Any Golfers Out There

Closer To the End

You're in good company....Lerxst plays, too! Maybe you'll run into him sometime.

From the Nov. Naples (FL) Daily News, Nov 11 &12 2004....

PRO-AM UPDATE: The team of pro Kenny Perry and amateurs Tom Ouverson, Steve Finley, Lawrence Taylor and Alex Lifeson has the lead after a 51 in the shambles format.

Yes, that is the Lawrence Taylor who is the Hall of Famer from the New York Giants.

And yes that is the Alex Lifeson who is the guitarist for the band Rush. The amateur groups typically stay the same and play with a different pro for today's second round.

And, yes, that's shambles and not scramble. A shamble is when the group picks the best tee shot and each player plays his/her own ball through the rest of the hole.

The team of pro Rory Sabbatini and amateurs Walt Klenz, Marvin Shanken, Tom McLaughlin and Ben Rubinstein is second with a 53. Two teams are at 54: amateurs Al Wisne, Michael Reynolds, Richard Andrassy and David Brown, and amateurs Joseph Clare, Brit Geiger, Edward Easton and Murray Stolz.

Franklin Templeton Shootout: Taylor's team sacked

Lawrence Taylor had a bad round at the Shootout, and he said he didn't want to talk about football with the exception of supporting the Dallas coach

By TOM HANSON tahanson@naplesnews.com

November 12, 2004

After the second round of the Franklin Templeton pro-am on Thursday, former New York Giants Lawrence Taylor looked like a beaten man. With his hat turned around in frustration, the Hall of Famer couldn't get back to his room at The Ritz Carlton Golf Resort fast enough.

With a 51 Wednesday, Taylor's team, which included Tom Ouverson and Alex Lifeson, led after the first round. But one too many duck hooks off the tee by Taylor resulted in the team netting a 59, dropping them to second place.

The team of Chris Berman, from ESPN, Greg Johnson of tournament sponsor Franklin Templeton, Kirk Brown and Sean O'Hara rallied with a 52 in the second round to capture first place with a two- day total of 109.

In a bad mood, Taylor didn't want to talk about much. When asked about his former coach, Bill Parcells, and his remarks of the disappointing play of the Dallas Cowboys, he replied, "I don't watch football anymore so I don't have any thoughts on the subject.

I'm sure whatever Bill said was correct because he's a great coach."

Mark Calcavecchia, who was the pro with Taylor on Thursday, said, "he's got some issues."

But Calcavecchia noted most of his problems come from his golf game.

"He can really hit the ball," he said. "He's an animal. But I think he was unhappy with the way his equipment was setting up for him."

The team of Al Wisne, Richard Andrassy, Michael Reynolds and David Brown finished third with a 111 total.

QUOTE (Closer To the End @ Feb 24 2005, 05:21 PM)
I've been getting more and more into golfing lately. The links are always crowded in my area. Anyone know any great places to play golf on the western side of North America?

I grew up in Phoenix, so I know a bit about the area, though many courses have popped up since i moved away in 1994. Whereabout are you, and what price range are you looking for? I can say Pebble Beach and Spyglass are without peer, but they're insanely expensive...

QUOTE (Closer To the End @ Feb 24 2005, 08:54 PM)
I live in Vancouver up in Canada but i travel along the coast regularly .... how expensive are you talking with Pebble Beach and Spyglass i'd like to see if they're worth it

Look to spend $500 minimum for a round at Pebble Beach, including forecaddy. And call well in advance. Spyglass is probably $200-300 minimum at least. In Santa Cruz, there's a great course called Pasatiempo, designed by the renowned Allister MacKenzie. He also designed Cypress Point (private, sorry) and Augusta National, where they play the Masters. Poppy Hills is another good course in the Monterey area. These are all pretty difficult courses. I'm lucky to break 100 when the weather is inclement on these courses. I don't know what your skill level is. If you can break 90 at home, give them a shot. When the weather turns brutal, these courses will eat people alive.

Mini golfer here tongue.gif

QUOTE (DonnaWanna @ Feb 25 2005, 03:26 PM)
Mini golfer here tongue.gif

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

My friend was playing mini golf and he decided to take a real golf swing......... the ball went sailing over the mini golf green, over the fence and into the opposite parking lot.. I don't think he stuck around to find out what happened to his ball.

I don't get to play much these days. Living in Chicago makes it difficult. Those who live here can attest as to why that is. I used to always go up to my granparents' house outside Milwaukee and play golf up there. It was easier to do that than to play around here. When I play enough, I play bogey golf. I used to play Papago a lot when I lived in Phoenix. It's a city course that's used for Phoenix Open qualifying, and it is a solid test of golf, with a beautfiul view of the Papago Buttes.

My all time favorite courses that I've played are Bethpage Black (where Tiger won the U.S. Open) and Pasatiempo in Santa Cruz CA. I was seriously humbled on both tracks, and even more so than I usually am. I never played Pebble or Spyglass, because they were too expensive for me when I used to visit family in the area while living out west. I did play Poppy Hills, one of the courses on the rotation for the AT&T (formerly the Bing Crosby Invitational). It was a very solid course, and the weather was very brutal on the front nine. If I remember correctly, my front nine score was much higher than my back nine score. Poppy Hills replaced Cypress Point in the rotation because the PGA amended its rules to allow only host clubs that had minority and/or women members. Cypress wouldn't admit any new members, period. They only have about 100-150 members as it is, and they just weren't going to change, which was a real shame. My grandfather got to play the course once. He said it was absolutely spectacular. He knew somebody who knew somebody who knew somebody. That's the only way to get on there.

Okay, golfers, let's hear more out there.....

QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Feb 26 2005, 12:26 AM)
Just found out that we are going to Hilton Head Island this summer. I think we are going to play golf a few times down there. Can't wait until the warm weather and plenty of sunshine. trink39.gif

Wow, should be quite humid there. The rates should be much better, though. I've never gone there before. Let us know. I hear Harbor Town is a very tough track to play. I shot well on it on Links Pro, though. laugh.gif

QUOTE (anagramking @ Feb 26 2005, 01:32 AM)
QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Feb 26 2005, 12:26 AM)
Just found out that we are going to Hilton Head Island this summer.  I think we are going to play golf a few times down there.  Can't wait until the warm weather and plenty of sunshine.  trink39.gif

Wow, should be quite humid there. The rates should be much better, though. I've never gone there before. Let us know. I hear Harbor Town is a very tough track to play. I shot well on it on Links Pro, though. laugh.gif

Yeah, I heard that as well. I don't know where we are going to play, but I doubt I would fare very well at the Harbour Town course. I am not that good, and there must be so many sand traps and water hazards out there. Maybe there will be one that's a little bit easier. I'll let you guys know though. I think we are heading out there sometime in the middle of June.

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Feb 28 2005, 04:21 AM)
I just bought some new Dry Joys.. Best thing I ever did..!!!!!! My previous pair of Gaaf shoes was very cheap.. they sucked... but these are Awesome..!!!

yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif

This is my new shoe and it is awesome!!!! (Did I mention that????)

DryJoys PRO

I miss wearing spikes. I can't wear them anymore because I had my ACL reconstructed. So I just wear sneakers on the course now.

I guess you could say I'm a golfer. A hacker is more like it, but I enjoy the game immensely and I truly believe that a well-struck drive, sweet accurate iron, or well-read putt are among the most satisfying instances in all the world. I can play badly all day, but I always take away at least two or three shots/putts that inspire me to keep coming back again and again.

I play mostly inexpensive muni tracks and have actually never played a par 72 track. I just want to make sure I can break 100 on one and not hold up play. I think I'm getting close though. Good topic. Golf is a really rewarding endeavor even if it can be frustrating at times. It's also good exercise and a great way to meet other people.

QUOTE (war2112 @ Mar 11 2005, 05:12 AM)
I guess you could say I'm a golfer. A hacker is more like it, but I enjoy the game immensely and I truly believe that a well-struck drive, sweet accurate iron, or well-read putt are among the most satisfying instances in all the world. I can play badly all day, but I always take away at least two or three shots/putts that inspire me to keep coming back again and again.

I play mostly inexpensive muni tracks and have actually never played a par 72 track. I just want to make sure I can break 100 on one and not hold up play. I think I'm getting close though. Good topic. Golf is a really rewarding endeavor even if it can be frustrating at times. It's also good exercise and a great way to meet other people.

If i didn't know better i would of thought David Duval wrote this post laugh.gif

QUOTE (war2112 @ Mar 11 2005, 05:12 AM)

Well said. Gotta drink to something, but they don't have a Fresca one on here, in honor of Caddyshack.

I'm a golfer, but i haven't played in like a year.

I'm starting to wonder if i even know how to swing a club anymore.

It's 75 degrees here today and you know what that means......tee 'em up!

I'm an 8 handicap and play on average 2-3 days a week. But haven't played since January due to unfavorable weather. So from March thru November you can find me on the course.

Oh cart girl, how about another bud light, and get one for the rest of the group too. I'll be paying with the money I just took from them on the last hole!! tongue.gif

QUOTE (progrush2112 @ Mar 11 2005, 12:06 PM)
I'm a golfer, but i haven't played in like a year.
I'm starting to wonder if i even know how to swing a club anymore.

I don't want to konw the answer on whether or not I can. laugh.gif

Archived