Question About Archives

Let The Fray Begin

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (Let The Fray Begin @ Feb 23 2005, 09:32 AM)
If this question has been asked before I apologize.

On both the Rush website and on the poster that depicts all of Rush's albums, there is an Archives album listed. Yet, on the Rush website, it gives no track list, and I can't find out any information about it. Does anyone know what this is?

Yep, I had this one way back on cassette. It was basically the first three albums released in one package, not a real album in itself. trink39.gif Welcome to the board!

I'm currently putting together a little more information behind "Archives" on my tribute site (Rush Tribute @ Cygnus-X1).

Right now, I have tour information available (yes, Rush actually toured in support of Archives), but I'll soon be adding images, a review on the 3-album set and some more goodies...

Look for it soon-

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/images/albums/archives-thumb.jpg

-John

If you need any iformation like this, the best place to go is Power Windows which is, possibly, the most comprehensive Rush information site around. Another alternative is my own site, Rolled Bones which looks at Rush from a British perspective.

QUOTE (yyzyy @ Feb 23 2005, 08:46 PM)
I've looked everywhere and nobody has archives on CD!! Stores, websites...I guess I'll have to try ebay!

I don't think it was actually released on CD. Initially, it was put out as a cheap way for latecoming fans (like myself) to catch up with the first three albums which didn't get a UK release. With the CD releases, especially the remasters, there seems little point in releasing it.

QUOTE (sfuentes @ Feb 24 2005, 02:11 AM)
It would be very nice, but not likely, if Archives was released again, but this time in DVD format, with all of the songs from those first three albums accompanied with a video.

That would be nice.... wouldn't mind seeing videos for some of the more obscure videos smile.gif

Take yourself a friend!

Keep em till the end smile.gif

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Feb 23 2005, 05:58 PM)
QUOTE (yyzyy @ Feb 23 2005, 08:46 PM)
I've looked everywhere and nobody has archives on CD!!  Stores, websites...I guess I'll have to try ebay!

I don't think it was actually released on CD. Initially, it was put out as a cheap way for latecoming fans (like myself) to catch up with the first three albums which didn't get a UK release. With the CD releases, especially the remasters, there seems little point in releasing it.

Right. And the 'lack-luster' performance of COS was another factor in the Archives release, to help bolster sales of COS by packaging it with the more succesfull first two LPs. Not a bad marketing idea... not sure if it worked all that well, but it certainly didn't hurt anything! Also there are actually 2 releases of Archives. The original grey cover, and than a limited re-release black cover (FYI, obviously the more 'collectable' of the 2, if anyone is looking for this on LP anyway). smile.gif

It is my understanding that Archives was released for a couple reasons:

1. Because Rush was getting bigger as band and they wanted to bundle their pre-2112 albums in one package to promote sales; and

2. Hemispheres was taking longer to make and the record company saw this as a perfect opportunity to put this out. Not to mention by this time they already played 2 UK tours, and most UK fans likely only first heard of them with 2112.

Archived