Neil's "Lost" Grammy

Spike

I know how we all feel about the Grammys - Rush doesn't need accolades from the establishment. But it still would have been nice if Neil and the band had won. As if it's not bad enough that Brian Wilson won.....

The rock instrumental category is one of the small ones, that gets awarded earlier in the day, and nobody ever hears about it. So I open the paper today, and there's an article about how Brian Wilson won the Grammy!! Hardly anyone knows of this category, and there's a whole (short, but whole) AP article about BW winning it. AND - they don't even mention the other nominees. A chance for Rush to be mentioned in an AP article - and they're completely ignored!!!

1287.gif 1287.gif 1287.gif

(BTW - Congrats to Brian Wilson. I may not be happy with the choice, but good sportsmenship, eh?)

QUOTE (Uncle @ Feb 16 2005, 08:20 AM)
Who is Brian Wilson? wacko.gif

Don't ask Brian that question, he may not be able to answer.

He co-founded the Beach Boys, wrote many of their songs back in the day and has been suffering various mental and health problems over the years. I think it's his daughters who made up Wilson Phillips.

A&E aired a very good documentary on the band a few years back. I'm sure you can get it on DVD. I'm not a big Beach Boys fan myself but I enjoyed it. Lot a drama there apparently.

QUOTE (happysmiles007 @ Feb 16 2005, 12:09 PM)
so what was it, a sympathy vote for him..? confused13.gif

yeah, congrats to that other guy, but i still think Neil should've gotten it!! mad.gif

Prolly not so much that as it was a "lifetime achievement" token. I don't believe the Beach Boys ever won a competitive Grammy, because it seemed during their peak they were always competing against The Beatles.

QUOTE (Sodoff Baldrick @ Feb 16 2005, 05:53 AM)

He co-founded the Beach Boys, wrote many of their songs back in the day and has been suffering various mental and health problems over the years. I think it's his daughters who made up Wilson Phillips.

A&E aired a very good documentary on the band a few years back. I'm sure you can get it on DVD. I'm not a big Beach Boys fan myself but I enjoyed it. Lot a drama there apparently.

Neil has mentioned that he likes Brian Wilson's work, very influencial & all. Neil also stated that Pet Sounds is one of the all time great albums, a must own. He may have even called it genius in Traveling Music.

So at least he lost to someone he respects as a musician.

The other pertinent issue, and I referenced this in a previous post is that the "Smile" album was actually written in the late sixties as a follow up to "Pet Sounds", but was never released before Brian went into a long nightmare of mental problems.

It became one of the legendary lost albums of music history, even more so than Prince's Black Album which was eventually released to a hugely underwhelming response.

Smile was totally re-recorded and finally released last year, after an extensive tour which for many, was the equivalent of Syd Barrett getting back on stage with Floyd.

There's a huge history (and myth) surrounding the album, and it was inevitable that it would be recognised in some form. In a real way, this category was never going to be about "What was 2003/4's best instrumental?".

Good comments by some of you. smile.gif I grew up with a big Brian Wilson fan. While he was dragging me to BeachBoy events, I was dragging him to Rush concerts. ala Hemisheres, and Permanant Waves. Back in the day, we use to talk about the Smile album, wondering how it might sound. Needless to say, I bought the Smile album when it came out...I have to say that it is reallly great! The thing to remember, is that Brian made all these arrangements when he was 24 years old, and now finally decided to re-record and finish the album.

"Mrs O'leary's cow" was only one of 3 grammy nominations, this is the only one that won. Another friend of mine commented that this piece was his least favorite on the album, and sort of shrugged its winning with "Well, Brian got his due". So yeah, as said, that is what this award was about. Brian Wilson is one of the grandfathers of Rock music, and somehow, this was his 1st grammy...go figure.

--ditto--

laugh.gif

I thought he played in goal for Arsenal in the 60's... laugh.gif

QUOTE (rickyrob @ Feb 17 2005, 02:18 AM)

--ditto--

laugh.gif

I thought he played in goal for Arsenal in the 60's... laugh.gif

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

QUOTE (analogkid @ Feb 17 2005, 02:27 AM)
I don't know what it is about the U.S. not recognizing one of the great bands of modern time with some well deserved hardware. In a time where a song with three cords is the norm, and lyrics make no sence, I can understand to a point the blindness these idiots have. All I know is I have been a RUSH fan since "74" and will continue until I die. I hope, not only a Grammy or two, but enrollment in the Rock and Roll hall of fame, where they should already be, is in the near future. I just hope it does'nt take as long as it did for BW. fists crying.gif

I don't believe in destiny

or the guiding hand of fate

I don't believe in forever

or love as a mystical state

I don't believe in the stars in the heavens

or angels watching from above

but I believe there's a ghost of a chance

we can find someone to love

and make it last

Brian Wilson was on Fox just now singing "Good Vibrations" before the Daytona 500. He sounded horrible. The grammy he just won was a sympathy grammy and the work he received it for was "doctored up" in the studio. He certainly is undeserving of the Grammy. Neil should have won easily. Brian Wilson is a joke.

Neil, and no one in the band for that matter (but Neil's the guy responsible) will never win a Grammy, I think. Why?

Cause glittering prizes and endless compromises...

we all know too well what they do.

Grammy guys must have taken offence at this line. Three nominations and no winnings so far... Seems like a cruel joke, eh? I duuno if Grammy was already established back in 1980, but they certainly seem to have taken it a little too far.

The Grammys are a joke.

Honestly. There is no way that Behind My Camel or whatever it is called beats YYZ, which is one of the best instrumentals. Winning that dishonorable award in this day and age proves that people are only interested in what is played on the radio the most and what is shown most often on that utterly disgusting station known as MTV.

When you look at Green Day winning the best rock album of the year award, and Usher and others winning a bunch of awards, it's easy to see that those who deliver the Grammy's don't have much taste.

Now, don't get me wrong Green Day fans... I liked their effort with Dookie, but it's my opinion that they've lost that form, and American Idiot is a rather mediocre album in my opinion. It seems nods are given to anyone who will rock out against the government, because that's the cool thing to do.

On second thought, I don't know of any REALLY good rock albums in the 00's, so maybe Green Day was deserving.

And all us loyal Rush fans know that O Baterista is a masterpiece smile.gif We don't need a Grammy to tell us its the best.

Archived