Randy Moss a Raider?

kazzman

ESPN.com news services

Randy Moss is heading for Oakland, the receiver's agent said Wednesday.

Dante DiTrapano, Moss' agent, told The Associated Press that the Minnesota Vikings and the Raiders had "come to an agreement on Randy playing for Oakland next year."

Neither the Vikings nor the Raiders would confirm the deal, which was first reported by The St. Paul Pioneer Press on its Web site.

"We have had discussions with the Oakland Raiders, but there's nothing to announce," Rob Brzezinski, the team's vice president of football operations, told the AP.

Raiders spokesman Mike Taylor would not confirm the team traded for Moss, but made it clear the wide receiver is a desirable player.

"This organization has always been tremendously aggressive," Taylor said. "Randy Moss is one of the great players of all time.

"Great players want to play for the Raiders."

DiTrapano said he didn't know the terms of the deal, but the Pioneer Press reported the Vikings would get linebacker Napoleon Harris, along with the seventh overall pick and a late-round pick in the upcoming draft.

The deal cannot become official until March 2, the start of the NFL's fiscal year.

"It's just like any other contract. There's a meeting of the minds between the people who negotiate for the Vikings and the people who negotiate for the Raiders," DiTrapano said. "It just hasn't been reduced to writing and it won't be until March 2."

The flamboyant Moss had been the subject of trade rumors following this past season. He struggled with a hamstring injury but still finished with 13 touchdown catches. He was fined $10,000 for pretending to pull down his pants and moon the Green Bay crowd during Minnesota's playoff win. He also drew criticism for leaving the field with two seconds left in a regular-season loss against Washington.

Team leaders Matt Birk and Daunte Culpepper confronted Moss after he walked off at Washington, and the organization's patience with the receiver seemed to dwindle in the past year or so.

"He's my good friend, but you almost get to thinking that maybe enough is enough," Culpepper said earlier this month at the Pro Bowl. "And maybe the Vikings organization has had enough."

DiTrapano said Moss was "very pleased to be going to Oakland and looking forward to playing with a team that's promised they're going to throw the ball deep a whole lot to him and having a chance at winning the Super Bowl."

"He doesn't leave Minnesota with any grudges," DiTrapano said. "It just was frustrating for him to lose."

He leaves Minnesota as the only receiver in NFL history to start his career with six straight 1,000-yard seasons. Last year he had 49 catches for 767 yards and 13 touchdowns while battling a hamstring injury.

On Tuesday, the Raiders re-signed Jerry Porter, their star wide receiver, to a contract worth $20 million over five years. Porter could have become a free agent on March 2.

Once Moss leaves Minnesota, the Vikings' top receiver will be Nate Burleson. Former Steeler Plaxico Burress is the cream of the free-agent crop, but the Vikings could also snare a potential salary-cap casualty such as Isaac Bruce, Muhsin Muhammad or Derrick Mason. The draft also has two promising players -- Michigan's Braylon Edwards and USC's Mike Williams.

The Raiders will take on Moss' $7.25 million base salary for next season, while the Vikings will save nearly $2 million against their cap. Four seasons remain on Moss' eight-year $75 million contract.

Link

QUOTE (Presto45 @ Feb 23 2005, 10:24 PM)
Raiders will be better this fall, hopefully

Why would an "EAGLES/BROWNS" fan hope that? You should be hoping the BROWNS will be better. laugh.gif

Since my teams the 49ers I hope both Randy Moss and the Raiders have a bad year. I hope the Vikings are better after this deal. tongue.gif

QUOTE (Shane @ Feb 24 2005, 04:55 AM)
Since my teams the 49ers I hope both Randy Moss and the Raiders have a bad year. I hope the Vikings are better after this deal. tongue.gif

Being a 49ers fan you will get along swimmingly well with Testes as he is a diehard. yes.gif

QUOTE (Sark @ Feb 24 2005, 05:26 AM)
As a die-hard Vikes fan, I won't be shedding any tears over this!

Now maybe Mike Tice can sort of resurrect his career.... he's already one of the lowest paid coaches around, I've been wondering what would happen to him if he spent any longer in a Moss Minnesota... the Vikings will have a very good chance this year if Brett Favre decides to retire

QUOTE (spirit of radio @ Feb 24 2005, 04:58 AM)
QUOTE (Shane @ Feb 24 2005, 04:55 AM)

Being a 49ers fan you will get along swimmingly well with Testes as he is a diehard. yes.gif

Yep. I feel very optimistic bout them Niners. New coach...got rid of the salary cap deadweight...a season of character-building losing (though most of the time they lost close)...and some good young talent. trink39.gif To the Niners' future! As for the Raiders this deal will suck for them because they need defense not another whiny receiver. I thought they already got one of those in Porter.... 1287.gif yes.gif

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Feb 24 2005, 02:24 PM)
This is good for the Vikes, not so good for the Raiders. no.gif

Well, Terrell Owens caused chemistry problems in SF, went to Philly and thrived.. Dillon caused HUGE chemistry problems in Cincinatti, went to New England and thrived....... maybe Moss will do the same with the Raiders...

The only problem with that idea is that the two former players went to teams that were already contenders... I don't know that the Raiders are quite there yet.

This is a typical Al Davis move. The Raiders have always been well known for picking up players that nobody else wants and reaping huge dividends. This is not to say that the Raiders are going to contend next year because of this move, though. Either it will work or it won't. Who's to say what will happen?

Archived