Fridge The Recording Artist?.....

Fridge

Folks

I have finally plucked up the courage to attempt a recording of an original song of mine.

A couple of points: As is obvious, I am not a vocalist, nor am I a virtuoso musician. It needs a little work here and there IMO, but I would be interested in some constructive opinions, or just whether you like the song or not!

It's called Pistols At Dawn and was inspired by all these cheesy Spaghetti Westerns I used to love....

If I get an encouraging response I may well post some more of my noodlings.

http://www.reverbnation.com/fridge2

Cool.

(I've not actually listened to it, because I'm too busy thinking of posts to make with hate filled invective, but full marks for trying, I'll give it a whirl when I get through the pile of CDs that arrived in the pots today.............

That's pretty good Fridge! A little punky with a little Dire Straits feel to some of the guitar parts...

I can see it being used in a Tarantino film, maybe with Glenn Danzig on vocals

Glenn >>>> cool10.gif "Pistols at dawn!! Yeah!! Blood will be spilled again at dawn!!

1287.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif applaudit.gif

I've given it three listens so far. Here are some thoughts:

Yep, the vocals need some work. wink.gif It's common for someone who is uneasy about their vocals to drown them in reverb and echo, which you've done here. I'm no vocalist (not at ALL), so I have no advice to give. It's why all my ideas are better suited to instrumentals. tongue.gif

The song is catchy and well arranged. Good chord progressions. I liked the contrast between the verses and the choruses. Good choice going with a cleaner tone for the verses and the little solos after the choruses.

The heavier tone in the choruses sounded nice and thick, but your mix has the guitar a little too much in the background. You didn't overdo the distortion, which is good.

I really liked your solo at 3:00 -- good playing there. The quiet part at 3:50 is very nice coming off the solo and chorus. The arpeggios following the clean single note stuff are beautiful, with just the right effects. My favorite part of the whole song, actually.

However, the big "BANG BANG!"...nope, didn't work for me. I wonder if gunshot sound effects would work better there.

There is PLENTY there to warrant another song. Looking forward to the next one. trink39.gif

I agree alot with 73.......some good points made. I told Fridge that I hear a little Talking Heads on this track (especially on the vocals)........overall I really like the song, and am anxious to hear more.........

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Nov 5 2008, 12:24 AM)

Yep, the vocals need some work.  wink.gif  It's common for someone who is uneasy about their vocals to drown them in reverb and echo, which you've done here. I'm no vocalist (not at ALL), so I have no advice to give. It's why all my ideas are better suited to instrumentals. tongue.gif

The song is catchy and well arranged. Good chord progressions. I liked the contrast between the verses and the choruses. Good choice going with a cleaner tone for the verses and the little solos after the choruses.

The heavier tone in the choruses sounded nice and thick, but your mix has the guitar a little too much in the background. You didn't overdo the distortion, which is good.

I really liked your solo at 3:00 -- good playing there. The quiet part at 3:50 is very nice coming off the solo and chorus. The arpeggios following the clean single note stuff are beautiful, with just the right effects. My favorite part of the whole song, actually.

However, the big "BANG BANG!"...nope, didn't work for me. I wonder if gunshot sound effects would work better there.

There is PLENTY there to warrant another song. Looking forward to the next one. trink39.gif

Thanks very much for the constructive criticism mate, it's greatly appreciated.

I was aware of the bang bang bit, and thought of gunshots, also cheers for the heads up on the chorus.

I have modified the song to suit, adding in sampled gunshots and beefing up the chorus guitar slightly, and I agree it is certainly an improvement trink39.gif

The vocals I can't do too much about just now wink.gif , but I'm hoping that the singer in my band will be able to come and lay down some better vox for me when we get the time.

I'm also gratified that a guitarist as skilled as yourself liked one of my solos ohmy.gif

Anyway, have a listen and see what you think.

Thanks to everyone else for the appreciation, and I will maybe post more later if I get a chance to do vocals of some kind

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Fridge @ Nov 5 2008, 05:55 PM)

Ok, I have bitten the bullet and uploaded another song, this one is called Hot Knife. Once again, please excuse the dreadful vocals, I fully intend to re-record all these with a decent singer when I get the chance

I liked it Fridge. Its got a good hook. I'd gladly do the vocal track if I had the means to. trink39.gif atickhum.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Nov 5 2008, 10:12 PM)
QUOTE (Fridge @ Nov 5 2008, 05:55 PM)

Ok, I have bitten the bullet and uploaded another song, this one is called Hot Knife. Once again, please excuse the dreadful vocals, I fully intend to re-record all these with a decent singer when I get the chance

I liked it Fridge. Its got a good hook. I'd gladly do the vocal track if I had the means to. trink39.gif atickhum.gif

Cheers mate

I've heard your vocals and I would take you up on your offer in a flash. Please let me know if you are ever able to..I'm serious trink39.gif

BTW, I've uploaded another..no vox this time.

QUOTE (steelcaressed @ Nov 8 2008, 02:54 AM)
Good work Fridge. I enjoyed.

73 is right on---that solo at 3:00 is just sweeeeet! trink39.gif

trink39.gif

Thanks Mate

I've just added another one called "Fear behind A Door" which I would appreciate comments on, though I am becoming increasingly frustrated with my ineptitude as a vocalist....

QUOTE (Cowtothesky @ Nov 8 2008, 01:34 AM)
Nice work Fridge! This is your first recordings? - damn good.
Keep it flowing.

Thanks mate. I really like your stuff as well.

it's very encouraging to get good feedback from your peers like this. yes.gif

QUOTE (Fridge @ Nov 5 2008, 02:19 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Nov 5 2008, 12:24 AM)

Yep, the vocals need some work.  wink.gif  It's common for someone who is uneasy about their vocals to drown them in reverb and echo, which you've done here. I'm no vocalist (not at ALL), so I have no advice to give. It's why all my ideas are better suited to instrumentals. tongue.gif

Thanks very much for the constructive criticism mate, it's greatly appreciated.

I was aware of the bang bang bit, and thought of gunshots, also cheers for the heads up on the chorus.

I have modified the song to suit, adding in sampled gunshots and beefing up the chorus guitar slightly, and I agree it is certainly an improvement trink39.gif

Yep, those little tweaks made a difference. The choruses hit harder now, like they're supposed to coming off the cleaner verses. And the gunshots work better, too. The second set of gunshots didn't need to be as loud as the first, but it's not something you need to go back and re-adjust and re-upload or anything. Nice work!

QUOTE (Fridge @ Nov 5 2008, 04:55 PM)

Hmmm...first we had "Pistols At Dawn," then you "bit the bullet" and posted "Hot Knife." I'm sensing a pattern here. Two words: Anger Management. Or maybe Weapons Training. tongue.gif

I like this song better (and I liked the first one). The chord changes at the end of each verse are really cool. The bridge at 2:18 is VERY nice. The octave climb and the rhythm track behind it are excellent. Perfect. Best part of the song. Perfect lead-in to the solo.

Good wah tone in the solo, and good playing for the first half of it, but it sounds like your timing went a little astray towards the end. The flow you had going was lost, IMO.

The key change after the solo was spot on. Good way to ride the song out. And kudos for ending the song right there...leave 'em wanting more!

I'd love to hear these songs with a human drummer, and yeah, a better vocalist. yes.gif wink.gif

Well, im a drummer, and im up for a challenge.

If you want, I could give recording drum tracks a go. If you want me to give it a go, drop me a PM.

I have listened to "Hot Knife", and it seems do-able.

[edit]

So does Pistols at Dawn smile.gif

Just realised Fridge that we live quite near each other.

Edited by spiderbait90

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Nov 17 2008, 08:45 PM)
QUOTE (Fridge @ Nov 5 2008, 04:55 PM)

Hmmm...first we had "Pistols At Dawn," then you "bit the bullet" and posted "Hot Knife." I'm sensing a pattern here. Two words: Anger Management. Or maybe Weapons Training. tongue.gif

I like this song better (and I liked the first one). The chord changes at the end of each verse are really cool. The bridge at 2:18 is VERY nice. The octave climb and the rhythm track behind it are excellent. Perfect. Best part of the song. Perfect lead-in to the solo.

Good wah tone in the solo, and good playing for the first half of it, but it sounds like your timing went a little astray towards the end. The flow you had going was lost, IMO.

The key change after the solo was spot on. Good way to ride the song out. And kudos for ending the song right there...leave 'em wanting more!

I'd love to hear these songs with a human drummer, and yeah, a better vocalist. yes.gif wink.gif

Once again, thanks for the feedback mate, it is greatly appreciated yes.gif

Maybe you're right, and there is a Freudian psychosis lurking in there being expressed through the music!

I fully intend to record some of these with real drums and a better singer as soon as I can, so that should iron out some of the problems. I think the guys in my band will help out with this.

You know, I forgot to fix the solo...damn thats annoying. It wasn't so much that it was badly played, it's just that I screwed up the latency settings when I recorded the second half of it . Never mind, I'll just re-record it when I get home.

This is really encouraging, and I reckon I will try and make more of an effort in future. I've got loads of snippets and half-finisherd things on the go.....

I like "Fear Behind the Door" it starts off with Rushlike chords too! he song as a whole works very well and is very well realised. Nice work mate. The vocals may not be as good as a top pro vocalist but they're not bad and the important thing is you've got the melody lines down so a vocalist can come straight in and sing them, if that's how you decide to go.

I can't get Hot Knife to work beyond the first three seconds. The three seconds I hear are a good sounding riff, making me think of Brian May, but then I'm on a Queen kick this week...

Does it stop and then start again? That might be a good idea actually for the opening...

Wait a sec it's working now, well it was I think it's up to 15 seconds now, sounds like decent riff anyway...

Now Fear Behind the Door is on again!! yeah that's a Rush-like intro for sure!! More punk/new wave-style vocals though...

EDIT: I think that Rush bit just before the solo reminds me a little of that section of Circumstances just before they bring the chorus in again at the end. I could be wrong though...

Edited by treeduck

QUOTE (treeduck @ Nov 18 2008, 09:08 AM)
I like "Fear Behind the Door" it starts off with Rushlike chords too! he song as a whole works very well and is very well realised. Nice work mate. The vocals may not be as good as a top pro vocalist but they're not bad and the important thing is you've got the melody lines down so a vocalist can come straight in and sing them, if that's how you decide to go.

I can't get Hot Knife to work beyond the first three seconds. The three seconds I hear are a good sounding riff, making me think of Brian May, but then I'm on a Queen kick this week...

Does it stop and then start again? That might be a good idea actually for the opening...

Wait a sec it's working now, well it was I think it's up to 15 seconds now, sounds like decent riff anyway...

Now Fear Behind the Door is on again!! yeah that's a Rush-like intro for sure!! More punk/new wave-style vocals though...

EDIT: I think that Rush bit just before the solo reminds me a little of that section of Circumstances just before they bring the chorus in again at the end. I could be wrong though...

trink39.gif

Cheers for the feedback Ducky, yeah there is a little bit of Rush in there, though I had Kings X more in mind at the time.

With the feedback I'm getting from you guys, I may well try and do something with these once I get the vocals sorted....

Let me know what you think about Hot Knife if you can get it working...

Edited by Fridge