FOOD

Janie

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rolinda Bonz @ Oct 31 2008, 07:48 PM)
QUOTE (Janie @ Oct 15 2008, 12:40 PM)
QUOTE (Marathonist @ Oct 15 2008, 12:02 PM)
Janie, I want your chicken curry recipe!  I love Indian food; if I lived in England it'd be takeaway curries every night.

It usually turns out well when I make it on the stovetop. I've only tried it once in the crock pot. I don't have a "recipe" as of right now but here are the ingredients. The next time I make it, I'm planning on writing the amount of everything down. So, from the top of my head:

COCONUT CHICKEN CURRY ala Janie

ohmy.gif

my sister's gonna LUV this! yes.gif

thank you for sharing new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I hope she does like it! smile.gif

QUOTE (telegraphcreeklocal @ Nov 3 2008, 05:47 PM)
QUOTE (Janie @ Nov 3 2008, 01:35 PM)
Here are two of my favorite chicken dishes. There are both SO incredibly easy.
MUSTARD AND ROSEMARY ROASTED GAME HENS

MAPLE CHICKEN WINGS

Are these your very own recipes, they're awesome. 2.gif 1022.gif

Nope. These, I cannot take credit for.

MUSTARD AND ROSEMARY ROASTED GAME HENS came from epicurious.com. I altered the original recipe though after reading through everyone's comments about the dish.

MAPLE CHICKEN WINGS came from a program on the Food Network called, Calling All Cooks. It was a show where viewers submitted their favorite recipes and then they were filmed making their dishes. Great show. I didn't alter this recipe at all because it's perfect!

A lot of times I will experiment, if it's carefully thought out you won't have to throw it out!

The other night I cooked cheese tortellini, added artichoke hearts, tomatoes, minced garlic (fresh out of the garden) and grated parmesan cheese.

It was yummy! Took left overs to work the next day and got a lot of compliments on the smell. cool.gif

QUOTE (udanax @ Nov 9 2008, 08:53 AM)
I cooked dinner for my family last night........ chop chop chop chop chop chop

My hands smell like garlic today. I made a really good Thai stir fry in a peanut butter honey garlic orange pepper soy sauce.

Sounds great!! Do you have the recipe? biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Marathonist @ Nov 9 2008, 06:47 PM)
QUOTE (Rolinda Bonz @ Oct 31 2008, 09:48 PM)
QUOTE (Janie @ Oct 15 2008, 12:40 PM)
QUOTE (Marathonist @ Oct 15 2008, 12:02 PM)
Janie, I want your chicken curry recipe!  I love Indian food; if I lived in England it'd be takeaway curries every night.

It usually turns out well when I make it on the stovetop. I've only tried it once in the crock pot. I don't have a "recipe" as of right now but here are the ingredients. The next time I make it, I'm planning on writing the amount of everything down. So, from the top of my head:

COCONUT CHICKEN CURRY ala Janie

ohmy.gif

my sister's gonna LUV this! yes.gif

thank you for sharing new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Everyone should try this! It's awesome! yes.gif

I made it last night and got raves from the male unit.

I'm so glad you and "the male unit" ( laugh.gif ) enjoyed the dish. That makes me happy to hear especially since this is something I love but also a dish that was an experiment.

Yeah! Thanks for the feedback! smile.gif

Whenever there is a holiday, I get the job of salad patrol. Why?

everyone either likes this salad, or they don't know what else to tell me to bring, because most of my cooking is experimental and they don't want to take any chances! laugh.gif

So, tomorrow as I head for the Island of Long (NY) to visit all my inlaws, I will be bringing this along...

Spinach Salad with Walnuts, Cranberries, and Apricots from the Tufts University School of Nutrition:

1 bag baby spinach

1 pt. Grape tomatoes

1/3 cup chopped walnuts

1/3 cup dried cranberries

1/3 cup dried apricots

Crumbled feta cheese

Annie's Organic Red Wine & Olive Oil Vinaigrette

Put everything in a large bowl except for the feta cheese and the vinaigrette and toss.

Season with vinaigrette and sprinke with feta to your liking.

I usually double this recipe.

Thats it! smile.gif

i kept meaning to post in here about this website that came into my email box some time ago, and kept forgetting.

that is, until someone bumped this thread! (Thanks librarian!!)

Go to THIS WEB SITE and scroll down the left hand column and click on HOLIDAY RECIPES. there will you find about any kind of candy or cookie recipe you could possible image!!

the rest of the site looks pretty fun for those with little ones, or those who are kids at heart!..anyway, now there ya go!

QUOTE (librarian @ Nov 26 2008, 12:43 PM)
Whenever there is a holiday, I get the job of salad patrol. Why?
everyone either likes this salad, or they don't know what else to tell me to bring, because most of my cooking is experimental and they don't want to take any chances! laugh.gif

So, tomorrow as I head for the Island of Long (NY) to visit all my inlaws, I will be bringing this along...

Spinach Salad with Walnuts, Cranberries, and Apricots from the Tufts University School of Nutrition:

1 bag baby spinach
1 pt. Grape tomatoes
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1/3 cup dried apricots
Crumbled feta cheese
Annie's Organic Red Wine & Olive Oil Vinaigrette

Put everything in a large bowl except for the feta cheese and the vinaigrette and toss.

Season with vinaigrette and sprinke with feta to your liking.

I usually double this recipe.

Thats it! smile.gif

Oh, does that sound good, librarian!

I love to try new things and this sounds great.

I'd make it for tomorrow, but I already have my pasta salad made. I'm going to try this. Christmas smile.gif

ladi, thanks for posting the link. I'll take a look at it wub.gif

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Nov 27 2008, 08:01 AM)
I have a suggestion for my Thanksgiving dinner: GET IN MY BELLY!!! yes.gif

Yeah boy!

bumper.gif ing this because I need some suggestions for a good Christmas dinner.

I'm thinking of making Ina Garten's Coq Au Vin but I don't know what to serve it with? What would be some good side dishes for this chicken recipe?

Or I may do something else. What do you guys make for Christmas dinner (or Christmas Eve dinner)?

I always think of the holidays as "Ziti Season", because wherever I end up, from Thanksgiving to New Year's Day someone, has made a baked ziti for the masses...

a real one - non of this diet no-fat-cheese-jarred-sauce hullaballou...

and garlic bread....joy! drool1.gif

I will attempt to make this and bring it to my neighbors annual tree-trimming (slash "wine fest"!) party this Sunday. It's a Rachael Ray and she lives kinda near me (Adirondacks) so it should be OK, right? haha

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael...cipe/index.html

Pasta e Fagioli al Forno

Ingredients

Salt

1 pound penne rigate or whole-wheat penne

1/4 pound pancetta, 3 to 4 slices thick cut like bacon

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil

2 ribs celery from the heart with leafy tops, chopped

1 carrot, peeled and grated

1 onion, peeled and chopped

2 to 3 large cloves garlic, finely chopped

2 sprigs fresh rosemary, leaves finely chopped

3 to 4 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves finely chopped

1 fresh bay leaf

Freshly ground black pepper

1 (15-ounce) can small white beans "Roman" beans, such as Goya brand or, cannellini beans, rinsed and drained

1/2 cup dry white wine

2 tablespoons butter

2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

2 cups milk

Nutmeg, to taste

1 1/2 cups grated Romano

Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, cook pasta to just shy of al dente.

Chop pancetta into 1/4-inch dice.

While pasta cooks, heat a skillet with olive oil over medium to medium-high heat. Add pancetta, cook 2 to 3 minutes then add celery, carrot, onions, garlic, rosemary, thyme and bay leaf to the skillet, season with salt and pepper. Saute the vegetables until tender, 6 to 7 minutes. Add beans and heat them through. Stir in 1/2 cup wine, simmer 30 seconds more and turn off heat. Remove bay leaf.

While vegetables cook, place a small sauce pot over medium heat, add butter, melt butter then whisk in flour and cook 1 minute then whisk in milk. Season sauce with salt, pepper and nutmeg and reduce 4 to 5 minutes, stir in half the grated cheese, turn off heat and adjust seasoning.

While sauce cooks, place a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat broiler to high.

Drain pasta and return to the pot, toss with white bean mixture and sauce, stir to coat, transfer to a casserole dish, top with remaining cheese and place in oven to brown, 5 minutes.

QUOTE (Janie @ Dec 16 2008, 11:37 AM)
bumper.gif ing this because I need some suggestions for a good Christmas dinner.

I'm thinking of making Ina Garten's Coq Au Vin but I don't know what to serve it with? What would be some good side dishes for this chicken recipe?

Or I may do something else. What do you guys make for Christmas dinner (or Christmas Eve dinner)?

Christmas Eve, we have tons of finger foods: wings, cocktail hot dogs and sausages, meatballs, shrimp and all the cookies we've made all season long. Plus spirits.

Christmas day is lower key, usually a roast of some sort, but we have a small family, only 3 people usually.

Assorted Char-Broiled shish-kabobs on the Weber, with a couple sacks of potatoes hand sliced thin and fried in best blend for homemade potato chips w/assorted dips. Corn on the cob and mixed garden salad. Assorted beverages and bong tokes...and Football. 2.gif 1022.gif cool10.gif