How the Holocaust rocked Rush front man Geddy Lee

By-Tor & the Jazz Bass

Since we're on the subject maybe I'll share a bit of my grandparents story.

My maternal grandparents were Jewish people from Belarus (in the former soviet union). In 1941 their shtetl Mogilev was turned into a ghetto and of course the people had to wear the star of david, be forced to work as slave labour, etc., but they were very defiant about their lot in life. They bucked the system and eventually the whole place was liquidated. Most of them didn't even make it to the camps.

I have to say I am very proud they fought back and that not everyone went "like sheep to the slaughter" (to their deaths.)

My grandparents escaped somehow (they would never speak of it) and brought my mother and their other children to Canada. Unfortunately, the rest of their families perished. My grandparents and parents are gone now but it sure would have been nice to hear the rest of their story.

Hopefully, nothing like that will ever be allowed to happen again. cocktail.gif

How primative! wacko.gif

Mogilev Liquidation Report #133

My Israel Site

On October 19, 1941, a large-scale operation against the Jews was carried out in Mogilev with the aid of the Police Regiment 'Center.' 3,726 Jews of both sexes and all ages were liquidated by this action. These measures were necessary because, ever since the town of Mogilev was occupied by German troops, the Jews ignored the authority of the Occupying forces. In spite of previous measures taken against them, they not only failed to desist but continued their anti-German activities (sabotage, support of partisans, refusal to work, etc.) to such an extent and with such persistance that, in the interests of establishing order in the rear areas, it could no longer be tolerated.

QUOTE (Delilah @ Feb 17 2005, 12:26 AM)

My maternal grandparents were Jews from Belarus (in the former soviet union). In 1941 their shtetl Mogilev was turned into a ghetto and of course the people had to wear the star of david, be forced to work as slave labour but they were very defiant about their lot in life. They bucked the system and eventually the whole place was liquidated. Most of them didn't even make it to the camps.
I have to say I am very proud that they fought back and that not everyone went "like sheep to the slaughter" to their deaths.
My grandparents escaped somehow (they would never speak of it) and brought my mother and their other children to Canada. Unfortunately, the rest of their families perished. My grandparents and parents are gone now and now that I'm abit older I sure would like to hear the rest of their story.

My Israel Site

On October 19, 1941, a large-scale operation against the Jews was carried out in Mogilev with the aid of the Police Regiment 'Center.' 3,726 Jews of both sexes and all ages were liquidated by this action. These measures were necessary because, ever since the town of Mogilev was occupied by German troops, the Jews ignored the authority of the Occupying forces. In spite of previous measures taken against them, they not only failed to desist but continued their anti-German activities (sabotage, support of partisans, refusal to work, etc.) to such an extent and with such persistance that, in the interests of establishing order in the rear areas, it could no longer be tolerated.

Wow that is a moving story. Thanks for sharing.

It breaks my heart when I think of all the people that suffered in the Holocaust.

I can't comprehend how anyone can be so evil.

QUOTE (Batman @ Feb 17 2005, 06:39 AM)
QUOTE (Delilah @ Feb 17 2005, 12:26 AM)

My maternal grandparents were Jews from Belarus (in the former soviet union). In 1941 their shtetl Mogilev was turned into a ghetto and of course the people had to wear the star of david, be forced to work as slave labour but they were very defiant about their lot in life. They bucked the system and eventually the whole place was liquidated. Most of them didn't even make it to the camps.
I have to say I am very proud that they fought back and that not everyone went "like sheep to the slaughter" to their deaths.
My grandparents escaped somehow (they would never speak of it) and brought my mother and their other children to Canada. Unfortunately, the rest of their families perished. My grandparents and parents are gone now and now that I'm  abit older I sure would like to hear the rest of their story.

My Israel Site

Wow that is a moving story. Thanks for sharing.

It breaks my heart when I think of all the people that suffered in the Holocaust.

I can't comprehend how anyone can be so evil.

awww, thank you honey... lips.gif lips.gif lips.gif lips.gif lips.gif yes, it's pretty crazy, isn't it...

Imagine how close we came to not having Geddy...

QUOTE (happysmiles007 @ Feb 17 2005, 08:38 AM)
thank you both so much for sharing your stories..it's hard to believe how civilized we think we are, but when it comes down to it..

HUGZZZZZZZ rose.gif rose.gif rose.gif rose.gif rose.gif rose.gifrose.gif rose.gif rose.gif

QUOTE (tish @ Feb 17 2005, 09:19 AM)
Yes thank you both for sharing these stories.

Here in Sweden there is a man named Raul Wallenberg that saved many ... his story here

I've paid my respects both in Dachau & Bergen-Belsen.

Wow, thank you for sharing that. And thank God for people like Raul Wallenberg! I would love to visit those camps and pay my respects.

My grandfather was born in Sweden... I loved that man to death.

heart.gif heart.gif

My grandparents were survivors,too.

I have a particular admiration for my grandfather,He was polish, He lost most of his family in the crematoriums, and had many misadventures to save himself throughout Europe,but I remember him as a joyful person.

Does anyone know anything more about the story of Alex's parents? He said on the XM radio broadcats that they were in camps for the duration of WWII also, but I'd never heard that before and it seems that no one else had either.

Kind of explains some of the bond between Al and Ged....they understand things that most of us have little exposure to. That's some karma to grow up with...

QUOTE (Sweetmiracle @ Feb 17 2005, 04:20 PM)
Does anyone know anything more about the story of Alex's parents? He said on the XM radio broadcats that they were in camps for the duration of WWII also, but I'd never heard that before and it seems that no one else had either.

Kind of explains some of the bond between Al and Ged....they understand things that most of us have little exposure to. That's some karma to grow up with...

I didn't know Alex's folks were jewish (yugoslav jews?) wow

QUOTE (Delilah @ Feb 17 2005, 04:50 PM)
QUOTE (Sweetmiracle @ Feb 17 2005, 04:20 PM)

I didn't know Alex's folks were jewish (yugoslav jews?) wow

I don't think they were. About 6 million non-Jews were killed in the camps also. These included dissenters of various sorts, gypsies, gays, and people of various other ethnicities which were seen as non-humans.

Alex is of Slavic descent, so Hitler and his pack of demons would have viewed them as subhumans who were fit only to be the slaves of the Aryan peoples. They were used as slave labor throughout the Third Reich, and liquidated when they got in the way.

I didn't realise that Geddy was Jewish until I heard him comment about his "Jewish hair" on the RIR DVD. I didn't realise the significance of Red Sector A either until I read about it in the Contents Under Pressure book although it explains why it seems to be played on every tour.

The above article has added even more information about a terrible event and the endurance of human spirit.

Archived