I think "Freeze" is one of the best songs on "Vapor Trails." It's such a great combination of why I love RUSH from the late eighties till now (I'm 30). Aside from everything else they've done, they have adapted better than any band I've ever heard.

And the best thing about them, is they love what they do. I've never seen any band do what they do, and love it so much. It's impressive.

Archived