Imagery

DoubleAgent420

Available Light is one of my favorites for this one. For me it paints this picture of a view of a city in black and white. I'm viewing it from above all the traffic and I can see people moving slowly down the sidewalk. Kind of like an old detective movie or something.

The imagery the music gives you. Kind of like Fantasia or something. I'll post some more later.

I find album covers can provide an image for songs from that album. An example is "By-Tor and the Snowdog", where the song conjures up images of a night time scene in a cold semi-dark, snow-ridden place similar to the cover of the album. The scene is set for the battle. The music compliments this perfectly. yes.gif

QUOTE (DoubleAgent420 @ Feb 16 2005, 07:33 AM)
Available Light is one of my favorites for this one. For me it paints this picture of a view of a city in black and white. I'm viewing it from above all the traffic and I can see people moving slowly down the sidewalk. Kind of like an old detective movie or something.

The imagery the music gives you. Kind of like Fantasia or something. I'll post some more later.

goodpost.gif What a great post!!! Awesome thread. I can't wait to see the responses.

There are many for me. But one at a time. I'll start with.

The Analog Kid. The lyrics are so descriptive that I can't help but vividly imagine the kid lying on his back in the grass, ball cap on his head, hands clasped behind his head, left leg bent at the knee and the right leg resting on it, the blade of grass in his teeth.

I see an old white farm house in the background with a huge porch when his mother starts to call him.

But then all that disappears for the chorus. The music immediately puts me 5,000 feet above the ground, and I'm flying. Seeing fleeting images of moutain tops, city streets, and just unidentifyable colors. Rush gives you the best high without chemical assistance. 653.gif 653.gif

Just awesome.

QUOTE (rickyrob @ Feb 16 2005, 08:30 AM)
I find album covers can provide an image for songs from that album. An example is "By-Tor and the Snowdog", where the song conjures up images of a night time scene in a cold semi-dark, snow-ridden place similar to the cover of the album. The scene is set for the battle. The music compliments this perfectly. yes.gif

Yeah thats very true. However when I listen to the song I always imagine the character of By-Tor and the Snowdog to be of manga/anime style.

Cygnus X-1 gives me lovey images of people being ripped apart nerve by nerve unsure.gif

When I hear Scars, for some reason, I imagine a cold wintry night. Stars shining brilliantly like little diamonds. Oak trees, and other 'sleeping' trees are surrounding a grassy knoll. I see Geddy singing on a mountain top, wind blowing in his hair. And Alex and Neil just standing behind him a bit. I have always imagined that during that song.

QUOTE (Cygnus_X1 @ Feb 16 2005, 10:10 AM)
QUOTE (rickyrob @ Feb 16 2005, 08:30 AM)

Yeah thats very true. However when I listen to the song I always imagine the character of By-Tor and the Snowdog to be of manga/anime style.

Cygnus X-1 gives me lovey images of people being ripped apart nerve by nerve unsure.gif

Spaghettification I think they call it... scared.gif 062802puke_prv.gif

The Camera Eye reminds me of a busy highway near a big city where cars are cruising right along and going over curved off ramps and they all go right with the music like they are flowing.

I noticed this one time when I was listening to this song in the car and the eviroment around me went exactly with the music. Now when I hear the song I think of that everytime.

Xanadu on Exit stage left. When Alex plays the part on guitar before the actual song starts, it sounds like a flower blossoming like on a speeded up film, it also reminds me of wet dew dripping off a flower.

I guess every song that puts the listener in a situation or paints a picture of a scene or event does that for me. In Middletown Dreams I always imagine the stout salesman sadly closing the blinds with the bottle in his hand or, in 2112, the fascinated young man who finds an ancient device and marvels at the liquid notes dripping from it. Then there's the seething mob in Witch Hunt or another young man struck dumb with wonder while viewing architecture or paintings or reading evocative literature. Songs like these help me to paint the picture in my mind. Which is what they're supposed to do anyway.

The songs with more abstract topics like Open Secrets, Vital Signs, Peacable Kingdom, and a host of others don't spark much in the way of imagery with me. That's not to say I don't like or appreciate the songs. Hell no. I love pretty much every song they ever did. heart.gif

QUOTE (Indica @ Feb 16 2005, 11:45 AM)
Xanadu on Exit stage left. When Alex plays the part on guitar before the actual song starts, it sounds like a flower blossoming like on a speeded up film, it also reminds me of wet dew dripping off a flower.

cool description! but for me the intro to Xanadu reminds me of 11th grade, in the car on the way to school, clouds of pungent smoke in the car for some strange reason cool.gif

The Camera Eye...visions of crowded NY streets, just like they show in movies. I know this is a literal vision of the song, not really an image.

When I was in NY last summer walking around near Times Square the song kept going thru my head...I kept thinking look at the mass of New Yorkers flowing thru the streets of the city, of course after we paused at a light.

The entire Power Windows album creates a nighttime scene. The view is out of a window on a large travelling bus, silently flying down the highway at about 1:00 AM. There is hardly anyone on the highway, just sights of lightposts glowing soft orange, passing, one by one. The mood is serene and peaceful and evokes thought.

The reason that it does that for me is because that actually happened to me, on an overnight trip to Chicago. Everyone else on the bus was asleep except the driver, and for some reason I just felt like listening to Power Windows so I put it in my CD player. Then I just stared out the window and let the music flow into my head...... and I guess that's how it stuck with me.

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Feb 16 2005, 11:37 AM)
The Camera Eye...visions of crowded NY streets, just like they show in movies. I know this is a literal vision of the song, not really an image.

When I was in NY last summer walking around near Times Square the song kept going thru my head...I kept thinking look at the mass of New Yorkers flowing thru the streets of the city, of course after we paused at a light.

I see that too, but with a birds-eye view....in flight, you know like, banking and diving and climbing and soaring over New York, the Atlantic, London.

I think it would make a cool video. Did anyone else see that thing Jeff Topping (sp?) a Rush fan, put together for Nocturne? It was on Rush.com for a while, but I can't find it now. It was most excellent. I wish I had the time to do stuff like that.

Excellent topic - and I couldn't agree with you more about Available Light - especially since it's near the top of the my 'favorite Rush songs' list...

When I thought about the topic, Rivendell from FBN immediately came to mind. The combination of the descriptive lyrics and the soft, meandering music paints an interesting and somewhat surreal picture for me.

Each listen of the song transports me into an alternate reality...one that is defined and crafted by the imagery of the song.

QUOTE (Jag2112 @ Feb 17 2005, 04:51 PM)
Excellent topic - and I couldn't agree with you more about Available Light - especially since it's near the top of the my 'favorite Rush songs' list...

I love that song too.

One more, the chorus of The Pass makes me think of drifting over the sea under a starlit sky.

When I hear Open Secrets, I see a man and a woman, on opposite sides of a closed bedroom door, trying to struggle through another night, another misunderstanding, harsh words which sting, and cannot be taken back. Trying to find a way, once again, to open their hearts to each other, to trust in one another, yet both afraid to take the first step.

And so they remain silent, until the moment is lost, and they sleep apart, once again.

It went right by me-

Just another wall

There should have been a moment

When we let our barriers fall

For me, this is such a poignant snapshot of a single moment in a long-term relationship, and the struggles they face.

But ultimately, there are words of hope:

Time will do its healing

You've got to let it go

...You could try to understand me-

I could try to understand you...

Great topic, DoubleAgent!

Sweeeeeeeet, that is exactly the way I see it yes.gif I couldn't have said it any better. Great post cool.gif In fact, I just listened to the whole album about an hour ago. I just wub.gif Alex's "haunting guitar" in this wonderful song , "very telling"!!!

The beagle & that troutman guy trink39.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v719/troutbum/101_0192.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v719/troutbum/41200022.jpg

I've got to mention The Trees. The instrumental parts at the end and in the middle put me in a quiet forest with birds chirping and a soft breeze. That song always relaxes me. Its kind of like that part in the movie Phenomenon when John Travolta is gardening and he's really stressed. He looks at the trees swaying in the wind and it calms him down. The Trees always did that for me.

Archived