the "random music thoughts" thread

fledgehog

QUOTE (Rush! @ Aug 23 2008, 11:25 PM)
I need to listen to more Opeth. I've only heard Blackwater Park at the moment but I feel that album is very strong. I'd like to check out more of their material soon.

i'd suggest listening to still life and watershed trink39.gif

----

jaco pastorius is awesome. at least, his self-titled album is. i'll definitely be checking out more of his stuff yes.gif

I was on a major Big Star kick a few months back...those two albums (#1 Record and Radio City) are full of unheralded gems.

Here's my random one for today:

The Band's song "It Makes No Difference" (especially the Last Waltz version) is one of the most devastatingly sad and beautiful songs ever put to tape. I miss Rick Danko.

QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Aug 24 2008, 02:00 AM)

Here's my random one for today:

The Band's song "It Makes No Difference" (especially the Last Waltz version) is one of the most devastatingly sad and beautiful songs ever put to tape. I miss Rick Danko.

the band doesn't get nearly enough appreciation.

---

sister disco by the who randomly got stuck in my head somehow. i haven't even listened to it for months wtf.gif

QUOTE (Rush! @ Aug 23 2008, 10:25 PM)
I need to listen to more Opeth. I've only heard Blackwater Park at the moment but I feel that album is very strong. I'd like to check out more of their material soon.

I'd recommend Ghost Reveries, Damnation and Deliverance. If your going to buy Deliverance or Damnation buy them together though. They contrast the lighter more progressive side and the heavier side of opeth.

Also Iwrestledabearonce's vocalist is amazing.

"Hunger Strike" is NOT Pearl Jam! It was written by Temple of the Dog. Pearl Jam wasnt even a band at this point, Eddie Vedder just happened to be one of the singers. And how come nobody thinks Soundgarden wrote the song? Chris Cornell was the other singer. [rant off]
  • Like 1

QUOTE (theworkingman @ Aug 25 2008, 12:22 AM)
QUOTE (fledgehog @ Aug 24 2008, 08:55 PM)
jump by van halen is wildly overrated, but it is still an amazing song.  i could listen to just jump all day 1022.gif

Van Halen's debut album is one of the most kickass rock albums ever. ph34r.gif

Yeah, that. It is hard to remember, but NO ONE sounded like that at the time.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Aug 25 2008, 03:16 AM)
He's Misstra Know-It-All is a mind-blowingly wonderful song. Hell, all of Innervisions is mind-blowing.

Amen to that. I can't decide if that song is my favorite on that album, or "Visions"...they are both wonderful.

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Aug 23 2008, 12:25 AM)
i need to explore more of the allman brothers band's catalogue. "brothers and sisters" is a great album, as is "eat a peach"

one of my fav bands ever. get them all, great rock n roll . eat a peach is a masterpiece . imo

I also want to buy a lot of The Who albums: Tommy, Quadrophenia, and Who's Next. Which should I start with?
  • Like 1