ghost rider (book)

08leader

It had a major effect on me.

It's a little slow in parts, maybe because Neil was trying to write for so many audiences (travel, Rush fans, grieving, cyclists, etc.) but the essence of it is really powerful....

What's your favorite part so far, 08?

QUOTE (08leader @ Feb 19 2005, 06:48 PM)
have either of you read the masked rider or his other one? I hear they're good also

I've read The Masked Rider and I'm currently reading it to my 8 Year old for bedtime...it's very good, challenging and funny.

Traveling Music is really good, too.

Neil made a few comments somewhere that makes me think that he's writing one about the band's history. I'll try to look that one up. Or check on previous threads about Neil's books, I'm sure it's there.

QUOTE (Sweetmiracle @ Feb 20 2005, 09:42 AM)
QUOTE (08leader @ Feb 19 2005, 10:13 PM)
funny really?

Yes, really. My son laughs a lot and frequently asks for 'rice with junk on it'!

Lot of character lessons in there, too...

What a great idea, Sweetmiracle. I never thought of reading it to my son. I bet he would enjoy it tremendously. smile.gif Thanks for the idea.

btw - beware the fat lizard ph34r.gif

As most of the TRF oldtimers know, I'm fond of saying that Ghost Rider changed my life in too many ways to enumerate. I loved the humor, the pain, the intelligence, the humanness that Neil allowed us to share. Even with its happy ending, Neil remained realistic, and that above all else convinced me of the strength and fortitude he possesses.

"Sometimes I can almost sustain the high-minded sentiment that it was worth the pain of losing Jackie and Selena for the joy of having known them. I don't know if I will ever be able to embrace that notion, but the important thing is I embrace today---the joy of knowing Carrie, and the inspiration of being loved by her. Without her, Vapor Trails would not have been made, and this book would not have been written.

'Dedicated to the future, with honor to the past.'"

And that's what it's all about, in my opinion.

Just finished Ghost Rider recently, and have started on Traveling Music. I'm looking forward to finishing it, because I enjoyed Ghost Rider a lot. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I enjoyed reading Ghost Rider!! It made me want to get a bike and ride across the prarie roads and just cruise on out! Im glad that by doing this, Neil healed and found some great new people to fire him up in his life again! Great read, 100% Slammz approved!! tongue.gif

I read a rather interesting review on amazon.ca....

Fair travel log, July 5, 2003

Reviewer: dash8 from N. Olmsted, OH United States

It seems the main point of releasing this book was so that Neil Peart wouldn't have to answer every pesky Rush fan's questions about what happened to him since the loss of his wife and child; not that he cared much for the fans anyway. After all, how can you be friendly with strangers? It's better to avoid your fans than appear to be mean to them. I actually agree with this policy given the fact that some fans can't tell the difference between Neil Peart's public and personal life. This book is overall raw and unedited, but it gives a fair quality, real life account of motor bike travel in North America. Skipping the nonsense letters to Neil's drug dealing friend and it would have been a better travel book. Peart's contempt for ugly, fat, drunken Americans is disappointing. Americans are no more ugly, fat, and drunk than Canadians or even Mexicans for that matter. I've seen them too! How can the creator of Rush lyrics seem so petty? It's simple. I think Peart uses the deaths of his wife and child as a permission slip to put down others; if making fun of others makes one fell good, that's childish. Being a great fan of Rush and prog rock in general, I think Peart's philosophical lessons were lost on himself. One theme is to have righteous determination with reserved judgment on others. Peart should have held on to this, but he did not in the face of adversity. The real healing of his life is when he got remarried. His new wife is was what brought Neil Peart (and Rush, thankfully) back. Given the very short number of pages dealing with this private recovery, one could just read the last few pages and skip nearly all the book if that's all you wanted to know; that's ironic given the title. The book leaves me with mixed feelings. It's sad to see an enlightened libertarian thinker act more like a hate-filled, mean-spirited, left-wing liberal elitist at times. I would only buy this book for the fair travel narratives, but nothing else. As I don't care personally for celebrities, the feelings I have for Neil Peart, I'm sure are mutual.

Is Neil really that spiteful? I know he's private, but he doesn't strike me as hateful...

I think most everyone can toss about philosophical ideas for dealing with grief and heartache. It's often quite a different matter to put those philosophies into practice when you lose someone you love.

I'm not defending any overly harsh comments Neil made in GR, but I think his grief over the unfairness of what life dealt him made him quite bitter for a time.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Feb 20 2005, 02:36 PM)
As most of the TRF oldtimers know, I'm fond of saying that Ghost Rider changed my life in too many ways to enumerate. I loved the humor, the pain, the intelligence, the humanness that Neil allowed us to share. Even with its happy ending, Neil remained realistic, and that above all else convinced me of the strength and fortitude he possesses.

"Sometimes I can almost sustain the high-minded sentiment that it was worth the pain of losing Jackie and Selena for the joy of having known them. I don't know if I will ever be able to embrace that notion, but the important thing is I embrace today---the joy of knowing Carrie, and the inspiration of being loved by her. Without her, Vapor Trails would not have been made, and this book would not have been written.

'Dedicated to the future, with honor to the past.'"

And that's what it's all about, in my opinion.

Me too GG. I read this last summer as my life was changed by outside forces, not as bad as Neil's, but it certainly sucked hard for a good 5 months. I just happened to be reading this when the stuff hit the fan. It really helped me out.

I have also read Masked Rider & Traveling Music they are good as well.

I'm not sure Neil is really harsh in his comments observing people. I think he just tells like it is, without any of the sugar-coating or pc-ness that seems so prevalent today. I enjoyed his commentary about life & people.

QUOTE (Let The Fray Begin @ Feb 24 2005, 02:56 PM)
I read a rather interesting review on amazon.ca....

Fair travel log, July 5, 2003
Reviewer: dash8 from N. Olmsted, OH United States

It seems the main point of releasing this book was so that Neil Peart wouldn't have to answer every pesky Rush fan's questions about what happened to him since the loss of his wife and child; not that he cared much for the fans anyway. After all, how can you be friendly with strangers? It's better to avoid your fans than appear to be mean to them. I actually agree with this policy given the fact that some fans can't tell the difference between Neil Peart's public and personal life. This book is overall raw and unedited, but it gives a fair quality, real life account of motor bike travel in North America. Skipping the nonsense letters to Neil's drug dealing friend and it would have been a better travel book. Peart's contempt for ugly, fat, drunken Americans is disappointing. Americans are no more ugly, fat, and drunk than Canadians or even Mexicans for that matter. I've seen them too! How can the creator of Rush lyrics seem so petty? It's simple. I think Peart uses the deaths of his wife and child as a permission slip to put down others; if making fun of others makes one fell good, that's childish. Being a great fan of Rush and prog rock in general, I think Peart's philosophical lessons were lost on himself. One theme is to have righteous determination with reserved judgment on others. Peart should have held on to this, but he did not in the face of adversity. The real healing of his life is when he got remarried. His new wife is was what brought Neil Peart (and Rush, thankfully) back. Given the very short number of pages dealing with this private recovery, one could just read the last few pages and skip nearly all the book if that's all you wanted to know; that's ironic given the title. The book leaves me with mixed feelings. It's sad to see an enlightened libertarian thinker act more like a hate-filled, mean-spirited, left-wing liberal elitist at times. I would only buy this book for the fair travel narratives, but nothing else. As I don't care personally for celebrities, the feelings I have for Neil Peart, I'm sure are mutual.

Is Neil really that spiteful? I know he's private, but he doesn't strike me as hateful...

Let the writer of that review lose what Neil did, and then try to keep his disposition all peaches and cream!

QUOTE (Elwood @ Mar 8 2005, 11:05 AM)
I've read all 3 and I must say that I look at life a bit differently these days.
Peart often refers in Ghost Rider to "the fool I used to be" - that got me thinking.

Welcome to the board! trink39.gif

QUOTE (Elwood @ Mar 8 2005, 10:05 AM)
I've read all 3 and I must say that I look at life a bit differently these days.
Peart often refers in Ghost Rider to "the fool I used to be" - that got me thinking.

Me, too. Also (even though some people thought this analogy was corny) I really liked the "taking my little baby soul" for a ride. That phrase really hit home with me...trying to overcome pain, feeling a little hopeful...but being so hesitant to risk being hurt again.

I'm currently half way through Travelling Music and am enjoying the heck out of it. What a great read!!

One thing I am interested in (in fact I should probly be doing it since I'm reading it), is a list that includes all the music that Neil refers to in the book. He's certainly piqued my interest in a number of them, but I'm afraid I'll forget alot of the band names and albums once I'm done, and it would be challenging to find them all again.

GG - anything out there like this? Or should I start working on it?

cool.gif

Schro

Yes I will actually be buying this book today. I had to choose a book to do a report on. First thing to mind..."Ghost Rider." And besides I have always wanted this book anyways.

Archived