Give me your best hangover cure ?

Tick

I'm curious how folks avoid hangovers, and how you get rid of a bad one when you get one ? Whats your miracle cure ?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was something about this very thing on the Food Network this week. I can't remember all the details, but...

Eat before you drink.

Try to thow in some H2O between drinks.

Lighter colored spirits don't cause as bad of a hangover.

For the day after, try eating a heavy meal - lot's of protein, fat & carbs & rehydrate.

Once I have the hangover there's no stopping it in it's tracks. Every time I have one it's the same thing: like someone is jamming an ice pick down & behind my left eyeball.

A long hot shower, lots of water (gatorage & other sports drinks DO NOT work for me at all), food and if I can manage it some mild exercise helps a ton, getting the blood flowing & sweating really cuts back on the head pain.

But in the end nothing takes away the hangover except time and perhaps, well yes...more beer (but that only postpones it truth be told).

trink38.gif

For me, the same thing works EVERY time (and Ive been at this a while). For me, the way to avoid it is to not let it start. No matter how bombed I am, I drink as much water as I can stand, even a little past where I think Im not thirsty anymore and take 2-3 Advil BEFORE I pass out. It ALWAYS works!

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Dec 12 2008, 10:43 PM)
For me, the same thing works EVERY time (and Ive been at this a while). For me, the way to avoid it is to not let it start. No matter how bombed I am, I drink as much water as I can stand, even a little past where I think Im not thirsty anymore and take 2-3 Advil BEFORE I pass out. It ALWAYS works!

I do the EXACT same thing, except I repeat that routine as soon as I wake up...and I'm usually good. If its especially bad, after my morning water and advil, i head back to bed with an ice pack wrapped in a towel for my head.

and one other thing...dont laugh...chocolate milk. Settles the tummy nicely.

QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ Dec 12 2008, 10:49 PM)
For me, the same thing works EVERY time (and Ive been at this a while).  For me, the way to avoid it is to not let it start.  No matter how bombed I am, I drink as much water as I can stand, even a little past where I think Im not thirsty anymore and take 2-3 Advil BEFORE I pass out.  It ALWAYS works!

I do the EXACT same thing, except I repeat that routine as soon as I wake up...and I'm usually good. If its especially bad, after my morning water and advil, i head back to bed with an ice pack wrapped in a towel for my head.

and one other thing...dont laugh...chocolate milk. Settles the tummy nicely.

Michael Jackson (not that one, the beer dude) recommended a little protein and carbs in the morning too... trink39.gif

Lots of water & a couple advil before passing out!

Food before passing out too helps. Eggs. or pizza. we almost always go out to eat after closing a club down.

that's the preventative measure.

If you already have one, depending on how bad it is. Eat, drink water, take some advil.

Hair of the dog, man.

or like Riv said, bloody mary's!

(back to that whole hair of the dog gig).

sleep it off. (if that's an option).

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Dec 13 2008, 07:37 AM)
You can avoid them by not drinking so damn much! laugh.gif

laugh.gif YA!

That's the best one.

hair of the dog. always works for me trink38.gif

QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ Dec 12 2008, 10:49 PM)
For me, the same thing works EVERY time (and Ive been at this a while).  For me, the way to avoid it is to not let it start.  No matter how bombed I am, I drink as much water as I can stand, even a little past where I think Im not thirsty anymore and take 2-3 Advil BEFORE I pass out.  It ALWAYS works!

I do the EXACT same thing, except I repeat that routine as soon as I wake up...

I do the before-bed water guzzling, and the Advil.

In the AM, a chili-cheese omelette will usually set me right. Fire in the belly seems to help a lot.

QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ Dec 12 2008, 07:49 PM)

It has been a LONG time since I've had a hangover. My drink limit nowadays is two drinks (max).

But, I have to agree with these two. Drink as much water as you can stand and pop some advil before going to bed. The next morning, more water and more ibuprofen. No caffeine as it dehydrates you even further. Depending on the level of hangover, either some carbs the next morning or a really sugary drink always helped me.

QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ Dec 15 2008, 10:14 AM)
QUOTE (Slacker @ Dec 13 2008, 08:30 PM)
Chocolate Milk.... It works for me!

looks like its just you and me!

We should share a hangover drink trink38.gif

QUOTE (Slacker @ Dec 15 2008, 03:13 PM)
QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ Dec 15 2008, 10:14 AM)
QUOTE (Slacker @ Dec 13 2008, 08:30 PM)
Chocolate Milk.... It works for me!

looks like its just you and me!

We should share a hangover drink trink38.gif

next time I am hungover I'll "call" you and we'll have a glass together! trink38.gif

never did the advil thing. with me, heaps of water & a snack before bed always seems to work to prevent one. in the hangover itself, drink all the water you can and eat everything in sight. eat the plate if you have to.

or you could bypass all that and just vomit your soul out. after that you should be fine

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

About 32 oz of water before passing out helps but by far eating something heavy before you start drinking. Pasta works best for me. Not to mention, it holds off breaking the seal too soon. In the morning, a sports drink helps to replenish lost electrolytes. I have never found the hair of the dog to work. Not to mention the fleas get caught between my teeth.

Never, ever, take acetaminophen (i.e. Tylenol) before going to bed after binging. That stuff tears up your liver and with your body metabolizing the copious amounts of alcohol already, it's doing double duty.

edit: Forgot this one. For the nausea the next day, I slowly drink Coke, not another cola. When I worked at a pharmacy during college, I used to sip Coke syrup. Oh, an take some hits from an oxygen tank. laugh.gif

Edited by Gompers