Neil Young Appreciation!

ReRushed

I really despised him for along time , but recently came to a revelation................... that i enjoy him , and the music.

it just took me 26 years

When I was 15 one of my friends handed me a C90 with Harvest on one side and After The Goldrush on the other. 23 years later, he still enthralls me. Amazing man. Saw him in a marquee in Cork this year, probably my 5th Neil show, he's still got it.

Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere was my college album. Every time I play it, it brings me back to making a balls of Applied Physics Year 1.

I used to listen to Neil Young a lot in my teens. For some reason I don't listen to him that much anymore, but he will always hold a special place in my heart.

I saw him in concert twice, once with crazy horse in 2001, and once solo on the Greendale tour in 2003. Both concerts were awesome.

The man has made a lot of different albums in his life, some of them suck, and some of them are pure genius. My favorite albums are Everybody Knows This is Nowhere, After The Gold Rush, Rust Never Sleeps, Zuma and Broken Arrow. I also love the Dead Man soundtrack, his guitar sounds awesome on that one. Dead Man is a great movie by the way, Neil's soundtrack is perfect. Weld is a great live album. I wish he would get back together with Crazy Horse and make another classic Crazy Horse album...

QUOTE (ArrowSnake @ Nov 29 2008, 07:00 AM)

I wish he would get back together with Crazy Horse and make another classic Crazy Horse album...

I think as long as Neil is alive and kicking there will always be the possibility of an album with Crazy Horse.

Yeah it's been awhile since the last one (Greendale) but then again it was 7 years between Broken Arrow and Greendale.

the strange thing about neil young is that his voice is so bad that its brilliant(if that makes any sense)

he,s so off key sometimes its embarrasing but this is the genius of the man isnt it? who else can sing like a scalded cat and sell millions of albums? yes alright britney spears but you know what i mean 1022.gif

The Harvest album is awesome. "Out on the Weekend" is my favorite NY track.

The thing about him is: he's like Dylan and Springsteen. All three are capable of poetic lyrics, but sing poorly. tongue.gif

Buffalo Springfield to Greendale and beyond, there is brilliance in that career. (There are also some ill-conceived directional changes that flopped miserably; that 50's thing and the whole "Trans" phase leap to mind.)

For me, all the Crazy Horse work is just phenomenal. Live and studio, the chemistry is just right.

Through the 90's, I lost touch w/ him, excepting "Harvest Moon," which is a complete and worthy effort throughout. Otherwise, his work had become a bit dull, uninspired and repetitive to my ear. Greendale changed that for me in 2003. It's the Neil of old wailing away w/ Crazy Horse again, choking the hell out of his guitar to get that signature sound of his. They sound like they did, should, and will always; simply great. They are a total cohesive unit.

For anyone that lost touch, my favorite sleeper album by him is "Freedom," featuring the semi-hit "Rockin' in the Free World." The rest of the album is unadulterated rock combined w/ his penchant for experimentation. And this time, it all works. "Broadway is the only clunker on the disc. Give it a shot if you've never heard it. I bet copies are going for less than $3 on Amazon right now. trink39.gif

Good pick for a thread Re! trink39.gif

(Edited for typos.)

Edited by steelcaressed

Freedom is great. It's almost like he saved all the great songs he wrote in the 80's for that one album. He really did release some clunkers in the 80's but Freedom was a return to form and Ragged Glory is even better! I think it's the best album he did with Crazy Horse. Edited by ReRushed

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Dec 4 2008, 06:19 AM)
Freedom is great. It's almost like he saved all the great songs he wrote in the 80's for that one album. He really did release some clunkers in the 80's but Freedom was a return to form and Ragged Glory is even better! I think it's the best album he did with Crazy Horse.

Freedom and Ragged Glory are masterpieces.

Eldorado from Freedom gives me goose pimples, as does Wrecking Ball.

Ragged Glory is just one brilliant, angry, muthaf*kkin' epic.

QUOTE (steelcaressed @ Dec 4 2008, 11:43 AM)
I saw the Ragged Glory tour.

There were two warm-up acts. Are you ready for this?

Sonic Youth and Social Distortion.

It was a great show w/ a lot of younger folks in attendance who had never really listened to Neil.

Yep. I saw that tour, too.

The crowd I was in didn't "get" Sonic Youth!

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Dec 4 2008, 12:48 PM)

There were two warm-up acts.  Are you ready for this? 

It was a great show w/ a lot of younger folks in attendance who had never really listened to Neil.

I was w/ my better half, and she thought both of them were just too damn loud.

I loved RG myself, but I did recognize a few clunkers; Farmer John and F'n up spring to mind. Still, it was a noble return to that garage sound of yore.

QUOTE (steelcaressed @ Dec 4 2008, 11:10 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Dec 4 2008, 12:48 PM)

There were two warm-up acts.  Are you ready for this? 

I was w/ my better half, and she thought both of them were just too damn loud.

I loved RG myself, but I did recognize a few clunkers; Farmer John and F'n up spring to mind. Still, it was a noble return to that garage sound of yore.

I like f*ckin' Up! And Farmer John was tongue in cheek! Both are examples of Neil Young's sense of humor shining through!