Rush Remasters

GhostGirl

Anybody else spring for these? I did...

The last two didn't really need the remastering (in my oh so humble opinion) but I got 'em anyway. The first two sound almost the same to me...still not much bass.

Just wondering if anyone else has any thoughts on this.

smile.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Sep 7 2004, 11:33 PM)
Anybody else spring for these? I did...

The last two didn't really need the remastering (in my oh so humble opinion) but I got 'em anyway. The first two sound almost the same to me...still not much bass.

smile.gif

Didn't know they were out - will pick all up eventually too trink38.gif

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Sep 7 2004, 10:51 PM)
Anybody else spring for these?  I did...

The last two didn't really need the remastering (in my oh so humble opinion) but I got 'em anyway.  The first two sound almost the same to me...still not much bass.

smile.gif

Didn't know they were out - will pick all up eventually too trink38.gif

I'll be waiting anxiously for your opinion!

biggrin.gif

I will probably pick up Presto and RTB first. I never really liked the way they were mixed, way too much high end. CP and T4E I will pick up eventually.

Tell you the truth, I probably wont pick any of them up for a while, right now I'm looking in to other bands and trying to get back into classical music again, so would rather spend my buck in that way. I already have do have all the Rush cds, and will buy each new one upon release, but as for ones I already have, I can afford to wait on it.

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Sep 7 2004, 11:05 PM)
I will probably pick up Presto and RTB first. I never really liked the way they were mixed, way too much high end...

Exactly! I really want to see if you guys think these remasters show a big improvement.

I'll get Presto and RTB, because I don't have them on CD, CP and T4E I have on CD and am very happy with. Agree totally with RR re : VT.

As has been said before on the CP board, the instrumental snippets on "The Boys in Brazil" documentary sound great, particularly Nocturne in my book.

I think they could do VT, and issue it would a bonus DVD of material recorded on the R30 tour. That, I will DEFINITELY buy!!!!

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Sep 8 2004, 07:02 AM)
The first two sound almost the same to me...still not much bass.

wacko.gif then why did they bother wacko.gif I don't get it.

Yep...my point exactly. It's a bit bewildering to me.

wacko.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Sep 8 2004, 09:32 AM)
QUOTE (Snowdog @ Sep 8 2004, 07:02 AM)
The first two sound almost the same to me...still not much bass.

wacko.gif then why did they bother wacko.gif I don't get it.

Yep...my point exactly. It's a bit bewildering to me.

wacko.gif

I wonder if this means VT will still sound "muddy" when it comes out? wacko.gif

"VT is supposed to be done as well but i think it's fine as is...i remember when VT first came out alot of people complained about the sound of it"

Yikes!!! I love VT, the music, the lyrics, but it is one awful sounding CD and very hard to listen to through a good playback system sad.gif. I ran across this article called Over the Limit, Ceiling Limited that explains why:

http://www.prorec.com/prorec/articles.nsf/...6256C2E005DAF1C

What it all comes down to is the record label destroying the original recordings to further some distorted idea of better marketing. I am very surprised that the band has not spoken up about it. It is recognized that all recordings become 'normalized' and adjusted for market release, but usually the harm done can be lived with (unless one has been exposed to the original in unaltered form). With VT this sonic adjustment was taken to extremes and even the author of this article, a professional, can't understand why.

So, personally I hope that VT is remastered and this time to remove the vast compression and restore the music that has been stolen from all of us.

You know that some remasterings of older material was actually done to bring the music up to modern standards. What that means is to make the overall volume as loud as newer compressed recordings. So, in effect the remasters were made compressed to sound good on a boom box and/or car stereo and much worse on Hi End equipment. They were a step, no - a jump, backwards.

Dave

Welcome, Dave. Great name you've got there.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Sep 11 2004, 10:08 AM)
Welcome, Dave. Great name you've got there.

Perfect time for my 2001 smiley:

dave.gif and welcome to TRF.

wink.gif

Archived