Producer?

ZYRANNIX

I've been reading through Contents Under Pressure and one name that keeps popping up is Trevor Horn, I was thinking he would be a very interesting mix to the Rush sound and, as Geddy said, its nice to have someone with a different tack on things, whaddya all think?

I'd like to tell you but I don't know who that is. confused13.gif

Trevor burst onto the scene, along with Geoff Downes (ASIA) with Buggles (Video Killed the Radio Star), joined Yes and is now a producer of merit, he produced 90125 and Propaganda amongst others. There was recently a concert at Wembley with a lot of the people he's worked with over the years.

I think Trevor Horns production is fantastic but I don't think it would fit the Rush sound all that much. Personally I think the "sound" of the debut Frankie lp is indistinguishable from the first Seal lp or Yes' 90125. There's nothing wrong with them but the Trevor Horn sound is all over them. That sound would have worked on an lp like Power Windows for instance but not on Vapor Trails. On the other hand, another name that crops up from the GUP era is Steve Lillywhite who I think wold have been a great asset to Vapor Trails. Just listen to early U2 and Big Country to get the feel. Raw and powerful.

TTFN

QUOTE (ZYRANNIX @ Feb 16 2005, 10:43 AM)
Apparently Steve is persona non grata in the Rush camp as he pulled out of GUP at the last moment to work with Simple Minds, however I do agree with you.

That's right. He totally screwed them over good. It was one of the most difficult albums for them to make, and the producer is where the problems all started.

In defence of Lillywhite, I think the new U2 album is their best in 20 years, and his production has a lot to do with that. However, Zyrannix and Cygnus 27 have hit the nail on the head. I seem to recall it's covered in the Grace Under Pressure tourbook, which bsg.gif has reproduced in the references section.

Trevor Horn, interesting, I really loved Yes's Drama and 90125, but tend to agree with 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 and nova67 that it wouldn't work now.

While I disagree with Brutal Truth about Lillywhite's production skills, I would agree that Rick Rubin would be an interesting choice.

I must confess though there's a little part of me that agrees with the "Bring Back Broon" campaign.

I heard an interview with Steve Lillywhite a few years back and he said he had agreed to work with a Canadian band who were big at the time (he didn't refer to Rush by name) but then he was offered the Simply Minds job and instantly said "Yes" forgetting that his time was already taken [Hmm?].

Anyway he then said that the Canadian band had some pretty heavyweight management who said that if he didn't take their job they would make sure he never worked again, to which SL argued, "What you really eant me in the studio with your band even though I don't want to be there?" In the end, as we all know, he went on to produce the Simply Minds album.

That's his take on it anyway, doesn't sound like either party particularly bathed themselves in glory...

Disco

PS SL is a great producer, check out his credits thru google: early U2, Peter Gabriel's thrid for starters. I would love know how GUP would have worked out with him at the helm.

But here's an alleged quote I've just founs on the internet (Google: Steve Lillywhite Rush):-

Lillywhite mentions a client he could have had.

"This group Rush called me up," he says, still sounding slightly amused. "I spoke to the manager and I suddenly saw lots of dollar signs in front of my face. How many records to these guys sell - millions, right? But then I realized, no, I couldn't keep a straight face working with them." And it wasn't even so much a question of losing his rock 'n' roll credibility, he continues "it's more whether I could do them a good job and I know, deep down in my heart, they're the worst group in the world. Or one of the worst. I was tempted, I must admit, but I stuck to my guns."

QUOTE (Brutal Truth @ Feb 17 2005, 04:16 PM)
Lillywhite is obviously a Rolling Stone loving motherfu**er.

That's what we do in Texas.....Tell it like it is!

2.gif

Doesn't anyone care about Peter Collins?? Why get rid of a good thing, stick with what works.

Not sure I ever known such a popular band go through so many producers. wacko.gif

Archived