Emotional Songs

sanzo

This topic asks what you think is the most emotional RUSH song

Some moving ones for me are NOBODYS HERO - RESIST - KID GLOVES - EARTHSHINE -LESSONS - TIME STAND STILL

Im sure there are others that iv missed out but theres one song and it makes my heart melt when I hear it..The song is an emotion on its own and I love Geddy Neil and Alex even more stronger every time I hear it,the lyrics,the Mood of the song nearly brings a tear to my eye. I really connect with this song and makes me think about life --the song is Bravado...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Afterimage always strikes a chord with me...

And the lines "The evening plane rises up from the runway, over constellations of light...I look down into a million houses and wonder what you're doing tonight" from Presto always make me feel wistful.

If your talking most emotional delivery by the boys then I would say

Solliliquey (Actually one of the best vocal delivery's in rock history IMO)

Witch Hunt (That OOOOOOOOoooooooOOOOOHHHH OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHH biggrin.gif )

Losing It (Oh my god when that Violin comes in I getting friggin goosebumps so inventive and emotionally done)

Red Sector A (I really do feel the pain that they are trying to get across in this one )

Nobody's Hero (Its plain to see why )

Ghost Rider (It's so personal it can't help be emotional and such a beautiful song, one of their best of all time I think )

QUOTE (Daylin @ Feb 14 2005, 06:09 PM)
The song Tears on 2112, is the most emotional to me.  It always has been, and always will be.  I did and still can relate to it.  fists crying.gif  GeddyFinal.gif

I have to agree with Daylin, this song always pulls at my heart strings. Also like Madrigal from AFTK.

That's a tough one as most of Rush's music is emotional to me.. but if I had to pick one or two (or three):

Losing It

Between the Wheels (haunting)

Everyday Glory

I have to give honorable mention to 2112: Soliloquy when Ged sings:

My spirits are low in the depths of despair

My lifeblood spills over..

Makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

The Pass and Bravado.

"Though every love remains....."

There aren't that many, to be honest... I don't get emotional when listening to Rush -in me they tend to inspire awe, but when I want to get truly emotional about music, I listen to something else. (For example, Marillion's album Afraid Of Sunlight or Selling England By The Pound by Genesis are both perfect for that.)

Anyway, the few I can come up with all work brilliantly as "emotional songs" for me:

Losing It

Afterimage

Available Light

Tears

ah, let's throw in Open Secrets as well

Different Strings...? Well, kind of...I mean, I love it a lot but it doesn't have the grandness that makes me go completely emotional... LOL, this is hard when you start to really think about it!

Let's just say that the first four are a given in this category. cool.gif

QUOTE (sanzo @ Feb 14 2005, 05:34 PM)
This topic asks what you think is the most emotional RUSH song
Some moving ones for me are NOBODYS HERO - RESIST - KID GLOVES - EARTHSHINE -LESSONS - TIME STAND STILL
Im sure there are others that iv missed out but theres one song and it makes my heart melt when I hear it..The song is an emotion on its own and I love Geddy Neil and Alex even more stronger every time I hear it,the lyrics,the Mood of the song nearly brings a tear to my eye. I really connect with this song and makes me think about life --the song is Bravado...

The Pass

Afterimage

yes.gif

For me it has got to be Afterimage, without a doubt.

I loved the song when p/g came out and I love it even more now as it has taken on a personal significance for me since my brother died in 1988, a couple of months after we both went to see them on the HYF tour.

Losing It, The Analog Kid, Presto, The Pass, Bravado, Dreamline, & Everyday Glory..Losing It is probably the most emotional, my great grandmother died from alzheimer's (however you spell it) a few years ago, & i always wondered what it must be like to not remember, to not be able to do the things you do remember..it makes me cry!! sad.gif

I've always felt a strong emotional connection to Rush's music, especially the "newer" material (by newer, I mean post-Moving Pictures Rush). I really get agitated when people say that the guys in Rush are merely machines and write self-indulgent, impersonal music. Very few bands have evoked such strong emotions through their music as Rush, at least to me. Some of my personal favorites:

Losing It

Red Sector A (especially the line "Prayer to profanity")

Middletown Dreams ("another day as drab as today is more than a man can endure")

Mystic Rhythms (just a beautiful song)

Hold Your Fire is chock full of emotional songs. Some of my favorites from this album are Time Stand Still ("summer's going fast..."), Second Nature, Lock and Key, and Tai Shan, the latter a song that I really have grown to love.

The Pass ("Christ what have you done!"

Available Light (along with Mystic Rhythms, perhaps my favorite song in Rush's entire catalog). Presto is such an amazing album, and I think Neil's lyrics for this album are among his best ever.

Ghost of a Chance (I used the lyrics to this song on my wedding bulletins!)

Bravado

Nobody's Hero (song actually brought me to tears when they played it live on the CP tour... it was the song coupled with those damn home movies that did me in ;-)

I need to make a compilation of all these songs and give it to people who think that Rush's music is void of emotion.

Have to agree with RickyRob on this one - The Pass and Afterimage.

Ghost Rider has been a recent addition as it relates to Neill's attempt to come to terms with his loss and every time I hear it, I think of a close friend of mine who died a few months ago.

Losing It

It's a very personal song for me. When I was a teenager I threw away something I was extremely good at by getting mixed up in drugs. By the time I got my life back on track, I was too old & out of shape to get back into it. It's been about 20 years & I still come close to tears everytime I hear that song.

There's quite a few songs that I find emotional.

Losing It, Afterimage, Available Light, Nobody's Hero (as so many other's have mentioned). Also, Sweet Miracle and Presto (get's me every time!)

Lakeside Park brings back memories of my childhood; and Rivendell got me through a really tough period a few years back (I would listen to it over and over - alone, in the dark, trying to calm myself and relax....)

Tears is another emotional song - but more so when I listen to the version with James LaBrie (Dream Theater) singing it - rather than Geddy.

Archived