Neils old Avedis

sanzo

Hey I was thinking how great these crashes sound on the Dvd and throughout his career and was seriously thinking of getting them,does anone know if Neils were the regular Avedis line or some special order like with oversized bells or somthing?

Neil used what is now referred to as the Avedis Zildjian line of cymbals. I would check the old tourbooks to be absolutely positive.

Through the 70's and 80's these were the only line really available from Zildjian until they introduced the K line in the late 80's and then Z's and Customs after that. After the A customs some refer to these as Standard A's.

Zildjian used to do one thing and do it well, but the cymbal market got very competitive during the 80's and Zildjian had to act by introducing new ideas.

I know he used a Ping Ride for a very long time, I believe his was a 22". Thickness of the crashes varied from medium thin to medium to heavy. All sizes are equivalent to the Paragons. The only difference would be the China's, which were a couple of Wuhans (when he still used real cymbals with the electronic kit) and a Zildjian Swish with sizzle rivets near the flange.

Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2

I have a ping ride. I have had it for 20 years, and it still sounds great! I have had many A Zildjians over the years and they are great cymbals. I prefer them and K's to most cymbals.

I have the Paragon 22" ride and sounds great. I was playing a 20" Zildjian Rock ride until it cracked along the edge. Somebody that needed it worse than I did offered to pay me more than it was worth so I sold it to him. I was looking for a ride when I heard about the Paragons and bought it. I always liked the BIG sound of a 22" ride. I wish I still had the first 22" ride I owned and that was a 22" Zildjian Amir. I know they were not great line of cymbals when they were around but for the price, that was as close as you could come to real Zildjians.

QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Feb 15 2005, 10:01 PM)
Sabian Paragons are my favorite. yes.gif trink39.gif NeilFinal.gif

I'm becomming more and more drawn towards the Zildijan A Customs over the Sabian Paragons. I used to love the Paragons, but the more I play on them the more drawn away I become. They just seem way too overblown just because Peart plays them...

QUOTE (kazzman @ Feb 15 2005, 10:47 PM)
QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Feb 15 2005, 10:01 PM)
Sabian Paragons are my favorite.  yes.gif  trink39.gif NeilFinal.gif

I'm becomming more and more drawn towards the Zildijan A Customs over the Sabian Paragons. I used to love the Paragons, but the more I play on them the more drawn away I become. They just seem way too overblown just because Peart plays them...

Yes, exactly. Play what you like and sounds good to 'your' ear. Not what somebody else plays that you like!

Just an interesting point here: I play all over Las Vegas on a weekly and monthly basis in the top rooms and know all the best players. I know of No drummers playing Paragons.

I would have to say I don't know anyone playing Paragons either.

They sound similar to Avedis but darker. The ride sounds like a Ping. I prefer my K crashes to the Paragon crashes. I like the splashes though. The Zildjian splashes are too thick these days.

Neil's old Zildjian crashes were custom. They were the rock crash but instead of Medium-Heavy they were just medium.

I have the Paragons, well most of them and they sound great I'd recomend them to just about anyone who plays rock music,

Edited by cygnus_vismund_cygnus

Just verified tourbooks which say Avedis Zildjian. If they were Customs they would have to state that (comapnies are very particular when it comes to endorsements). Zildjian has a process called Brilliant that adds shimmer to the cymbals and some of the cymbals my friend Adam got from Neil had the brilliant finish, most notably the top hi hat cymbal. The brilliant finish is standard on A Customs, but by special order for Avedis. The brilliant finish has been available since the 70's, long before the Custom line began production.