I was on the Radio today...

afansince74

The radio station I listen to has a rock trivia question every afternoon. Nobody ever gets it right at first and I always want to call in but don't... til today! Over the noise of the circular saw I was using, I hear the names Zivojinovich and Weinrib in the background, so I instinctively stop and listen. They're already getting answers to the question I haven't even heard yet (well, guesses really!) but none of 'em are even close! Man, I was scramblin' trying to find the number and get through! wacko.gif I don't even care what the question is! I figure I'll answer whatever it is when I get through! They take 5-6 calls at a time(all wrong answers, of course) and then play a song. They repeat this at least 3 rounds (3 that I heard anyway) before I finally get through! By this time I've heard the question... What band members real names are Zivojinovich and Weinrib, and what band do they play in? OK, now I'm foaming at the mouth and franticlly dialing. My call gets dropped once when it was ringing mad.gif and now I'm starting to 'talk back' to the radio while I'm dialing! wacko.gif Well, I finally get through, get to answer, and of course I get it right... you'd have been so proud of me(insert a little emoticon patting himself on the back here!) I won some tickets to some diner/drinks/live-band party in a nearby town (about 1 1/2 hrs. away) where that radio station originates from. I probably won't be able to go to the free party sad.gif but who cares... (singing...) I won the contest, I won the contest, I won the contest! tongue.gif biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Let The Fray Begin @ Feb 23 2005, 06:42 AM)
That's awesome smile.gif I gave up trying the radio contests, especially around here because our only good radio station never takes requests or does those contests... their motto is "We play what we want when we want" but kudos to you for getting it smile.gif

Where's that fray?

Great job 74!! Man, that must have felt good!

Haven't won any radio contests myself (don't listen to it much anyway) - but I do remember helping to win a Fraternity trivia contest when they asked,

"Who was Rush' original drummer?"

Too easy.

cool.gif

Schro

QUOTE (slacker @ Feb 23 2005, 07:15 AM)
QUOTE (Let The Fray Begin @ Feb 23 2005, 06:42 AM)
That's awesome smile.gif I gave up trying the radio contests, especially around here because our only good radio station never takes requests or does those contests... their motto is "We play what we want when we want" but kudos to you for getting it smile.gif

Where's that fray?

In Vancouver, Canada, its called Jack FM... they play some good 70s and 80s stuff, mostly 80s.... there's also a Classic Rock 101 which has some good stuff but I don't listen to them all that often....... our city is very mulitcultural so there's a lot of foreign language radio stations on the air, as well as the normal slew of pop/hip hop, so my selection is limited.

Well, I didn't tell you everything because I wasn't sure what was going to happen, but here's the rest of this story...

As I said eairlier, the radio station that I called is in a town about an hour and a half away, and it just so happens that's where Rushfreak and Pixey live, whom some of you know, I'm sure. So, the whole time this ordeal of trying to call in is going on, I'm thinking to myself "Man, RF's gonna be listening and he's gonna beat me to the punch!" laugh.gif so it's making me all the more frantic to get through! I just knew I was gonna hear his voice on the radio! (that would have been just as cool though, if not moreso, actually!)

Well, anyway, as I said, I'm 90% sure I'm not gonna be able to make it up there for the party that I won the tickets to, sad.gif but didn't want to waste 'em either, so it's just like RF called in after all, 'cause he's gonna p/u the tickets so he and Pixey can go. applaudit.gif We're gonna try to meet up with them there if there's any way possible for me, but I'm an independent contractor and my partner and I have got a house we have to finish before we can get the final payout on it, so we've been kinda scrambling these past couple weeks, and weekends too, to just get it done! I doubt we'll be finished by then sad.gif but you never know?! So Keep your eyes peeled RF, Pixey... we just might end up suprising you there... who knows... I'm just gonna try to stay optimistic! smile.gif And, of course, work my A** off the next 3 days! comp26.gif <---(instead of the monitor, please picture, in your mind, a 2x4 or something laugh.gif )

Well, here's an update to this story. And it is Rush related too! I hope I'm not 'crossing any lines' here, and if I am, I'm sorry, but I wanted to share Rushfreaks story and mine with you, so I copied his and posted it here. confused13.gif I hope that's O.K.? Anyway, here's what happened....

from Rushfreak:

Thanks for those tickets Bryan, we still wish that you two could have made it up here. 'Circumstances' always get in the way of us meeting in person, I still can't believe that we stayed at neighboring hotels at the KC show last summer and didn't meet :rc: We went to the party today, which was essentailly a big 'best of our area' party. Springfields new convention center full of area businesses giving out samples the whole time, including about 20 restaurants, 8 wineries, and 3 breweries. Needless to say I sampled all the wines and brews. I'll keep this short since this is now really not RUSH related anymore but one of the coolest things that happened made it seem kind of like destiny that we went. Remember that Afansince74 won these tickets by answering a RUSH question on the radio, wasn't able to go and gave the tix to Pixey and I. This event is in no way RUSH related and that's where the references should have ended, but as we were entering the center a police officer asked for our id's (I love being 35 and still getting carded) and when Pixey turned around he noticed her Starman shirt and said, " Hey, did you go see those guys last summer?? They put on a great show. I saw them in Indianapolis, WOW, they put on such a great show" We then ended up standing there talking to the cop for a few before entering(of course). It just seemed funny that a RUSH fan (since 74 ) won the tix on a RUSH question, gave them to another RUSH fan, and the first thing mentioned when we got there was RUSH That's where the RUSH ended though, the bands were country, blues and a guy with a guitar (it is the Ozarks). We had a great time, got stuffed and Pixey even got a little tipsey. Thanks again Afansince74!!!!!!!!!!

Back to me now:

And you'd think that's where the RUSH references ended, wouldn't you? But you'd be wrong! Get this... today, I was trying to finish up a house I'm building and that's why we couldn't go and meet up with Mike and Lisa. So I'm working with my partner and the homeowners are at their parents house accross the street. We go over to talk with them and on the way back across the street Jarrett (my business partner) points out the street sign. I've never seen it from that side before, and for some reason the other side is completely different (know idea why), but we grabbed my camera and took this picture.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v303/bsbaker/IM008993.jpg

That's me (of course doh.gif ) and the house we're building. I was thinking of you two and how ironic this was when it was taken today, about the same time the event there was starting, around 1pm. And then you guys too at the event itself??!! How wild is that!! How much more of a Rush connection to this story can you possibly get here? Unless 'the boys' themselves showed up, in place of that guy with a guitar, you'd be hard-pressed to connect this any more! But then again..........

Susan and I are just so very glad you guys had such a great time. 653.gif We really are!!! And look forward to seeing you two in the very near future! yes.gif

2.gif

Awesome!!

I love the fact that a radio station would actually ask a question like that! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Archived