Counterparts!

darth by tor

QUOTE (darth by tor @ Feb 16 2005, 02:46 PM)
Recently rediscovered this gem of an Album.
With just one blot on the landscape in the from of "Everday Glory" this album is most cohesive work from the guys post HYF.
And to my mind still their best collection of tracks to date.
Discuss! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif sarcasm.gif

Ahhh, I felt the same on that one when I first heard it. One thing though.... Give Everyday Glory a few listens and come back to this thread ina week or two and give another opinion ont hat song. I did not like it either when I first heard it, but that is a great song after listening a few times... trink39.gif

each of the 90's releases has its moments for me, but none are a solid effort all the way through, imo. There are songs on each one that I like and enjoy, but those releases have never been on my favorites list, unless you count DS.

I was completely in love though, with VT from the first listen and still am, in case anyone thinks I'm just wishing for the good old days of 20 minute epics.

Counterparts is one of my faves, for sure. "Animate" is such a kick-ass, driving kind of song, as is "Cut to the Chase." I love most of the album..."Speed of Love" is probably my least favorite on the album.

I think if we're talking "complete" listens from start to finish, Counterparts is the best one of the three 90's studio releases. I'm a huge fan of all three - but if we specifically are talking about as a whole from start to finish... Counterparts is the strongest, imo. smile.gif

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Feb 16 2005, 03:57 PM)
I was completely in love though, with VT from the first listen and still am, in case anyone thinks I'm just wishing for the good old days of 20 minute epics.

Who are you kidding, man??? I've been around you long enough..... you'd wet your jeans. laugh.gif

I'd love to see your face if you picked up the latest release, looked at the track list, and saw...

1) Cygus X-1 Book III Time: 19:43

wink.gif

I'd wet myself to lol

I like counterparts but speed of love and everyday glory don't cut it IMHO.

They are terrible songs (although not to my taste) they just don't sound as if they belong on this album, they would probably be more at home on Presto. This album has a much darker feel to it and for all the better I feel. I enjoyed this album much more than RTB or T4E.

A solid effort and it suceeds for the mostpart but not quite a classic.

VT is the best out of post HYF territory and I believe it is a classic.

QUOTE (paganoman @ Feb 16 2005, 04:13 PM)

Who are you kidding, man??? I've been around you long enough..... you'd wet your jeans. laugh.gif

I'd love to see your face if you picked up the latest release, looked at the track list, and saw...

wink.gif

laugh.gif I didn't say I would object to that, just trying to illustrate that I can get into new material as well without it being Cygnus Book III biggrin.gif

But yes, for the record, I would wet myself if I saw that on the next release cool.gif

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Feb 16 2005, 05:04 PM)

wink.gif

laugh.gif I didn't say I would object to that, just trying to illustrate that I can get into new material as well without it being Cygnus Book III biggrin.gif

But yes, for the record, I would wet myself if I saw that on the next release cool.gif

icon_really_happy_guy.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif

Then you'd hear over the PA at Walmart:

"Clean up. Audio dept. Bring a mop."

laugh.gif

QUOTE (paganoman @ Feb 16 2005, 05:15 PM)
QUOTE (Snowdog @ Feb 16 2005, 05:04 PM)

wink.gif

icon_really_happy_guy.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif

Then you'd hear over the PA at Walmart:

"Clean up. Audio dept. Bring a mop."

laugh.gif

either that or I'd look like that guy in the Random Pictures thread who was Bungee Jumping laugh.gif

I have got to say that CP is one of my favourites although, to be honest, I love all the Rush albums - they've not let me down yet (although my enjoyment of Signals is hampered by the fact that seemed to record most of it as a two-piece - where was Alex?).

To me, CP has a really good collection songs annd, I feel, is one of the albums that is easiest for a casual listener to relate to. For me, the only downside is Spit it Out - try as I might, I can't get to grips with it.

Suppose i'm not really that qualified to say, coz just bought CP last week, but it's blown me away, great album, best i,ve heard from the guys for a while. But still yet to get RTB and VP. If CP's anything to go by i'm in for a treat 2.gif

I think Counterparts is the most consistently good album of the three done in the 90s. I don't listen to T4E very often. I never could get into it for some reason, even though Neil called it his masterpiece as a drummer. Roll the Bones starts out solid, but seems to have some weaker moments.

Neil took on different lyrical material on CP, for sure. Most of it worked well, I think. Of all the albums I've subjected my wife to, I think she had the most positive response to CP.

Archived